android
Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Backlight on after turning off?

I turn off my Zen, but the back light is still on. It's not showing anything though, it's dark but you can tell the light is on. I hold the off button some more, but it still doesn't turn off, or on. I can get it to turn off by hitting the reset button though. It's getting quite annoying though, I hate having to hit the reset button to turn it off every time. Is this even normal?

I've also downgraded to the firmware (the firmware I downloaded from the Creative site was .1 or something less than the one that it said I had), it turns off the first time when I want it to turn off but then after that, it does the same thing.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM

What makes you think that the backlight is on?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlzSteven View Post
I hold the off button some more, but it still doesn't turn off, or on.
So, it doesn't even turn back on when it goes into this state?

Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Zen should turn the backlight off even in the standby mode, if it's on as you suggest the display should be darkgrey rather than black. So if the backlight's on and your screen is dark the battery should drain totally after some hours (black color of display with backlight turned on means that all pixels on the screen are active and draining power).

Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdr View Post
Zen should turn the backlight off even in the standby mode, if it's on as you suggest the display should be darkgrey rather than black. So if the backlight's on and your screen is dark the battery should drain totally after some hours (black color of display with backlight turned on means that all pixels on the screen are active and draining power).
It's pretty much the way you explained it, in a way. It's not in standby mode. At least I don't think it's suppose to be standby mode. I hit the off switch, (the thing with the blue light right?) and the screen says, "Shutting down..." and it shuts down. Except the pixels are still active and it's "darkgrey" like you said. It continues to stay that way unless I decide to press the reset button. I don't think it's suppose to be like this because when I try to turn it on again, it doesn't turn on. The only way to really shut it off is to hit the reset button. Once I hit the reset button I can turn it on again. Help?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Out of curiosity, what happens if you plug it into a computer when it is in this state?

I would return it first off if you just purchased this. If you can't return it for a replacement, have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware? You may also want to try reformatting the Zen as well to see if there is a difference. Just make sure you copy over all of you data to the computer before doing so.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM

The computer doesn't recognize it and it stays the same.

How would I reformat it? <.<; And I reuploaded the firmware, twice.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The computer doesn't recognize it and it stays the same.

How would I reformat it? <.<; And I reuploaded the firmware, twice.
To Format - Plug the Zen. Goto Zen Media Explorer. Select "Settings and Information". Goto the "Tools" Tab. Select the "Format" button.

Upgraded to the latest firmware? I thought you mentioned downgrading it.....

Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
To Format - Plug the Zen. Goto Zen Media Explorer. Select "Settings and Information". Goto the "Tools" Tab. Select the "Format" button.

Upgraded to the latest firmware? I thought you mentioned downgrading it.....
Well, the firmware was a 1.21.02 when I first got it. Then I downloaded the software from the Creative website which was 1.21.01. I didn't see a 1.21.02 so I thought that perhaps 1.21.01 would fix my problem. Turns out it didn't.

And yeah, I just reformatted it. It didn't fix the problem. At this point, I think it's a hardware problem so I think I'll go exchange it later this week. Thanks for the help though. :]

Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
At this point, I think it's a hardware problem so I think I'll go exchange it later this week. Thanks for the help though. :]
That is just about what I was getting to. I just wanted to know a few more details before saying so, but yeah if you can still exchange it, that is your best bet.