android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen > Zen Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
a2597 a2597 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Default The Easiest Converter I've Found: AVC

http://www.**************************/p...or_video_free/

Seriously, this thing is the best converter I've seen in near 5 years of using various video converters. Fast, all formats, and FREE.

settings I've been using are converting to 340x240 divx, at anywhere from 700 to 300 kbps, and the quality is amazing. Drag and drop into the player and works great!

Takes about 5 minutes to convert a 30 minute AVI, which ain't bad IMHO.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

You weren't, by any chance, reading my post in this thread were you?

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26766
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Valdr Valdr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PL
Posts: 339
Default

I need to check this software out. Good that it's also mentioned on Video subforum I'll share my experience after some tests.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 03-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Khris Khris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Default

I tried this software, ands its great that for its ease of use, but whenever I try to convert .flvs (like from youtube) its seems that the audio and video are never in sync and are a few seconds off. :\
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Yes, I had this issue too with flv files. It is a setting issue. You have to change the A/V Sync to Default instead of Basic. You usually have to do this with poorer quality videos; most Youtube vids.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Elton Noway's Avatar
Elton Noway Elton Noway is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yes, I had this issue too with flv files. It is a setting issue. You have to change the A/V Sync to Default instead of Basic. You usually have to do this with poorer quality videos; most Youtube vids.
And all this time I've been under the impression you couldn't download videos from Youtube to your computer. I'm assuming you would first save the video to your hard drive prior to transferring it to your DAP. Obviously I'm confused. Even the Youtube web site states their videos can't be downloaded. Would you mind providing the steps used to download and save Youtube videos? Thanks!
__________________
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... not screaming in horror like the passengers in his car.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Use an online tool that will allow for the FLV (Flash Video) files to be downloaded (type in "download youtube" in google):

My favorite:
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/

Then use a conversion tool like AVC to convert it how ever way you like.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Use an online tool that will allow for the FLV (Flash Video) files to be downloaded (type in "download youtube" in google):

My favorite:
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/

Then use a conversion tool like AVC to convert it how ever way you like.
thank you.

i too have just learned that such a thing was possible. there are some cool rally videos i want to show friends at work.

ok i tried this and missed the part about it being FLV file and i tried to play it in windows media player. yeah, that didnt work out to well.

where do i need to look to get a AVC to convert? bear in mind that i dont know what a AVC is.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 03-22-2008, 11:21 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

AVC = Any Video Converter: see first post.

When the file downloads, you need to make sure you save it with a .flv entension if it doesn't arealdy have it. Once the file is downloaded, you will need an FLV Video Player in order to just play the file. I like this one:

http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

If you want to play the FLV file on your Zen, you will have to convert the file over to a support video file of the Zen in order to play it. This is where AVC comes in. Just convert the FLV video you downloaded into a Zen format it likes.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 PM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
AVC = Any Video Converter: see first post.

When the file downloads, you need to make sure you save it with a .flv entension if it doesn't arealdy have it. Once the file is downloaded, you will need an FLV Video Player in order to just play the file. I like this one:

http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

If you want to play the FLV file on your Zen, you will have to convert the file over to a support video file of the Zen in order to play it. This is where AVC comes in. Just convert the FLV video you downloaded into a Zen format it likes.
doh, spaced that out. thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 AM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

so i installed any-video-converter from here:

http://www.**************************/download/

by clicking on the Free Try! ,click here link.

then i grabbed a youtube video using realplayer.

avc said that i was in trial mode and would only convert 3 min of video. i converted the clip that was 3:03 and then used the creative video converter to convert and transfer it to the Zen. i was able to view it and it looked and sounded awesome, however, once it got onto the Zen it was only 2:43 long.

what did i do wrong?
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

It sounds like you downloaded the Pro version trial.
The free version is further down on the page. Use this:

http://www.**************************/a...erter-free.exe
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 AM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It sounds like you downloaded the Pro version trial.
The free version is further down on the page. Use this:

http://www.**************************/a...erter-free.exe
i see said the blind man to the deaf mute.

thanks.

probably shouldnt have been fidling around with all of this at 3 am.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 AM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

ok so i got the full free version now.

however, when i convert the file in the AVC it says it is 3:03. then when i open up the zen converter program it says it is only 2:42 long. i even made sure to delete the old one from earlier.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Elton Noway's Avatar
Elton Noway Elton Noway is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Use an online tool that will allow for the FLV (Flash Video) files to be downloaded (type in "download youtube" in google):

My favorite:
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/

Then use a conversion tool like AVC to convert it how ever way you like.
BobbyRS... You Da Man! THANKS!!!

Thanks to you, and the exchange between you and Greg Donovan in the early morning hours, I woke up this morning to find everything I needed to know about downloading and playing youtube videos on DAP.

I've already downloaded an viewed several videos. Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg donovan View Post
ok so i got the full free version now.

however, when i convert the file in the AVC it says it is 3:03. then when i open up the zen converter program it says it is only 2:42 long. i even made sure to delete the old one from earlier.
Note to Greg... I've used AVC in the past (a great converter) but recently switched over to Super (C). Personally I found it the simplest to use (once you have all the settings selected) Like AVC, Super (C) is another "free" downloadable program for converting flv, mpeg, wmv, etc files to the format required by your specific player.

Since you're running into problems you might want to give Super (C) a shot. To download a free copy, go to this URL, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Download SUPER© setup file”

http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

Once you've selected all your Super (C) settings,you’ll see these settings summarized and listed in the red Output box.

Assuming you've already used TechCrunch to download a Youtube video, and have verified it has a .flv extension (or you renamed it to give it a flv extension)... then all you have to do is Drag and Drop the file on Super (C) into the section indicated and click the button labeled "Encode (Active Files)". Watch the output section for status to know when the conversion has completed. NOTE: Super (C) will save the converted file to a default location C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\Super\Output. You can change the save file location if you like by right-clicking anywhere on the Super (C) dialog box and selecting Output File Saving Management. Specify a folder there and click Save Changes. It will be the files saved in this location that you will transfer to your Zen (DAP).
__________________
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... not screaming in horror like the passengers in his car.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
BobbyRS... You Da Man! THANKS!!!

Thanks to you, and the exchange between you and Greg Donovan in the early morning hours, I woke up this morning to find everything I needed to know about downloading and playing youtube videos on DAP.

I've already downloaded an viewed several videos. Cool!
No problem! I'm glad I helped make your morning brighter.

You guys may want to check out the FAQ I put together over in the FAQ section....
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 AM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

i am following the FAQ instructions and using AVC and transferring the files via the zen media explorer "add media" option and some videos still loose time. and some do not.

one video keeps loosing 21 seconds and another lost nearly a minute.

i have DL'd the videos off of youtube using both realplayer and AVC. that doesnt seem to make a difference in AVC they are both the proper length. i have encoded the flv as mp4 and as avi files. the problem occurs when i transfer them to the zen. but only on these 2 video clips.

it is getting kind of frustrating.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

I've never seen one loose that much time before.... Just to be clear, are you using an online download tool like techcrunch or keepvid and then converting the FLV file over to a supported Zen format (using AVC)? I've never tried it with Realplayer.

So after the conversion, you can watch the videos and they play fine on the computer, but when you transfer them over to the Zen and watch them, they loose time? Only on these two videos...... Maybe try looking for the same video from a different URL to download and try and see if there is a difference.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
greg donovan greg donovan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I've never seen one loose that much time before.... Just to be clear, are you using an online download tool like techcrunch or keepvid and then converting the FLV file over to a supported Zen format (using AVC)? I've never tried it with Realplayer.

So after the conversion, you can watch the videos and they play fine on the computer, but when you transfer them over to the Zen and watch them, they loose time? Only on these two videos...... Maybe try looking for the same video from a different URL to download and try and see if there is a difference.
yep, realplayer down loads them from youtube then i convert them to *.avi in AVC.

i also noticed that when i look at the source file even though it says 5:14 in the AVC library it says 4:22 in the source file.

just tried getting the video from google using the download video feature in AVC instead and it says 5:14 in all the places it is located before and after the conversion to a avi. however, despite the clip being labled at 5:14 on the zen it stopped playing at 4:55. which is better but still frustrating. and this time i just dragged and dropped it directly into the avi folder on my zen using explorer.

and i just watched the 3:03 video and at 2:42 on youtube the video is still playing, but, at 2:42 on my zen the credits are playing. something is not right. the fps is set at 25. should i change that.

this is the video that is givin' me trouble:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRPxqJfGuo

just dl'd and converted a patton oswalt clip the same way and it dropped the last 9 seconds.
i am looking closer and it seems that most of them are ending sooner than the labled time. at least the audio and video are matching up on the patton oswalt clip.

is this just the way the youtube type things work out?
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
MarcelsWayOfLife's Avatar
MarcelsWayOfLife MarcelsWayOfLife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 39
Default

can this tool convert flv ?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.