android
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM

Default 818 drag and drop - date lost

I have used MP3tag to tidy up my albums and then copy and pasted to the 818. However none of the tracks have the date tag intact on the walkman, while it exists ok on the PC.

Anyone else come across this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 PM

I've had the same problem when using drag-and-drop to load my music (getting "Unknown" instead of the year). I've found that the date will appear if you use Windows Media Player 11 or Media Manager for Walkman to transfer music to your player.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Why it just makes sence to sync with WMP11. I never have issues.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Why it just makes sence to sync with WMP11. I never have issues.
Howdy Wings,... maybe you can set me straight. Although I've read many quotes on the virtues of using WMP11 and Sync, I've only used WMP11 to rip and manage my library (with the assistance of MP3tag) but never to sync.

Why? My assumption might be wrong, but to me "Sync" means it would puts your Walkman in sync with your WMP Library collection. I have over 200 albums in my WMP library and there is no way my little 8GB player will hold them all, therefore I've assumed the sync feature wouldn't work in my case.

However... now that I think about it, maybe I drag and drop the albums of choice to the Walkman then use the Sync feature? I guess it depends on if the Walkman syncs to WMP or WMP syncs to the Walkman.

Guess I've give it a try and see what happens.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Limiting The Amount Of Music To Sync Via WMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Howdy Wings,... maybe you can set me straight. Although I've read many quotes on the virtues of using WMP11 and Sync, I've only used WMP11 to rip and manage my library (with the assistance of MP3tag) but never to sync.

Why? My assumption might be wrong, but to me "Sync" means it would puts your Walkman in sync with your WMP Library collection. I have over 200 albums in my WMP library and there is no way my little 8GB player will hold them all, therefore I've assumed the sync feature wouldn't work in my case.

However... now that I think about it, maybe I drag and drop the albums of choice to the Walkman then use the Sync feature? I guess it depends on if the Walkman syncs to WMP or WMP syncs to the Walkman.

Guess I've give it a try and see what happens.
I have the same issue concerning music the amount of music in my WMP Library being larger than my player's capacity. By default in WMP all of the music in your library will sync to your device.

But you can have WMP automatically sync only a certain part of your music library to your player with the use of playlists. To do this, do the following:
  • Set up a playlist or playlists for the music that you want on your player.
  • Connect your player.
  • Click on the "Sync" button and then on the pull down menu select your player's name.
  • A side menu will appear, click on "Set Up Sync..."A device setup window will appear.
  • Check the box for "Sync this device automatically"
  • On the right side of the window (under "Playlists To Sync") you will see a list of all of your playlists (including some default playlists like "All Music"). Use the "remove" button to remove the playlists that you don't want on your player (it doesn't delete them, it just moves them to the left side of the window under "Available Playlists").
  • Click "Finish" to close the window.
Now, only the songs that are in the playlists that you have chosen will automatically sync to your player. For example, I have WMP set up to only sync the playlists containing songs that are rated. If I want to remove a song from the player, I just make it unrated and then sync my player. In the same way, if I want to add a song already in my library to my player, I just give it a rating.

The above also has the advantage that you don't have to continually add and delete songs to your music library just to remove them from your player. It also allows you to fine tune the music that you want on your player. For example: Instead of all rated music, you can easily change it to just have the music rated four stars or better just by creating or changing a playlist.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM

The one thing I don't like with WMP is that it won't let you sync songs to the player that are on another player or device without adding them to your WMP library first.

For example, let's say you friend brings over his portable HDD full of music. You'd have to copy all of it to your computer first, then add it all to your WMP library. Only then could you sync these new songs to your player.

I prefer the MM way of browsing any drive on the computer and telling it to sync with the player.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 AM

Sometimes the WMP also deletes the year and the player cannot see that. Tested today, after odd with the USB Mass Storage copying.. No difference. At least as S618F is concerned. Sometimes the WMP transfers the year or genre, sometimes not (same CD!!)