android
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Album Art + Playlists without using WMP11

Update:
I thought I would update this first post with the current status of the program. This is a summary for those who don't want to read through the whole thread . The program itself is to the point where I'm happy with WalkmanMTP and it does everything that I want it to do. Ok, so here's the current status of what it does and doesn't do:

The player must be connected in MTP mode for WalkmanMTP to work (duh)

Purpose: Use the player to it's full capacity without having to install Windows Media Player 11 or any other bloated media manager. I mostly use AAC format and there were no small / portable programs that let me upload AAC files with album art to the player. Embedding album art to each file works but it's a waste of space I think.

What it does:
1. Upload any kind of file (videos, images, exe, txt, anything you want) to the player without installing WMP11. MP3 files will be uploaded with proper metadata (including the year)
2. Create albums by dragging songs from windows explorer into the program. If the songs are properly tagged, WalkmanMTP will sort them into appropriate albums and add the album art. The album art doesn't have to be embedded into each file, therefore allowing you to change the album art displayed on the player without re-tagging your files
3. Create playlists from songs already on the player.
4. Automatically add thumbnails to videos (requires ffmpeg.exe)
5. No installation necessary to run the program (apart from the .Net framework 2.0, which a lot of windows xp computers already have and which in included by default in Vista). If you don't like it, just delete the folder. No registry entries are created.

Unicode (international characters) in filenames and tags should work properly

What it doesn't do:
1. This is not a media manager nor will it ever be. It was written with the purpose of using the player to it's full capacity without installing Windows Media Player 11.
2. This is not a video encoder / transcoder.

The future:
Of course, there are still some issues to resolve, but I think they're minor and don't have a big imact on the use of the program. I'm always open to suggestions so if you have a feature request, let me know and I'll consider it. There is one thing I may add in the near future: When uploading a video file, it would be cool to automatically extract a frame from the video to show as a preview in the player.
End Update

Hi everyone, I just got an S615F and I find it annoying that in order to make playlists or to have album art (without embedding it into the tag) I have to use WMP.

I am willing (and sort of capable) of making a small app to make playlists and upload album art via MTP. In fact, my first test with album art has already been successful. Getting playlists might be a bit harder though

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to make playlists with the player in UMS mode. Because of this, it's necessary to use MTP which is provided by WMP10 and above. The point of this app would be not to have to mess around with the WMP media library (or other programs libraries like mediamonkey)

I will probably develop this app for myself anyways, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is interested in this.
Hi everyone, I just got an S615F and I find it annoying that in order to make playlists or to have album art (without embedding it into the tag) I have to use WMP.

I am willing (and sort of capable) of making a small app to make playlists and upload album art via MTP. In fact, my first test with album art has already been successful. Getting playlists might be a bit harder though

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to make playlists with the player in UMS mode. Because of this, it's necessary to use MTP which is provided by WMP10 and above. The point of this app would be not to have to mess around with the WMP media library (or other programs libraries like mediamonkey)

I will probably develop this app for myself anyways, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is interested in this.

Last edited by dr. zoidberg; 08-03-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 AM

No interest then apparently.... ok

Old 03-16-2008, 10:05 PM

I just use WMP for my album art and playlists. Since I sync using WMP I do not need another application on my hard drive.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 AM

I wrote my own app to deal with Album Art by embedding the WMP Folder.jpg, and then expanded it to automatically apply ReplayGain, remove unnecessary tags, etc. Not sure about PlayLists, I only put songs I like on the player.

Anyway, just download the Windows Media SDK if you haven't already and you should be good to go. It's all quite trivial to implement, I'm sure you'll have great success!! Good luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM

Me! I'm interested. I complained in another thread about having to use WMP to create playlists. The "sync" action put a bunch of trash onto my Sony player that I had to delete. With drag&drop, I know exactly what is going onto the device.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM

I, too, would be interested in an app that would allow me to reliably deal with album art and playlists via drag-and-drop. Although WMP works fairly well, I'd like the option of being able to use all of my player's features without the need for music management software.

I agree with Elsi about drag-and-drop: I prefer to know exactly what is on my player. With this in mind, I'd like to see a way of being able to create playlists with a text editor and then drag-and-drop them on to the player.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I just use WMP for my album art and playlists. Since I sync using WMP I do not need another application on my hard drive.
Yes, that's fine. The whole reason I'm writing this is so I don't have to use WMP

Quote:
I wrote my own app to deal with Album Art by embedding the WMP Folder.jpg, and then expanded it to automatically apply ReplayGain, remove unnecessary tags, etc. Not sure about PlayLists, I only put songs I like on the player.

Anyway, just download the Windows Media SDK if you haven't already and you should be good to go. It's all quite trivial to implement, I'm sure you'll have great success!! Good luck!
Did you do this via MTP? I'm finding it's not that trivial. I've wasted a lot of time coding a feature only to find out when i'm done, that the player doesn't support the commands I intended to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan
I'd like to see a way of being able to create playlists with a text editor and then drag-and-drop them on to the player.
This would have been great, unfortunately, I don't think this is possible. The only playlists the player supports are ones created via MTP.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. zoidberg View Post
The only playlists the player supports are ones created via MTP.
Ummm... "created" via MTP? That doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it more accurate to say "transferred" via MTP? Or maybe I'm just totally confused.

I could care less about album art. I have no need to see the album covers in my player, and would be happy enough to have a non-video player. But the playlists are important to me. I also don't think I care whether the player connects to my PC using UMS/MCS or MTS; I simply do not want to use WMP and its "sync" option to move mp3 files and playlists onto the player.

So -- I am interested in whatever you can do to build a playlist and deliver it to the player. Ideal would be for your program to read the list of files on the player, and then build the playlist from those files rather than basing the playlist off of files on the PC itself.

And, today, I have access to a Windows PC, but I expect to be using Linux workstations moving into the future, so I'd love to find a solution that will work on the Linux system.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Did you do this via MTP? I'm finding it's not that trivial. I've wasted a lot of time coding a feature only to find out when i'm done, that the player doesn't support the commands I intended to use
Oh goodness no, that's too hard as you found out. What I do is significantly less cool. I run my tool against the MP3s/WMAs themselves and then do all my sync-ing through Media Player. I found early on that MTP was too annoying to deal with directly.

I have an external HDD with all my music on it. I leave everything laid out in the default Media Player Library folder format (Artist\Album\etc). In my cheesy little tool, I point it to the root of the music library and let it rip and roar. It removes any tags I don't want, checks the folder layout against the tags, checks the file names, checks that the genres are listed with Gracenote, etc. Then it takes the Media Player Folder.jpg file and re-embeds it into each MP3/WMA as the album art.

I have a second copy of the library that I also use my tool to 'adjust' for purposes of sync-ing to the player and for my Roku Soundbridge. I call this the "Network Library". The 2 operations I add for that are the ReplayGain and to replace the Artist tags with Album Artist (I have a lot of 'Various Artist' type stuff).

The code is very very low quality, it's just literally crap thrown together that nobody is ever supposed to see. No structure at all You guys are welcome to it if you so desire, and I would be happy to take some time and clean it up if that would have value. You need to be careful with it, of course, since it can make irreparable changes to the tags. It's also geared toward Media Player default formats, so if you prefer different file names or folder layouts, you would have to change the code.

Just let me know. I personally don't think it would be of much use to anyone but me, but you never know

edit: see how ugly and lame?

Last edited by djp952; 03-19-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added image

Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Ummm... "created" via MTP? That doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it more accurate to say "transferred" via MTP?

So -- I am interested in whatever you can do to build a playlist and deliver it to the player. Ideal would be for your program to read the list of files on the player, and then build the playlist from those files rather than basing the playlist off of files on the PC itself.

And, today, I have access to a Windows PC, but I expect to be using Linux workstations moving into the future, so I'd love to find a solution that will work on the Linux system.
On my S615 anyways, the playlists aren't stored in a user visible place. The only way to make playlists is via creating links to various meta data objects. Reading the files on the player and the user being able to make the playlist out of them is one of the first things I plan to do actually (once I get the basics working of course) For linux, MTP support seems to be better actually, which is mind boggling to me. Apparently, the newest version of MTPFS allows you to mount the device and read/write metadata tags and playlists. Having this on windows would be a dream

djp952: once the main things are up and working, I would like to add some more advanced features like in your program. (My code ain't pretty either, lol)

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
This would have been great, unfortunately, I don't think this is possible. The only playlists the player supports are ones created via MTP.
Thanks for responding. Based on what I've read here and in other places in abi, it seems like only option available for a playlist-like function using drag-and-drop (one I mentioned in another thread) is to place your songs you want in a playlist in a separate folder. They will still show up where they are supposed to in the various search options (artist, album, genre), but will also be available as a group in single folder.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Default First pre-alpha release

Hi, here is a taste of what the app will be like. It's very rough right now, i.e. most stuff doesn't work

The only thing that works now is creating playlists from music files already on the player but it is still not complete and very rough.

http://walkmanmtp.googlecode.com/fil...P%20v0.1r3.zip
you will need the .Net framework and possibly the Visual C++ runtime 2008

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM

Here's an updated version
http://code.google.com/p/walkmanmtp/downloads/list

Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 PM

new version again (v0.3.0). You can now upload any kind of file to the player. Normally you are limited to uploading supported file types (unless you're using UMS mode of course)

Known bug: the Playlists folder must already be present in the same directory as MUSIC or else you will get a playlist error. If it's not there, create an empty directory called 'Playlists' (case sensitive) and upload it to the player via explorer

http://code.google.com/p/walkmanmtp/downloads/list

Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Curious, does the software load the playlist onto the player from the songs on it already? regardless of what directory they are in?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Curious, does the software load the playlist onto the player from the songs on it already? regardless of what directory they are in?

The songs should be in the MUSIC folder, but the directory structure inside of the MUSIC folder doesn't matter.

Btw, the bug where the program would give an error if the Playlists folder wasn't prensent has been fixed. Here's a screenshot that I've uploaded but forgot to post

Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 AM

interesting, will give it a full test this weekend.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Thank you very much for this tool and your efforts!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 AM

This is great, thanks! I have a Sony 728 and also hate using WMP.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Default New version

Just a heads up: there's a new version out: v0.3.9.1 This version has lots of bug fixes and big speed improvements compared other releases.

What works (on my test computers anyways)
  • making playlists out of files on the player. Something I discovered is that if you add video files to a playlist, the player will play the audio just like a regular song
  • Uploading any kind of file to the player. For audio files, metadata is automatically added, if it exists. This should solve problems people have been having with the Year not showing up when files are dragged to the player. Note that for AAC files the player seems to read the metadata directly from the file.
What doesn't work
  • Album art is not yet implemented.
  • Some international characters in the file name or in the tag will cause trouble (upload will fail if the character is in the filename, if it's in the tag, the upload will succeed but a square will be displayed where the character should be
Enjoy!