android
Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Default Syncing to 32gb with MediaMonkey

OK, I read a lot about MM and about the Zen. My 32gb from Amazon was delivered yesterday and (knock on wood), after syncing a few CD's, videos and pics as a test and no problems, I really like the Zen so far. Sounds is great, but I can see what people mean about the volume. Doesn't go as loud as my e280, but also no distortion either. Sounds is great.

Now MM has been a challenge. It isn't as intuitive as I thought it would be, but with all the features I can see the value of it.

Questions about syncing with it:
- I am on hour 4 of syncing up about 28gb. Should it take that long? I am converting everything down to 128kpbs first to keep room on the Zen for other stuff.
- Also, I read this on the MM forum too, but is it accurate to say that if you use auto-sync, it will re-copy over files even if they are already on the Zen???? WMP 10 doesn't do that. If it is already there it skips it. Seems a waste of time to re-sync unless I am missing something.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 PM

In MM, right-click on the Zen and select Options. You can set your autosync preferences in the dialog boxes that pop up, and tell it to either ignore or over-write files already on the Zen.

As for the time it takes, my Zen Touch syncs 16GB of music in 20 minutes. Logically, yours should take less than one hour. Are you on a USB 2.0 or a USB 1.1 connection? On USB 1.1 I have to leave it plugged in over night

Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Zune Moderator

It is not the syncing that is taking forever it is the converting of every single file. I'd be willing to bet it would go way faster if you didn't have it converting the files.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
It is not the syncing that is taking forever it is the converting of every single file. I'd be willing to bet it would go way faster if you didn't have it converting the files.
Well, I'd say 25 gb out of my 30gb collection is already 128kbps, so only 5gb should be converted. And yes, the USB port is 2.0. 8gb on my Sansa e280 takes about 20 minutes and I convert there also, granted I was using WMP but got frustrated by some limitations.

Chili - I right clicked and looked for something like what you are describing and I don't see it. Any chance you can take a screen shot of yours and post it to explicity show me where that option is, or tell me exactly what tab to choose toi find it?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel II View Post
Chili - I right clicked and looked for something like what you are describing and I don't see it. Any chance you can take a screen shot of yours and post it to explicity show me where that option is, or tell me exactly what tab to choose toi find it?
The reason you don't see it is because I'm an idiot.

I was typing from memory, without actually having MM open... turns out that when I used that function I was in Winamp. Please excuse me for half an hour, I'm going to go stand in the corner and look stupid.

(If you're on USB 2.0, and syncing is as slow as you describe even without converting. I would try a different USB port next, as well as a different cable.)