android
Old 03-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Card Reader Problems

I just got a new Sandisk Extreme II SD card. When I plug the card into my computers built in card reader, the transfer rates are slow, painfully slow. 500/k per second.

Now, when I plug the card into my Zen, then choose removable disk, the transfers are blazing fast. 6-9mb/sec.

My dads computer is the same way, as is the one I have at home. Are all built in media readers just built to be that slow?

Compaq SR1630NX
XP Pro SP II
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1.5g ram

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2008, 06:20 PM

i dont have a card reader myself, so im not sure, but i would say that card readers should be the same speed or better than usb tranfer. perhaps its the type of card reader you have, maybe its a low end manufactured card reader that is cheap.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 PM

The other thing I noticed is the USB port on the media card reader works fast. I know it's running at 2.0 speeds.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It’s most likely due to either a poor quality reader or poor quality drivers or firmware. You can check Compaq's website to see if there has been any driver or firmware updates for the reader. If so, it may improve transfer rates.

Another area to check is if the reader is set for “quick removal” or “performance” within the driver settings (under “Policies” tab in the “Properties” window for the device in Device Manager). Setting it to “Optimize for performance” should give it an improvement, but you will need to use the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the taskbar notification area in order to have it work correctly.

I have installed my share of internal memory card readers in my day and I have noticed that ones that use an IDE interface instead of an USB Header seem to be able to sustain a higher data transfer rate.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It’s most likely due to either a poor quality reader or poor quality drivers or firmware. You can check Compaq's website to see if there has been any driver or firmware updates for the reader. If so, it may improve transfer rates.

Another area to check is if the reader is set for “quick removal” or “performance” within the driver settings (under “Policies” tab in the “Properties” window for the device in Device Manager). Setting it to “Optimize for performance” should give it an improvement, but you will need to use the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the taskbar notification area in order to have it work correctly.

I have installed my share of internal memory card readers in my day and I have noticed that ones that use an IDE interface instead of an USB Header seem to be able to sustain a higher data transfer rate.
Thanks a bunch for the info Bobby. I tried changing the policy to Optimize for Performance and it did not speed things up. Still 500/k/second.

Would you recommend a external card reader than plugs into the 2.0 USB port on my computer? Should that be faster?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you looking to only be using a SD card or will you be using other types of memory cards? Really any newer card reader that supports SDHC and USB 2.0, you should be ok with.

If you are looking to use just the SD card, I have had great experiences with the SanDisk MicroMate for SDHC.
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2018)-SDDR-113-A11-MicroMate_for_SDHC.aspx

If you are looking to use more then just SD cards, then I also have had great experiences with the SanDisk ImageMate 12-1.
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1145)-SDDR-89-A15-SanDisk_ImageMate_12in1_ReaderWriter.aspx

I'm sure if you look around the Net, you can find them cheaper.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Are you looking to only be using a SD card or will you be using other types of memory cards? Really any newer card reader that supports SDHC and USB 2.0, you should be ok with.

If you are looking to use just the SD card, I have had great experiences with the SanDisk MicroMate for SDHC.
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2018)-SDDR-113-A11-MicroMate_for_SDHC.aspx

If you are looking to use more then just SD cards, then I also have had great experiences with the SanDisk ImageMate 12-1.
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1145)-SDDR-89-A15-SanDisk_ImageMate_12in1_ReaderWriter.aspx

I'm sure if you look around the Net, you can find them cheaper.
Thanks. I love the ease of the internal readers, but like I said, all of the ones I have used-2 on Emachines, 1 on my Compaq, and one on my pops HP have been horrible speed wise.

I will get a external. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are some great internal memory card readers too (Amtron and Addonics come to mind), but like I mentioned before, I have noticed IDE versions of them (instead of ones connected just by an internal USB header) seem to have a faster sustained data transfer rate. However, the variety and portability of external versions are more popular and easily obtained. Good luck!