android
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Smudge on screen - how do I safely clean it off?

Beyond me how it got on there since I've had it wrapped in a microfiber sunglass cleaner cloth since I got it. I think I need to put something wet on the screen - is windex ok? or what else should I use? And yeah, I realize this is hardly a sony specific question, but some of these players use different materials for screens, so why not just ask here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Zune Moderator

Try using a damp paper towel and then dry it off with another dry paper towel right away afterward.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 PM

I use lense cleaner for glasses and wipe it down with a lint free clothe.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
General Audio Moderator

eye glass cleaner and a micro fiber cloth never use a paper towel !!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuki View Post
never use a paper towel !!!!
Scracthes!!!!!!!!!

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM

humid paper towel...
but carefully

Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Never use paper for cleaning screens/glasses/etc. Paper contains wood fibers which scratch smooth surfaces eventually. Always use some kind of cloth.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Samsung Moderator

Paper towel? Are you daft man? You might as well rub it with a 2x4 as you're going to accomplish the same thing.

A small bit of non-reactive cleaner and some cloth should do the trick. Try something like a really dilute mixture of dish liquid and water (1 drop in a bottle does the trick). Avoid stuff like rubbing alcohol and windex because it can potentially damage the plastic.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:19 PM

The biggest cause of scratched displays whether removing smudges or fingerprints... is via cleaning! What might be regarded as a safe and simple cleaning process (i.e., "paper towels")... or what seems to be a harmless habit of cleaning of your screen by gently rubbing it on the front of your shirt to remove finger prints... is slowly damaging your display.

A few of the more common ways of cleaning your display, or other clear plastic surfaces like the plastic lenses in your eyeglasses, actually damage the surface rather than clean. First, and most common among MP3 and DAP owners... using your shirt tail to wipe off your display. To save your display you should stop this practice now! Not only does dirt become embedded in clothing rather quickly due factors like perspiration, airborne dust particles, humidity, wiping your hands on your clothes, contact with other surfaces during the day etc... the fabric softener used in the laundering process of your clothing can transfer an oily looking film onto the display. Some of these softening chemicals aren't nice to plastic, can cause pitting or soften the UV coating and make the display even more susceptible to scratching.

Using a paper towel, toilet paper or even Kleenex can put fine scratches in a lens. These are wood-pulp and paper-based products, and are not recommended, even by the manufacturers. You won't notice them at first, but after a year or two, many fine scratches will become evident. Microfiber is the best way to go if you want to be 97% sure. Microfiber (or Microfibre...) is a man made material made from a blend of Polyesters and Polyamide. It's not a cotton or cellulose fibre nor is it a derivitive of either. So why only 97%? Well... Microfiber cloths are great, and the very best solution for general cleaning and removing fingerprints... but they aren’t infallible. Like your clothing, microfiber cloths can trap dust and dirt overtime and these trapped particles can scratch your display. Carrying around a microfiber cloth all wadded up in your jeans pocket for several months can be worse than wiping the display with a paper towel. You need to launder your microfiber cloth regularly to make sure they are clean. You can throw them in the washing machine with the rest of your laundry PROIVIDING you do not use fabric softener.

If not already to confusing... there are good Microfiber cloths bad Microfiber cloths, errr... well... not so much bad as “cheap". You might be able to buy 500 cloths on eBay for 99 cents but if they are actually blackmarket knockoffs made in Kaballistan or some other place you might as well be using a paper towel. In other words don’t buy the cheapest Microfiber cloth you can find.

So how do I personally clean my display? I don’t for the most part. For your own piece of mind I highly recommend >this< as a solution for your S610 or >this< for your A810. Yes I wipe the case against on my shirt to clean it ... but if the case eventually begins to show scratches I'll have no problem polishing them away with a soft rag and some plastic polishing compound (i.e., Novus Plastic Polish, BlueMagic, Displex, or even Brasso which works great). Something I would never dream of doing to the display of my Walkman.

If you are all excited now about Microfiber cloth and want to know even more... go >here< to read 101 things you always wanted to know about Microfiber but were afraid to ask.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
So how do I personally clean my display? I donít for the most part. For your own piece of mind I highly recommend >this< as a solution for your S610 or >this< for your A810. Yes I wipe the case against on my shirt to clean it ... but if the case eventually begins to show scratches I'll have no problem polishing them away with a soft rag and some plastic polishing compound (i.e., Novus Plastic Polish, BlueMagic, Displex, or even Brasso which works great). Something I would never dream of doing to the display of my Walkman.

Agree!!

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 AM

Elton that was truly enlightening, thanks

-AudiTy =o

Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
The biggest cause of scratched displays whether removing smudges or fingerprints... is via cleaning! What might be regarded as a safe and simple cleaning process (i.e., "paper towels")... or what seems to be a harmless habit of cleaning of your screen by gently rubbing it on the front of your shirt to remove finger prints... is slowly damaging your display.

A few of the more common ways of cleaning your display, or other clear plastic surfaces like the plastic lenses in your eyeglasses, actually damage the surface rather than clean. First, and most common among MP3 and DAP owners... using your shirt tail to wipe off your display. To save your display you should stop this practice now! Not only does dirt become embedded in clothing rather quickly due factors like perspiration, airborne dust particles, humidity, wiping your hands on your clothes, contact with other surfaces during the day etc... the fabric softener used in the laundering process of your clothing can transfer an oily looking film onto the display. Some of these softening chemicals aren't nice to plastic, can cause pitting or soften the UV coating and make the display even more susceptible to scratching.

Using a paper towel, toilet paper or even Kleenex can put fine scratches in a lens. These are wood-pulp and paper-based products, and are not recommended, even by the manufacturers. You won't notice them at first, but after a year or two, many fine scratches will become evident. Microfiber is the best way to go if you want to be 97% sure. Microfiber (or Microfibre...) is a man made material made from a blend of Polyesters and Polyamide. It's not a cotton or cellulose fibre nor is it a derivitive of either. So why only 97%? Well... Microfiber cloths are great, and the very best solution for general cleaning and removing fingerprints... but they arenít infallible. Like your clothing, microfiber cloths can trap dust and dirt overtime and these trapped particles can scratch your display. Carrying around a microfiber cloth all wadded up in your jeans pocket for several months can be worse than wiping the display with a paper towel. You need to launder your microfiber cloth regularly to make sure they are clean. You can throw them in the washing machine with the rest of your laundry PROIVIDING you do not use fabric softener.

If not already to confusing... there are good Microfiber cloths bad Microfiber cloths, errr... well... not so much bad as ďcheap". You might be able to buy 500 cloths on eBay for 99 cents but if they are actually blackmarket knockoffs made in Kaballistan or some other place you might as well be using a paper towel. In other words donít buy the cheapest Microfiber cloth you can find.

So how do I personally clean my display? I donít for the most part. For your own piece of mind I highly recommend >this< as a solution for your S610 or >this< for your A810. Yes I wipe the case against on my shirt to clean it ... but if the case eventually begins to show scratches I'll have no problem polishing them away with a soft rag and some plastic polishing compound (i.e., Novus Plastic Polish, BlueMagic, Displex, or even Brasso which works great). Something I would never dream of doing to the display of my Walkman.

If you are all excited now about Microfiber cloth and want to know even more... go >here< to read 101 things you always wanted to know about Microfiber but were afraid to ask.

By GOD - a HIDDEN GEM!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Uhm ok but... I own a S610 and I have noticed the screen cover is made of glass. Looks like real glass. Not plastic. I don't know if that's the case with the other Sony models. And since it's glass, it's very scratch resistant and cleans perfectly mirror-shine every time. I am talking about the screen part only by the way, not the rest of the player.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_ View Post
Uhm ok but... I own a S610 and I have noticed the screen cover is made of glass. Looks like real glass. Not plastic. I don't know if that's the case with the other Sony models. And since it's glass, it's very scratch resistant and cleans perfectly mirror-shine every time. I am talking about the screen part only by the way, not the rest of the player.
It's PLASTIC !!! I should know, I told someone in the forum a while back that it was glass and was nearly killed w/a PSYCHIC BLASTT !!! All joking aside, it's PLASTIC !!!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_ View Post
Yep... as posted by another... Its plastic!. Granted, its a polycarbonate plastic that is very hard and will resist scratches... but its still plastic.

However... if you don't believe it... here's a simple test. Look around the house and find some acetone based nail polish remover, laquer thinner, methyl ethyl ketone, or some other industrial strength solvent. Then... place a drop of the liquid in the middle of your display, wait for about 5 minutes... then wipe it of.

If your display still looks shinny and new... its glass. However, if you now have a foggy divot in the middle of your display that you can't view the screen thru... ... then it's plastic.

Do yourself a BIG favor and DON'T attempt this test... unless you don't mind damaging your display beyond repair.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:00 AM

its not that delicate, but i find its best to use a bestskinsever diy sheet to make a screen protector for it. then you don't have to baby your player..which is just a chore. it maybe hard polycarb but it will still marr if you put it in a pocket with keys and such. and accidents happen. with a good screen protector i have no worries even with keys and such. one less thing to worry about is good.

might as well paste from a thread with the same question
better deal
http://www.meritline.com/sony-walkman.html

silicon cases from there are about 7 bucks shipped. theres a 20% off coupon code. comes with arm band and clip. clip is frankly useless but they are in general, the armband and case are what matters. the fit is basically perfect. even for the volume control on the side. shipped in about 3 days to me.

i got a black and a clear one for my black walkman, i think i prefer the black one because it sorta is nondescript and the white clear one while it lets you see the button labels looks a bit odd on it in my opinion. its just a preference thing. it makes the unit much more rugged and the rubbery feel makes it hard to slip from your hand by accident, and keeps it from sliding off tables with accidental cable tugs etc. makes it so you can handle the unit in a more care free manner.

the best screen protector to use would be the bestskinsever.com do it yourself sheet. under 10 bucks shipped and you got plenty left to protect other things. just cut out a piece bit enough for the screen, it doesn't have to be that exact since the edges are covered by the silicon case. i used a sheet of paper to pencil rub a stencil to get a good fit. its the same material as the invisible shield which is much hyped as either helicopter blade protector film or bumper paint guard for fancy cars depending on who's marketing department you trust. either way it goes on clear and is nearly indestructible..and doesn't peel off easy. its not like the cheap films, this stuff goes on with a bit of spray water. check out some invisible shield videos on youtube if you want to see torture tests or how to put it on right. theres a good one of some guy putting it on an ipod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7n0jQWCSfA

if you damage the film you probably smashed the device anyways nayways the combination of silicon skin+this film makes it rather well protected. you don't have to worry about it in your pocket.

the fluids just water with a small drop of soap mixed in and then allowed to sit until bubbles go away really. use a cheap spray bottle.
any bubbles or small imperfections you couldn't get out during install disappear slowly over a week..its gas permeable. after that its pretty sweet.

screen protector films from big box stores tend to be more saran wrappy static clingy junk. its neither got a perfect contact or securely stuck on or very strong. not good stuff.

do yourself a favor, don't buy stuff from best buy. over priced...and junk.