android
  #461  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
gupti's Avatar
gupti gupti is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 171
Default

In these years of smart phones, I also have one: The Blackberry 7290! Best phone I have ever owned. I previously had the Samsung Gravity (Stolen), then the LG Neon (Slow).



The funny thing is that this 2004/2005 phone had the ability to change your wallpaper, way before iOS 4 on the iPhone.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #462  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default



I have no need for a smartphone yet. I plan on getting this here Samsung T404G via TracFone on the holidays (it's on sale). My current phone sux, I will never buy a resistive touchscreen device again !

@gupti, I've always liked Blackberries for some reason (never owned one tho). And lol the wallpaper changing reminds me of the iOS 5 update, 200+ new features, while most of them already existed through apps or jailbreak .
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #463  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
gupti's Avatar
gupti gupti is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 171
Default

@McDougal, That's Apple for you. Many people say that Apple is the only innovative company, and that other people are copying their ideas. I find that statement absurd. Dropbox existed cloud way before iCloud, the drag-down notification bar (and voice commands) from iOS 5 are stolen from Android, iMessage is a copy from BBM, the list just goes on and on... And yeah, Multitasking, WiFi Sync and wallpapers were jailbroken modifications before Apple implemented them officially. I wouldn't be surprised if they stole parts of the code to use for themselves.

Don't forget that Siri was originally an app on the App Store before it was bought by Apple.
Reply With Quote

  #464  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
austinv austinv is offline
Founding father of iAudiophile
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenexa KS
Posts: 36
Default

Sprint
1999: Nokia 6185
2001: Samsung Uproar
2003: Samsung A460
2005: HTC PPC6700
2006: Sanyo PM-8200
2007: Blackberry 7130e
2008: Blackberry Curve 8330
2009: Blackberry Tour 9630 wonky trackball on 3 units
2010: HTC Evo 4G
2011: HTC Evo 3D
2012: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (when it gets to Sprint)
Reply With Quote

  #465  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
El C's Avatar
El C El C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 366
Default

Good choice McDougal, regular phones don't get obsolete as fast as smartphones do.

I still have 1.5 years left on my contract before I can finally ditch my 9700... and Rogers as well.
__________________
Desktop: Objective2 > Audio Technica A900
Portable: Cowon D2+ > Headstage Arrow 3G > Phonak PFE 112 (grey filters + Comply tips)
Reply With Quote

  #466  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post


I have no need for a smartphone yet. I plan on getting this here Samsung T404G via TracFone on the holidays (it's on sale). My current phone sux, I will never buy a resistive touchscreen device again !

@gupti, I've always liked Blackberries for some reason (never owned one tho). And lol the wallpaper changing reminds me of the iOS 5 update, 200+ new features, while most of them already existed through apps or jailbreak .
You should have gotten the phone I got then....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #467  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

lol now I'm starting to wonder if the LG 500G is a better option. The T404G has risen up to $60 and I'm not sure it's worth that much for a basic texting phone.

I've read some reviews and I actually found out that the 500G is capable of running Opera, and has a standard headphone jack (the Samsung does not).

The 500G is significantly cheaper, I may just go with that. My only concern is the keyboard on the 500G isn't as large as the Samsung. Anyone who has this phone, is it easy to text on the 500G?

Thanks for the help !
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #468  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
lol now I'm starting to wonder if the LG 500G is a better option. The T404G has risen up to $60 and I'm not sure it's worth that much for a basic texting phone.

I've read some reviews and I actually found out that the 500G is capable of running Opera, and has a standard headphone jack (the Samsung does not).

The 500G is significantly cheaper, I may just go with that. My only concern is the keyboard on the 500G isn't as large as the Samsung. Anyone who has this phone, is it easy to text on the 500G?

Thanks for the help !
Look one post above yours....lol.
It's not bad, the texting. Someone with really big fingers would need to use their thumbnails, but it beats the hell out of numberpad texting. Only time it sucks is when someone with a non-Tracfone is texting you faster than you can reply *cough*TDS*cough*.....you get interrupted by an alert each incoming message, even if you're typing.

I have not even tried the headphone jack, or web browsing with this phone.....both would defeat the true purpose of a TracFone entirely.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #469  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Thanks for the info Marvin. Sounds like I'll be getting this phone instead.

I don't plan on using browsing that much, just for an occasional e-mail check. Doing a lot of browsing would use up a ton of minutes and it's probably not that fast either.

One thing that sucks though is I discovered it'll only accept microSD cards up to 4GB . Which means I can't use my 32GB card, but a 4GB card shouldn't cost much anyway (and I've got my iPod for music, lol).

I'm going to hope that TracFone's website will work for me so I can transfer my number too. I hate having to call their service every time.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #470  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Thanks for the info Marvin. Sounds like I'll be getting this phone instead.

I don't plan on using browsing that much, just for an occasional e-mail check. Doing a lot of browsing would use up a ton of minutes and it's probably not that fast either.

One thing that sucks though is I discovered it'll only accept microSD cards up to 4GB . Which means I can't use my 32GB card, but a 4GB card shouldn't cost much anyway (and I've got my iPod for music, lol).

I'm going to hope that TracFone's website will work for me so I can transfer my number too. I hate having to call their service every time.
Mine came with a 4GB card in the box with the phone....and the website let my number transfer just fine.

Best thing is, it connects to your computer with micro-USB, so unlike my last phone, I can get ringtones without having to use minutes to download them.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #471  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Look one post above yours....lol.
It's not bad, the texting. Someone with really big fingers would need to use their thumbnails, but it beats the hell out of numberpad texting. Only time it sucks is when someone with a non-Tracfone is texting you faster than you can reply *cough*TDS*cough*.....you get interrupted by an alert each incoming message, even if you're typing.

I have not even tried the headphone jack, or web browsing with this phone.....both would defeat the true purpose of a TracFone entirely.
Bitch!!! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote

  #472  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Mine came with a 4GB card in the box with the phone....and the website let my number transfer just fine.

Best thing is, it connects to your computer with micro-USB, so unlike my last phone, I can get ringtones without having to use minutes to download them.
That's great, I don't even have to buy one now . And lol I don't even do ringtones, mine's always on vibrate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Bitch!!! LOL!!!
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #473  
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
That's great, I don't even have to buy one now . And lol I don't even do ringtones, mine's always on vibrate .
My text alert is this at high volume....scares the crap out of people!
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #474  
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Lagoo56's Avatar
Lagoo56 Lagoo56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SI,NY
Posts: 737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
I'm striving with my Samsung Strive

I'm STILL using the Samsung Strive,it just keeps chugging along like it was made to do,even after falling over 1000 times,now thats some durability especially without a case lol And it still outlives most smartphones battery life wise.
__________________
DAPs I own: Rockboxed Sansa C250 2GB+64GB MicroSDXC
Tablets I own:Rooted 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Sungsonic 2 HD JB 4.1.2
Rooted 80GB Asus Memopad HD 7

Last edited by Lagoo56; 02-13-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #475  
Old 02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

@Marvin, have you ever had a problem with the browser key on your phone? I read some reviews on Amazon and quite a lot of people complain about that button. They say they accidentally press it and it wastes their minutes.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #476  
Old 02-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
@Marvin, have you ever had a problem with the browser key on your phone? I read some reviews on Amazon and quite a lot of people complain about that button. They say they accidentally press it and it wastes their minutes.
I've hit the button, but the same button also cancels it....I'd say at most I've only lost a minute or two in 1.5 months. Just pay attention to the phone when you are pushing buttons and all should be fine.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #477  
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've hit the button, but the same button also cancels it....I'd say at most I've only lost a minute or two in 1.5 months. Just pay attention to the phone when you are pushing buttons and all should be fine.
Thanks for the info, sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

My phone should come this week. And yes, I am excited for a $20 phone !
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #478  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 AM
jamaljan jamaljan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 147
Default

I use SE W810i and have kept Nokia 1100 as backup
Reply With Quote

  #479  
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

I am now a proud owner of an LG 500G from TracFone !

But......there was no 4GB microSD included . Oh well, they're pretty cheap, I'll just buy a new one.

Also, for once, TracFone's site actually worked. I was able to successfully transfer my number and minutes/service days from my old phone.

The keyboard is so much easier. I can type faster now !
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #480  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
reventon reventon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sacramento
Posts: 171
Default

have a samsung galaxy s. not a bad phone at all. runs gingerbread 2.3.5.
__________________
Sony NWZS616F 4gb Red
Creative Zen 4gb Black
Sony E345 16gb
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.