android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Album Art + Playlists without using WMP11

Update:
I thought I would update this first post with the current status of the program. This is a summary for those who don't want to read through the whole thread . The program itself is to the point where I'm happy with WalkmanMTP and it does everything that I want it to do. Ok, so here's the current status of what it does and doesn't do:

The player must be connected in MTP mode for WalkmanMTP to work (duh)

Purpose: Use the player to it's full capacity without having to install Windows Media Player 11 or any other bloated media manager. I mostly use AAC format and there were no small / portable programs that let me upload AAC files with album art to the player. Embedding album art to each file works but it's a waste of space I think.

What it does:
1. Upload any kind of file (videos, images, exe, txt, anything you want) to the player without installing WMP11. MP3 files will be uploaded with proper metadata (including the year)
2. Create albums by dragging songs from windows explorer into the program. If the songs are properly tagged, WalkmanMTP will sort them into appropriate albums and add the album art. The album art doesn't have to be embedded into each file, therefore allowing you to change the album art displayed on the player without re-tagging your files
3. Create playlists from songs already on the player.
4. Automatically add thumbnails to videos (requires ffmpeg.exe)
5. No installation necessary to run the program (apart from the .Net framework 2.0, which a lot of windows xp computers already have and which in included by default in Vista). If you don't like it, just delete the folder. No registry entries are created.

Unicode (international characters) in filenames and tags should work properly

What it doesn't do:
1. This is not a media manager nor will it ever be. It was written with the purpose of using the player to it's full capacity without installing Windows Media Player 11.
2. This is not a video encoder / transcoder.

The future:
Of course, there are still some issues to resolve, but I think they're minor and don't have a big imact on the use of the program. I'm always open to suggestions so if you have a feature request, let me know and I'll consider it. There is one thing I may add in the near future: When uploading a video file, it would be cool to automatically extract a frame from the video to show as a preview in the player.
End Update

Hi everyone, I just got an S615F and I find it annoying that in order to make playlists or to have album art (without embedding it into the tag) I have to use WMP.

I am willing (and sort of capable) of making a small app to make playlists and upload album art via MTP. In fact, my first test with album art has already been successful. Getting playlists might be a bit harder though

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to make playlists with the player in UMS mode. Because of this, it's necessary to use MTP which is provided by WMP10 and above. The point of this app would be not to have to mess around with the WMP media library (or other programs libraries like mediamonkey)

I will probably develop this app for myself anyways, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is interested in this.
Hi everyone, I just got an S615F and I find it annoying that in order to make playlists or to have album art (without embedding it into the tag) I have to use WMP.

I am willing (and sort of capable) of making a small app to make playlists and upload album art via MTP. In fact, my first test with album art has already been successful. Getting playlists might be a bit harder though

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to make playlists with the player in UMS mode. Because of this, it's necessary to use MTP which is provided by WMP10 and above. The point of this app would be not to have to mess around with the WMP media library (or other programs libraries like mediamonkey)

I will probably develop this app for myself anyways, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is interested in this.

Last edited by dr. zoidberg; 08-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]