android
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Is my player doomed?

I received a self-winding USB-Creative ZVM adapter for Christmas this year. When I plugged it in, the player locked up. Hmm... So I stopped using it.
Fast forward about a month or so. I needed to charge up the ol' ZVM so I looked for a USB cable and there was the one I mentioned above. Same reaction. Except now, the Up/Down function of the thumb scroll no longer works (it just registers as a tap in the center), left/right still work, shortcut takes me to the "what do you want shortcut to be", back sometimes works immediately after a reset. Same for play and menu.

I've disassembled the player entirely (thanks to previous posters!), checked all connections. I've very comforable with electronics, so if there's a suggestion with testing internal components, I'm all for it.

I tried re-loading the firmware using the 60gb-firmware-uploader and a custom firmware so I could tell the differnce (can't get to any menus without the scroll!). It loaded, but didn't fix it. I'd like to try something from the restore menu, but I can't select anything without the scroll.

I have a remote control for it that plugs into the headphone port. It allows me to play/pause, select FM radio, next/back and volume+/-. I wish the volume up and down gave me all the other things that up and down would do, but sadly - no.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the USB cable the culprit or an unfortunate scapegoat? Cold nights in the car? Old age? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-brian

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2008, 10:07 PM

Just checking in. My Zen still sits in a plastic bag, disassembled, from my last attempt at re-seating the ribbon cable that controls the thumb slider.

Has anyone out there had this happen... and successfully revive the player? It's been a week and I already remember why I hate Rochester, NY radio stations so much.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:57 PM

I'm not a big fan of leaving it out in the cold, display issues that arise.

You can get more button functions by plugging into the dongle port. Try a search for wired remote or dongle fine pitch connector. If you are comfortable with electronics it should be fairly easy build or mod of your existing remote.

shoefly

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM

I wouldn't mind building something like you have described in your previous posts. In the mean time, I think I will "borrow" my father in law's ZVM:30 and try his slide on mine. If that works, then I may be back in business.

Does anyone know how much difference, besides housing, exists between his 30GB and my (fat) 60GB?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM

My guess is no difference in the slide pad, hard drive and case would be the only differences.

shoefly

Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM

My father-in-law brought his ZVM30 to my house over easter. I dismantled the two players side by side and connected his lower housing to my player. It worked fine, and I was able to run a "clean up", then a format (I have all the songs backed up). Then for good measure, I reloaded the firmware and rebooted.

That's where I got myself into trouble. Now, all my 60GB parts put back together boot into a firmware problem. The red banner says:
"Creative ZEN Vision:M (DVP-HD0004)
v1.21.02_0.0.25

My guess is that the firmware lives on the lower circuit board.

I tried taking just the scroll slide off his circuit board and putting it on mine, but I ended up with the same results.

Looks like I need to find someone selling a broken ZVM60 that has a working lower half, but maybe a bad battery, screen or circuit board.