android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen > Zen Video

Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it was out of sync converting it to an AVI file. I tried it as a WMV file and it worked. Here is what I used:

Profile: Customized WMV Movie
Codec: WMV V9
Size: 320x240
Video Bitrate: 768

Audio Codec (Greyed Out): WMA 9.2
A/V Sync: Default

I was able to get an WMV file version that was 3.03 in duration without audio/video sync issues.

Edit: If you really want it in an AVI format, BitComet FLV converter worked great:
http://www.bitcomet.com/tools/flvconverter/index.htm
http://download.bitcomet.com/tools/f..._1.0_Setup.exe

Here's the settings I used:

FLV2Video Tab
Export Type: AVI

Video Codec: MS MPEG4 V2
Frame Rate: Original
Bitrate: 800
Frame Size: Original

Audio Codec: MP3
Sample Rate: 44100
Bitrate: 96
Channels: Stereo

After you converted it using BitComet, use AVC to convert it using these settings to get it to work on the Zen:

Profile: Customized AVI Movie (.AVI)
Video Codec: XVID
Video Size: 320x240
Video Framrate: 25
Bitrate: 128
Channels: 2
A/V Sync: Basic

Finally you should have a AVI version of the FLV YouTube video that will work on the Zen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelsWayOfLife View Post
can this tool convert flv ?
Yes.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27711

Edit: Also see thread above about BitComet FLV Converter.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM

sounds good 2 me , think i`ll shoud test it

Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM

BobbyRS,

thanks a bunch for going through that. i will try it out now. i gotta ask, what did you think of the video?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The video was pretty good. I can do without that music though.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
The video was pretty good. I can do without that music though.
yeah, you have to be a pretty harcore grassroots rally fan to dig that song. i have been a co-driver/navigator in a couple rallies so i can identify with the song a bit.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM

well, i tried it as a wmv using those settings using a copy i grabbed with techcrunch.

avc says it is 3:03 long and i get a preview in the little window in avc that is the full video all the way to the fadeout. however, when i try to play it in windows media player there is video but no audio and when i transfer it to the zen it is back down to being labled at 2:42 and there is no video or sound. the creative media explorer even said that it was a supported format and no conversion was needed. grr.

is the problem the creative media explorer?

if so what other methods can i use to add the video clips?

edit:

ok i missed the step in the faq about checking the box to have the player viewable as a PMD.

so i dragged it from the folder on the computer into the folder on the zen. got a mesage saying that something was off and it may not work. clicked yes anyway. and it wont play the WMV.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM

i am definatley too much of a noob to fully understand bitcomet.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like you don't have a setting right in AVC before converting the FLV file into a WMV. When I converted the downloaded FLV file in AVC as a WMV using the settings I posted above, I got a video the same in length without audio/video sync issues. I verified this by playing it in WMP after converting it into a WMV using AVC. From there I just copied right over to the Zen using Windows Explorer.

I don't use any Creative Software, so I am not sure if that is part of your problem or not. It may be.... It sounds like you may be converting again on top of what you already converted (using AVC) when using the Creative software. This may be what is causing your issue. No matter how you convert your file, the Creative software may be giving you the same incorrect result by converting it incorrectly again. Once you convert your file using AVC, you shouldn't have to use the Creative software to convert the video, only transfer it. Or since you now know how to transfer using Windows Explorer, copy the converted file from AVC directly to the Zen, bypassing the Creative software all together.

However, before you copy the video over to the Zen using Windows Explorer and after you have converted the FLV file into a WMV using AVC, try to play it in WMP and make sure the duration is correct and that there are no sync issues; Doing this will verify that the Creative software was your problem, IF it plays correctly now on the Zen.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 AM

are there other settings in AVC besides the ones you posted? because i used those same settings and when i played it in WMP i had the whole video but no sound. it plays perfectly in the AVC window with both sound and video all the way to the end.

thanks again for bearing with me.

oh, and when i play it in WMP it is only 2:42 long as well. however, it is the entire video. color me confused. in youtube it is 3:03 long. avc says it is 3:03 long.

when i am in windows explorer i right click on the file to copy file to the Zen. the file shows up in the video list. but i get now sound or picture and when i try to play it. it sits at 0:00 and if i fast forard it will just go back to 0.

the avi version on the zen works fine except it is cutting out even earlier than before.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I just did it again, creating a WMV version of the video (3:03) using AVC and these settings:

Codec: WMV V9 (or 8, both worked)

Audio Codec (Grayed Out): WMA 9.2
A/V Sync: Default (Do not use Basic)
Track: Default (Grayed Out)

If you use these settings, you get an out of sync shortened video still? I believe the video is ending when the audio track ends, resulting in a cut out video; basically out of sync with each other. If you are getting an out of sync shortened video after converting the FLV file, then the conversion didn't work correctly. Since it worked for me, I'm thinking either:

1. The settings are incorrect.

2. Using an older low end spec computer that can't handle the converting. What kind of computer are you using (the specifications)? Seems odd that you can convert other FLV files though....

3. In combination with number 2, maybe try to use a different program to see if you get a better result. If using a different program and getting the same problems, (if you can) try using a different computer as well to see if you get a different result.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM

yeah i am using those settings and it wont even play on the zen and has no audio in WMP. i put it on the zen using windows explorer.

the computer is a 8 month old Gateway E-295C Tablet Notebook:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.00GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet Edition
1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512MB modules)
120GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD Combo Drive
Intel® GMA X3100 Graphics (with up to 384MB Shared Memory*)

Old 03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What version of Windows Media Player are you using?

Do you have WinXP service Pack 2 installed?

What version of WinXP Tablet Ed. are you using, 2005?

After you convert the FLV file into an WMV using AVC and go to play it back using WMP, what is the duration time for the video?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM

answers in bold.

Quote:
What version of Windows Media Player are you using?

Version 11 with all the current updates.
I also have Quicktime and iTunes loaded on the machine as well. could there be a conflict between WMP and iTunes and/or QT?

Do you have WinXP service Pack 2 installed?

Yes.

What version of WinXP Tablet Ed. are you using, 2005?

WinXP Tablet PC Ed. 2005
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

After you convert the FLV file into an WMV using AVC and go to play it back using WMP, what is the duration time for the video?

just converted it (again) using the specs from this thread. played it in WMP and it has no audio and is 2:42 long and is the whole video.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg donovan View Post
Version 11 with all the current updates.
I also have Quicktime and iTunes loaded on the machine as well. could there be a conflict between WMP and iTunes and/or QT?
No I don't think so. I am thinking this is more of a conversion issue in terms of finding the correct settings or program to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg donovan View Post
just converted it (again) using the specs from this thread. played it in WMP and it has no audio and is 2:42 long and is the whole video.
With these settings:

Codec: WMV V9 (or 8, both worked)

Audio Codec (Grayed Out): WMA 9.2
A/V Sync: Default (Do not use Basic)
Track: Default (Grayed Out)

I get a video of 3:03 in duration just like the original. However, I just noticed that the audio is off just a tad (a little early) and it cuts out at the end for the last couple of seconds.....

Let me run a couple of tests.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM

ok, i am using Super to convert to wmv8.

i found a pretty good tutorial/guide here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/images/gu...superguide.pdf

i now have a video and audio that are 3:03, however, the picture quality is non-existant. but it is the right length. baby steps.

when i do an analysis of the source video in super it tells me it has a framerate of VFR. what does that mean?

AHA! i set the framerate to 29.97 and that did it! 30 was a mess as was 25. it now plays perfectly in WMP.

however, i get this popup message when i try to copy it to the Zen using windows explorer by right clicking on the file and selecting copy to Creative Zen option and sending it to the media library. it says the video format exceeds the capacity of my player. it then asked if i wanted to let it be converted. i clicked yes and it converted and transfered it. and sound and video both ended at the proper time but the picture quality wasnt as good as it was in WMP.

gonna try a drag and drop next. drag and drop asked me if i wanted to convert and i said no and this time i got an error message on the Zen when i tried to play it.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like you are on your way. I'm afraid that there are some adjustments that need to be made to customizing the conversion settings in order to get it to work correctly that AVC doesn't give the options to change. Maybe you will figure it out using Super. I don't have it installed so I don't know. However, I was finally able to get it to work this way:

1. First I used BitComet to convert the FLV file over to WMV with the settings of:

Video Codec: WMV2
Frame Rate: 29.970
Bit Rate: 800
Frame Size: 320x240

Bit Rate: 96
Channels: 2

Unfortunately, it still wouldn't play on the Zen for some reason (Maybe if I used WMV1 instead of WMV2 for the codec????). So then I had to take the converted WMV file I made using BitComet and use AVC to convert it again over to a new WMV file that the Zen likes using these settings:

Video Codec: WMV V8
Video Size: 320x240

Audio Codec: WMA 9.2
A/V Sync: Default
Audio Track: Default

I was then able to copy it over to the Zen using Windows Explorer and it played just fine.

So, it looks like the issue is getting a video conversion program that can manipulate the correct settings needed in order to get a good video file that will work right. The combination above will work if you want to use 2 programs.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I found another way to convert the file (and much easier) and it didn’t require using any software installed on my computer. I used this online conversion tool on a web site here:

http://*******************/convert/

- Set you input file (of the FLV you downloaded from YouTube)
- make sure the "Input Format" audio sets to "FlashVideo (.flv)".
- Set the "Output Format" to "Windows DivX" and "Audio Video Interleave (.avi)”.
- Frames/sec: 29.970
- Set to: "All Data"
- Audio Sync: 0
- Sound Volume: +0
- Resize To: 320x240
- Audio Codec: MP3
- Audio Quality: 128k
- Video Quality: 768
- Video Codec: MPEG4
- FOURCC Header: DIVX

Once the conversion was done, I downloaded it, copied over to the Zen using Windows Explorer. It played on the Zen great!

This online converion tool worked extremely well. I will be adding this to the FAQ!

Last edited by BobbyRS; 03-26-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Download link no longer works for the file I converted

Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM

i will try the super - avc route and see what happens.

this video is such a pain. wonder why it is so difficult?

hopefully someone else will learn from this thread as well. i know i have learned a ton about this stuf today.

thanks again for taking the time to fiddle with this.

is the song growing on you yet?

my kids are running around singin' "hey jonny, jonny" while they play around.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I found another way to convert the file (and much easier) and it didn’t require using any software installed on my computer. I used this online conversion tool on a web site here:

http://*******************/convert/

- Set you input file (of the FLV you downloaded from YouTube)
- make sure the "Input Format" aduto sets to "FlashVideo (.flv)".
- Set the "Output Format" to "Windows DivX" and "Audio Video Interleave (.avi)”.
- Frames/sec: 29.970
- Set to: "All Data"
- Audio Sync: 0
- Sound Volume: +0
- Resize To: 320x240
- Audio Codec: MP3
- Audio Quality: 128k
- Video Quality: 768
- Video Codec: MPEG4
- FOURCC Header: DIVX

Once the conversion was done, I downloaded it, copied over to the Zen using Windows Explorer. It played on the Zen great!

I believe you can download the converted file I made here:
http://w17.*******************/convert/index.php?pg=getmyfile&key=-1&xid=htisjptc

This online converion tool worked extremely well. I will be adding this to the FAQ!
oooh. i will try that next.