Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung K3 / K5

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Default [K3]Solution to being stuck on 3.09 or 4.10 firmware.-*may* also be a fix if bricked.

Hello all

As you may or may not know, firmwares versions 3.09 and 4.10 once installed will not allow you to change the firmware version by any normal means.

I expect you all to have read at least the first post of the HOWTO : Upgrade Firmware (K3) thread before reading this so you at least have a basic idea of the manual firmware updating procedure. Page 6 of this thread is where i first heard of tcctool. It may be helpful to read it. I have tried to put all the information there in this thread.

The only way to change your firmware version once you're on version 3.09 or 4.10 is to use Dave Chapman's tcctool.

tcctool is basically drivers for the K3 when it is in recovery mode.

Here is a simple outline of what you need to do:
1. Plug in your K3 and set it to recovery mode (Hold the power switch and press the pin-hole reset button on the back)
2. Install tcctool as the recovery mode drivers. You do NOT need to uninstall the Samsung drivers. They are comepletely irrelevant to this procedure. - Though if you're switching to a UMS version yuo might as well
3. Use tcctool.exe to boot a firmware version that is lower than the one you would like to install (you may have to copy tcctool.exe in to windows/system32 to use it. Look down a bit for the command you have to use and how to use it.
4. The K3 will boot into this firmware in USB mode. Copy the .rom and .img of the firmware you would like to install to your K3's root directory.
5. Set your K3 back to recovery mode and boot the old firmware again, but this time as soon as it shows the Samsung logo - take out the USB wire. This will cause it to boot the new firmware, but not in to USB mode, thereby causing it to detect the firmware on it's drive and install it.
6. 'Upgrading firmware' Message. Congrats.

Long instructions:
To install tcctool as your K3's recovery mode drivers (Windows XP - I have never used Vista):
1. Download
2. Extract the folder tcctool to anywhere on your computer.
3. Plug your K3 in to your computer via USB.
4. Set your K3 to recovery mode by holding the power on button down and the pressing the pin-hole reset button on the back. A "New Hardware found" window should appear on your computer.
5. Install tcctool as it's drivers. In the new hardware found window choose; search selected folder for drivers. Select the tcctool folder you just extracted. Click next.

tcctool should now be installed.

once tcctool is installed as explained above put tcctool.exe from into your Windows/system32 directory (so you can access it via Start->Run)

note: It seems that you can't install the firmware version that is already booted. So you have to find and older version to boot first.
Now you can boot any .rom file onto your K3 temporarily (until it's turned off) by running this command from Start->Run. E.g.

tcctool -d ypk3 YPK3.rom
Where YPK3.rom is whatever the firmware file is located on your hard drive.
for example, put your YPK3.rom into your computer's C drive (in no folder AKA 'root directory') and type
tcctool -d ypk3 C:\YPK3.rom
the K3 will show the Samsung logo and boot into the chosen firmware.

You now want to boot your 'old' firmware. i.e. older than the firmware you wish to upgrade to (but not necessarily older than your current firmware):
If you are stuck on 3.09 and want to install a UMS version, boot firmware version 4.03.
If you are stuck on 4.10 and want to install a MTP version, boot firmware version 3.05. (or lower? if you want to end up with version 3.05 instead of 3.09)

Open the K3's disc If it asks to format - it probably will - format as FAT32, default allocation size, quick format probably doesn't matter, I didn't.

Copy your desired firmware .rom on to it along with it's .img file. e.g. 4.06/4.10 for UMS OR 3.05/3.09 for MTP. (copy them to it's root directory)

Once you have done this, set your K3 back in to recovery mode (by holding the on switch down and pressing reset) and boot your 'old' rom again using the "tcctool -d ypk3 YPK3.rom" command.
Pull the USB cable out as soon as Samsung logo appears. This will cause it to boot the new firmware, but not in to USB mode, thereby causing it to detect the firmware on it's drive and install it.
You should get the upgrading firmware message and then it should turn off.

Congratulations! You've beaten Samsung's evil plot to stop you from changing firmware version!

Special thanks to MarvinM and Dave Chapman.

Let me know if I've missed anything or if you have any suggestions on how to make this post easier to understand.

Last edited by Sab0o; 03-03-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: adding a little information.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

firmware, samsung