android
Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 AM

Default My replacement HDD adventures

So a number of weeks ago I dropped my ZVM. I must admit it wasn't my smartest move.

The HDD shattered... To pieces. I tried everything from rebooting, to formatting, to re-loading the firmware and all I got was "HardDisk Error".
So With the help of my friends here at ABi, I had a look on ebay and found a replacement HDD at a resonable cost [$50]

I opened my baby up, took her apart and waited for the new HDD to arrive... And waited and waited and when it finally did arrive I eagerly put her back together... Only to once again face the "HardDisk Error" warning. So I took her apart, checked all the connections were okay and not damaged. I was concerned that the connection wasn't the same as my old drive and I e-mailed the guy I bought the new HDD from and asked him to send me out a Toshiba replacement as I knew it would work.

Well 3 weeks later the HDD arrived. I opened the box, only to find the drive has the same connection as the original Samsung one I had bought. "Fair enough" I thought, "they must be standard now, I'll give it a go"

Inserted my ZIF with a little more ease than last time. Tried to boot up my ZVM

And...

Nothing

So I plugged in the usb cable... And the little blue LED was flashing [and making a click noise] a little faster than usual. I plugged it into the mains and everything booted up... Until that is i went to format the HDD and got the "HardDisk Error" again

Now? I'm just going to give up. I think I'll put it up on ebay to sell for parts

So long little buddie... I hardly knew ye

And I KNOW you guys are going to lynch me, but I bought an 80Gb ipod to replace my little ZV:M

I couldn't pass up the bargain for $250... Thats only €160! And considering to buy a 60Gb ZV:M New is around €200-€250... I'd be a fool to pass it up My aunt is bringing it back to me from the states next week

I'm sorry guys... I went to the darkside

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM

don't worry it's understandable.......or is it?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Well i had a budget of €150-ish...

I wanted a high capacity player, that would play video and do all the fancy dancey things my old ZV:M did

Sadly the iPod was the only player I could find that fitted my current criteria and budget

I feel so dirty now, but needs must and the deed is done now

Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 AM

once on the darkside always on the darkside......

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 AM

iSorry

Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM

well maybe not always on the darkside.....

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM

As soon as iCan afford another Creative DAP I'll buy one, because they really are surperior products. In fact they're the only DAP brand I've ever had, thats how good they are. I'm always loyal to a brand. I used to be a nokia girl until the last 2/3 phones I bought crapped out on me [aside from my N73 which was stolen, but I paid almost €400 for that, so no wonder it always worked!] but because they've let me down so much I'm getting used to my new Sony Ericsson. They offer an almost superior phone to nokia at pretty much half the price.

But right now I really can't afford a Creative DAP And I'm selling my baby and her organs to get the money to buy the iPod Do you know how heart breaking that is, my poor ZV:M baby

Like I said, needs must, and I'm going stir crazy without portable music or videos. And my old MuVo flash drive is 128mb, which is nothing. I'm sick of the hassle of changing the songs on it every night.

Please don't disown me because I own an iPod I won't turn into a fangirl I swear!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

We'll figure out pennance for you later. Right now, I want to see if I can still liberate you from iHell...

If you know someone with a 1.8" hard drive USB enclosure, you could place your new drive in it, and see if you can format the drive within Windows. That will at least rule out the drive as being bad. If it formats, place it back in your ZVM, and see if you can format it in the player.

If it still doesn't work, then try disconnecting the battery, plugging into mains (not USB), booting up the player and trying that way. I'm getting the odd feeling your battery might be loading down the system.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 AM

As a last ditch effort I brought it up to a computer repair shop in town. I had brought the first new HDD up to him and he wasn't happy with how the ZIF cable was seating in the HDD so he asked me to return it, and if the 2nd HDD had the same thing he said he'd give it a go.

He was honest and said he's used to working with iPod's but he took it apart, in front of me i might add, and tested everything O_o it seemed to take forever. The HDD was perfectly fine. As was the battery. It's definitly the motherboard [or whatever you fancy calling it] I must have dropped it much harder than I first thought

Oh well, she's up on ebay now to be sold for parts I've bought a BSE for my iPod so when I do get some money together at least I'll keep it in good nick so I can sell it on and buy a Creative DAP once more.

Like I said, the iPod suited my needs and my budget. I'm a broke student, my aunt is bringing the iPod back from the US for me because thats how I got it so cheap. I'm going crazy without music or video on the move which I know everyone can relate to. Yes I've gone to the darkside And iSorry iReally am But at the end of the day and iPod is a DAP just like my ZV:M, it does basically the same things at a cheaper price, its to tie me over for a few months, and then I'll get rid of it a.s.a.p...

iSwear

Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 AM

You're Absolutely right about the sony ericsson part, and i notice that the build quality of nokia is diminishing.

And btw which color iPod u got, black or white?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Black classic

Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 AM

I would have done the same, Black definitely looks better than white on iPods and its less common

Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks death__machine

I guess a DAP is a DAP at the end of the day. And at least I'm buying a... and I use this term lightly... quality product. iPod's are very sellable so when I'm done with it I'll get rid of it pretty quick

Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM

Now that it comes in my mind did you consider the zune 80 gb before selecting the pod?

Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by death__machine View Post
I would have done the same, Black definitely looks better than white on iPods and its less common
There are no more white ipods being manufactured. THe choices are black and silver, but black remains the best choice of color, IMO.

Anomo, sorry about your dilemma. I am curious as how you think the SQ of your iPOD compares to the ZVM. Please post back when you listen to it. As for me, I am very happy with mine. The only trade off for me is the lack of built in FM radio and line in recording. Actually, FM radio is built in but requires a dongle to unlock it.

And you don't need to promise you will sell it shortly. If you are happy with it there is no sense in getting rid of it.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
If you are happy with it there is no sense in getting rid of it.
Seconded.

This site exists to give people an option, not to get iPods off the market. We want competition, it drives R&D and lowers prices.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound
There are no more white ipods being manufactured. THe choices are black and silver, but black remains the best choice of color, IMO.
I didnt know that whites are not manufactured any more. I agree that black pods look better than the rest. White makes me think that, i actually dont have words to describe how much i hate that...
Red ones look cool though, not bad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Seconded.

This site exists to give people an option, not to get iPods off the market. We want competition, it drives R&D and lowers prices.
I third that

Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 PM

At 11.05pm GMT this evening I recieved my iPod

I am terrified O_e

It feels like a toy. Like it'll fall apart in my hand at any moment. I don't know anything about it.

Can I drag'n'drop content to it like I did my ZV:M... How long is its average battery life for playback of audio/video... WHY AM I MISSING 5GB OF SPACE O_O where there isn't anything on it yet O_e Why does it scare me so much... WTF is with the wheel thingy >.< It confuses me... And my menu is halved to give me a preview of whats in each folder-option-submenu-thingy...

THIS DAP IS TOO COMPLICATED
>.<

Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomo View Post
Can I drag'n'drop content to it like I did my ZV:M...
I would assume so, I can on my Shuffle.

Quote:
How long is its average battery life for playback of audio/video...
It should be up to 30 hours of audio playback and 5 of video playback.

Quote:
WHY AM I MISSING 5GB OF SPACE O_O where there isn't anything on it yet
Ready for this? Here we go...

One gigabyte is traditionally thought of as 1,000,000,000 bytes, and that is how it is displayed on product descriptions. However, the the operating system on most computers and DAPs counts one gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes. Why? Because they use binary numbers, not the traditional human decimal system.

The operating system on your iPod is counting the number of actual bytes, divides it by 1,073,741,824, and reports the answer as the amount of storage space available on the hard drive, in gigabytes.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Quote:
WTF is with the wheel thingy
I have no idea. Every time I get to borrow someone's iPod I get weird looks when the first thing I ask is, "which way is do I go to scroll straight down?"

Does this help?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Every time I get to borrow someone's iPod I get weird looks when the first thing I ask is, "which way is do I go to scroll straight down?"

Okay clockwise is down, anti-clockwise is up... I think O_O

Hopefully I can d'n'd content because I'm using MediaMonkey Gold not iTunes to sync and it doesn't sync video. Having said that I've no video to sync at the moment so I'll worry about that when I come to it.

Ugh the whole thing about it being 74.?Gb instead of 80Gb annoys me... I always knew that it calculated it differently, and I think on my ZV:M it was somewhere along the lines of 27Gb not 30Gb... but you don't notice it as much with smaller capacity devices... Having said that I dunno why I'm complaining seeing as I only have 20Gb of music right now... I'm still working towards recovering the stuff I lost when my ZV:M died, and of course adding more along the way

Thanks Chili =]