android
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Encoding Video for the Zen

Hi all. Just registered. Received my 4GB Zen in the mail today and it sure does look sweet.

first off a complaint:

The USB cable, what a joke? The player now hangs in the cable from my comp, lucky its so lightweight...

The bundle: A highly glossy surfaced device, normally you get some sort of pouch with it for protection... but oh wait, those are "cool accessories" priced at 15+ a pop....

Anyway, the screen looks amazing, menus are easy to naviagte, buttons are tactile (but wheres the lit buttons?? Even the puny and cheap Zen V has this...)

Tried to encode a video using the bundled software... "codec missing" bla bla bla... its a regular Xvid... also tried a Simpsons ep... wouldnt take. What a crappy software..

Downloaded SUPER now... (ugliest homepage in the world?), its encoding, will see how it works, has anyone got the best settings for Zen videos to share, please do

Anyway, I will most likely order the protective plastic skin for the player, cause i wanna keep it looking as great as it does now... looking forward to using this on the next longhaul flight or car ride... until then it will be in service as an mp3 player.

I got a SD card for it, will try that out later tonight.

over and out

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

well SUPER wouldnt even encode it... i tried to encode to WMV 8... anyone got any ideas? neeed to get some vids on this thing

Edit:

ok so I found a way, you need to have WMP11 installed, but also the Windows Media Encoder 9 which could be downloaded from microsoft.com
Why is this info not apparent when installing or on the support pages?

its now converting a film, seems to take a while but at least its doing something

Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Help Video Encoding

Hey Zenerized, How did it go? I am shopping for a player, and the Zen looked like it would handle my mp3 needs and also allow me to take some videos along when travelling. My questions: How feasible is it, really, to rip a commercial DVD and play it on a Zen? How much memory room do these videos take -- are they compressed since the screen is so much smaller than the DVD was designed for? I was looking to get a Sandisk player, but after reading through their forum about what it takes to get a movie into the player, it just seemed like too much of a hassle.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 AM

I have been using Clone DVD Mobile with the Zen Vision profile set to 320x240 and 30fps. I can then copy the output straight onto the Zen and play it without any further conversion.

Current Collection: Sony: NWZ-A866, NWZ-A845, NWZ-X1060 Creative: ZEN(32GB), Zen Vision, Zen Micro, Zen NX, Muvo2 Sandisk: Sansa e280, Clip, Clip+, Fuze+ Rio: Carbon iRiver: T60 iPod: Nano, Shuffle Shure: SE530, SE420 SE210 & E3C.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsEm View Post
I have been using Clone DVD Mobile with the Zen Vision profile set to 320x240 and 30fps. I can then copy the output straight onto the Zen and play it without any further conversion.

Wait -- what???

Last time I checked, Clone DVD's Zen profile creates a DivX-encoded AVI file. Are you saying the Zen can play that straight-up without conversion?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 AM

Yes!

Current Collection: Sony: NWZ-A866, NWZ-A845, NWZ-X1060 Creative: ZEN(32GB), Zen Vision, Zen Micro, Zen NX, Muvo2 Sandisk: Sansa e280, Clip, Clip+, Fuze+ Rio: Carbon iRiver: T60 iPod: Nano, Shuffle Shure: SE530, SE420 SE210 & E3C.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM

I just encoded several movies with Super and they work and play great on the Zen?

Tony

Old 11-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Tony,
What settings, did u use 2 convert?
Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Remember if you don't have the codecs you cant handle these videos at all.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarig View Post
Tony,
What settings, did u use 2 convert?
Thanks!
  • Container - AVI
  • Output Video Codec - XviD
  • Audio Output Codec - MP3
  • Video
    • 320 x 240
    • 16 x 9
    • Options
      • High Quality
      • 48k Audio
  • Audio

Old 01-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myet01 View Post
  • Container - AVI
  • Output Video Codec - XviD
  • Audio Output Codec - MP3
  • Video
    • 320 x 240
    • 16 x 9
    • Options
      • High Quality
      • 48k Audio
  • Audio
These settings made the audio out of sync (and with a slight echo) for me on all the videos I converted.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM

I sort of posted this another thread earlier today but i will put it here aswell. I would recomend using iriverter you can download it here then with a profile which was made for the cowon d2 the video should play fine. I have uploaded the d2 profile, once downloaded place in the profiles folder then To change to the d2 go to options > device > IAUDIO > D2.

It should convert a lot faster than the original software and there are no sync issues.
Attached Files
File Type: zip d2.zip (226 Bytes, 596 views)

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 AM

I'll try this. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Well, you were right about one thing - it was much faster at conversion than any other software that I've used, however, when attempting to put the converted file onto the Zen it says that the file type is not supported.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 PM

Thats wierd i have used this all the time and never had a problem. Did you deffintely remember to select the d2 from the options otherwise it wont work.

Apart from that i am not sure, firmware maybe? I am using the latest one.

Edit: I just read your post again and realised what you meant (i think) was the file rejected when trying to copy it over? 'Cos i always put my videos on to sd card then they play fine. If you have an sd card lying around try putting the video on there and see if the zen plays it.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvisi View Post
These settings made the audio out of sync (and with a slight echo) for me on all the videos I converted.
29,7 is probably a problem I think what about 30 instead?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 PM

I too used the d2 profile with iriverter and had the same issue where the file would play fine on the comp, but have a delay when playing on the player. I'll try the flash idea and see if that has any effect.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM

I updated the firmware on my Zen and downloaded the new version of Zen Media Explorer... now the d2 profile works PERFECTLY with my Zen. I was able to transfer the video file straight onto the Zen rather than having to use the SD Card. There is no issues with the video anymore either.

Thank you MB240! Thank you SO much for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm really enjoying using my new Zen now!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 PM

what is this D2 what you are refering to? The only option I can find for iAudio is x5 series.

I use that program with the Creative settings and that works most of the time fine, but sometimes it wont recognise the files that I want to convert.

Have found the file you were referring to. What is the difference in using D2 vs Creative Zen Vision:M

Last edited by swedboy; 02-09-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: more

Old 02-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedboy View Post
what is this D2 what you are refering to? The only option I can find for iAudio is x5 series.

I use that program with the Creative settings and that works most of the time fine, but sometimes it wont recognise the files that I want to convert.

Have found the file you were referring to. What is the difference in using D2 vs Creative Zen Vision:M
The D2 profile refer to the download provide by mb240 in this thread,you download the file and put inside the profile folder then it will work.