android
Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Battery charging never stops

Hi all.
This is my 2nd zen after i returned the 1st one because it was defective.
With this new zen i have other problem; the battery charging never stop's .
I have to remove and connect again so i can check if it's full.
I tried on 4 usb ports, all in the same laptop (in AC Mode). All work well, i use them to charge my cellphone, and connect other devices.
What can i do before going to the store to return one more time (and it will be the last)?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What are you looking at to measure whether or not the Zen is fully charged/still charging or not?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM

uh?
The battery symbol is always charging and never stops, unlike my previous zen, the green bar is always moving, there is something like a thunder symbol meaning it's charging.
When it should be finished the symbol would be all green, static, and with something like a key, like my previous creative zen.
And like the 2 cellular phones i charge in the same ports, my girlfriend mp3, etc...
thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
uh?
The battery symbol is always charging and never stops, unlike my previous zen, the green bar is always moving, there is something like a thunder symbol meaning it's charging.
When it should be finished the symbol would be all green, static, and with something like a key, like my previous creative zen.
And like the 2 cellular phones i charge in the same ports, my girlfriend mp3, etc...
thanks
I was trying to make sure you weren't looking at the window/tab within the properties using Explorer because the percentage of charge for the battery sometimes doesn't update accurately.

When the charge is 100%, the lightening bolt should stop flashing and change to a power plug. The blue light should also stop flashing on the side and stay a constant blue. How long have you left it charging?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM

Hi thanks for the feedback.

The 1st night, yesterday, i left charging about 8 hours.
The one i bought Saturday, with other problems, charged in 4 hours.
After those 4 hours happened what you described when charge is 100%.
But with this it didn't.

I just used a different system, my girlfriend's pc, knowing it wouldn't make any difference...
The lightening bolt doesn't stop flashing and doesn't change to a power plug.
Also the blue light keeps flashing.

I'll have to return it and i've no patient to bring another one, despite it's a great player.
I think i'll just go for ipod :P (just kidding)

Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 AM

Hello there, everyone!
My Zen which I bought 2 months ago has same kind of a problem described earlier in this thread. When I bought it, everything was working as it should: when the battery was fully charged, the flashing lightning bolt icon changed to a power plug.

I don't exactly remember when the problem began, but now the charging never stops and the lightning bolt is always flashing. No matter how long it is plugged, the power plug icon just won't show up. But if I then unplug & replug it in the USB, the power plug icon appears, and on the Properties window on the computer the charge shows 100%. So the player seems to charge itself fully, but the charge stopping system doesn't seem to work properly. A friend of mine also has same kind of a problem with his Zen.

Should I return this Zen for a replacement or is this anything to worry about?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello ZenBMX. Well, if you just recently purchased it and can easily return the Zen, go for it if you like. There is always a chance of the issue being caused by a failing battery, charging circuit.... but then again, it could be as simple as a firmware or even a driver issue. If you can't easily replace it and would be subject to shipping it to Creative for repair, you can try a couple of steps to get it working correctly again. What firmware versions are you guys running on your Zen's? I would make sure you have the latest firmware installed or maybe reinstall the latest firmware if you do to see if that helps with your issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM

I'm running 1.21.01e (the newest European one, should I try the US one?)

Does it matter if the Creative ZEN Manager software is installed or not? I just use WMP to sync the player with my computer, didn't install anything from the Creative CD. Should I install the bundled software?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You only need to use the US firmware if you are wanting to get rid of the volume limit the EU firmware has. See the Zen FAQ for more info.

You do not need any of the Creative software installed. What you are doing is perfectly fine do to with it's usage. You may even be saving yourself from some potential problems by not installing the Creative software.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM

A few complete discharges of the battery seem to have solved the problem! Now the player charges up normally and the power plug icon appears. Now I'm really happy with my Zen, it's a great player

Old 10-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should try reinstalling WMP or upgrading to WMP11 if you haven't already. Reinstalling WMP will reinstall the Windows Media Framework/MTP for Windows.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Well i've had same issue as described here, ZEN was showing charging all the time when connected to PC thru USB cable. Today i've just discharged ZEN completly and plugged in for ~3h now its showing as fully charged!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear paszczak! Thanks for posting. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Sure :-) this forum is great
People from creative should read our posts here and make ZEN even better

Cheers

Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Who knows.... maybe some day they will.

Zen FAQ