android
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Thank you dr. zoidberg!
I was looking for something like this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

From the look sof this thread it almost seems like people are unaware of WMP11's MTP protocol's ability to right click and make playlists. If you have wmp11 installed, you dont actually have to use it. Just right click a song and select playlist. Open the created playlist and you can drag files from all over the player onto the playlist and click ok and it will work

Old 06-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
From the look sof this thread it almost seems like people are unaware of WMP11's MTP protocol's ability to right click and make playlists. If you have wmp11 installed, you dont actually have to use it. Just right click a song and select playlist. Open the created playlist and you can drag files from all over the player onto the playlist and click ok and it will work

Yes this is a handy feature not many people know about however one of the reasons I wrote this program is so I don't have to install WMP11 .

OK I have some good news: WalkmanMTP now supports adding albums with album art! No more messing around with MP3Tag to add embedded art to each file! Actually, this feature is the main reason I started this project, but it's funny that it was the last feature that was implemented

It's a simple drag and drop operation. All tags will be read and albums will be created automatically. Album art will be added automatically, if there is any. You can also add/change the album art for an album by dragging an image to the area beside "Album Information". See the readme for more detailed info

http://code.google.com/p/walkmanmtp/
I tested this with WMP10 and WMP11 and it seems to work ok. feel free to submit bug reports (or not)

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Thank you very much for this tool.

Got one suggestion, if it is possible. Could you make it so the tool scans the device for the content already transfered to it (say, by drag-n-drop), and convert the content so that it complies with the device?

In other words, when I use MTP, I notice some additional files being added on the device (.alb files?). When I do drag-n-drop, these files are not added. Also, via DnD, the device sometimes fails to recognize the year tag (and maybe album art as well?). So I would like if I could drag and drop whatever I want, the way I want it organized, and then use the software to make it compliant in every way that makes Sony happy. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 PM

You're welcome. In the file management tab you can already drag and drop files/folders to the player and have the proper metadata show up on the player. Note this only works for mp3 files since the player ignores any metadata for any other file type (e.g. for aac files, it uses the file metadata instead of metadata written via mtp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_ View Post
Thank you very much for this tool.

Got one suggestion, if it is possible. Could you make it so the tool scans the device for the content already transfered to it (say, by drag-n-drop), and convert the content so that it complies with the device?

In other words, when I use MTP, I notice some additional files being added on the device (.alb files?). When I do drag-n-drop, these files are not added. Also, via DnD, the device sometimes fails to recognize the year tag (and maybe album art as well?). So I would like if I could drag and drop whatever I want, the way I want it organized, and then use the software to make it compliant in every way that makes Sony happy. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:35 AM

iTunes cover art is preserved and will display on the Walkman (am using a Mac with my A815).

Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 AM

Wow, you mean I can use your software to drag-n-drop in a file/folder structure and it will handle the MTP details? Awesome!

A couple of suggestions...

First, something that looks like a bug? I tried it on 2 different PCs. The Albums tab is always blank with my Sony S618. Maybe it's not implemented yet?

Second, on one of my PCs I use large fonts and the interface becomes a bit 'congested' at some parts, with some text cutting off or falling on top of other elements. A minor aesthetic thing really.

Thanks again!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Me! I'm interested. I complained in another thread about having to use WMP to create playlists. The "sync" action put a bunch of trash onto my Sony player that I had to delete. With drag&drop, I know exactly what is going onto the device.
You do know that you can disable the automatic synch in WMP 11, then go to the 'Sync' tab and just drag over any of the music you want into the pane on the right? Including playlists?
That's the way I do it with my A729, and it works a treat! I use WMP 11 for listening to music on the PC too, so it's nice and easy for me to use one program to do it all.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

dr. zoidberg

Thanks a lot, I've just used your program and it works really great. I've just transferred 2 audiobooks, and now I can see the year and album art on my player, without having to embed or do anything else.

As long as the files are tagged properly, I just dragged and dropped and it puts them in the correct sequence, which is "pretty" important for audiobooks, some of my books have over 200 files.

Great program and thanks

PS Now if only you could put in "remember the last position" as it does in ITunes" it would be like a bookmark feature, and I would LOVE you forever....

Last edited by Marie; 06-17-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM

You're welcome
For remembering the last position, wouldn't the player have to support bookmarking in order for that to work? As far as I know, the S610/A810 series don't support that. I know it remembers the position of the last played song but that's about it.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. zoidberg View Post
For remembering the last position, wouldn't the player have to support bookmarking in order for that to work?
I haven't got a clue, I've just seen it in Itunes, where you have to tick a box to get the player to "remember playback position", so I thought it was possibly a software thing. I don't even know if ipods have bookmarks, I only owned one for a week then I sold it, couldn't stand itunes or the sound of the player.

I just wish Sony would issue a firmware for the A818, which includes bookmarking

Anyway, thanks again for the program

Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 AM

I put the software on the player itself (created a folder) but would not run from there. It still runs fine from my PC. Any idea why that is?

It would be nice to be able to have it on the player, and taking it further, even having it autorun when the player is connected.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_ View Post
I put the software on the player itself (created a folder) but would not run from there. It still runs fine from my PC. Any idea why that is?

It would be nice to be able to have it on the player, and taking it further, even having it autorun when the player is connected.
You have to remember that when the player is in MTP mode, file access is not the same as in mass storage mode. I.e. you can't use the device in the same way you would a flash drive. What I do is exactly what you did, I just copy the program to a folder on my walkman and copy it to the hard drive of any computer whenever I need to use it

Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM

bug report(?)

The program wouldn't copy some files with some french characters in the filenames. Perhaps it's not Unicode ready?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 AM

You're right, it's not fully unicode compatible yet. The next release probably will have better international character support

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM

v0.4.1.4 now has unicode support

Old 07-02-2008, 05:53 AM

Hi!

I have a NWZ S618F.

When I start your program it says "Selected device doesn't seem to be a media player". In addition it says, that the manufactorer ist SanDisk. Any ideas?

It could be that I am in MSC mode because I can drag and drop any files I want to the player and I see all player folders in windows explorer. Many people complained that the Sony Players are MTP and so I was glad that my player started in MSC mode when I first connected it. I have to admit that I don't know the differences between these two modes and don't know what they are actually good for. But from what I read it seems to be MSC mode when you can handle the payer like an external drive. And that's the case with my player.

So do I have to switch to MTP mode before I can use your program or is there another reason why it doesn't work with my player? And if I have to switch to MTP - how do I do that???

Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 AM

Thank you very much! I will test it soon.

One problem I encountered in a previous version... I was trying to create playlists by dragging folders (from the left panel) to the right, but it didn't seem to work.

For example, I have folders CLASSICAL, INSTRUMENTAL, RELAX... I want to be able to make a playlist with the contents of all three of them, and the easiest way would be to drag them into a single playlist.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM

To drag multiple folders, hold down the CTRL key while selecting them. Then drag them to the right side as normal. Don't forget to Sync the player after you're done, or else nothing will get uploaded

Old 07-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savini View Post
Hi!

I have a NWZ S618F.

When I start your program it says "Selected device doesn't seem to be a media player". In addition it says, that the manufactorer ist SanDisk. Any ideas?

It could be that I am in MSC mode because I can drag and drop any files I want to the player and I see all player folders in windows explorer. Many people complained that the Sony Players are MTP and so I was glad that my player started in MSC mode when I first connected it. I have to admit that I don't know the differences between these two modes and don't know what they are actually good for. But from what I read it seems to be MSC mode when you can handle the payer like an external drive. And that's the case with my player.

So do I have to switch to MTP mode before I can use your program or is there another reason why it doesn't work with my player? And if I have to switch to MTP - how do I do that???
You definitely have to switch to MTP mode for WalkmanMTP to work. See this thread for how to do it (pick the MTP driver instead of the mass storage one): http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=212800