android
Old 03-16-2008, 03:45 AM

Default Please convince me

Hi All,

I am looking for a DAP. Now I have narrowed to Creative Zen and Sony S618.

Assuming that I am happy with these 2 units features regardless whether do I need them or not. Can someone give me a or some reasons why I should get the A618 and not the Creative Zen?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 AM

There are some reasons for choosing Sony S618F over Creative Zen:
- Based on some reviews & user opinions Sony Walkmans have superior sound quality.
- S610 & A810 series are unofficially UMS/MSC (Universal Mass Storage) compliant so they can be used with Linux, *BSD , Mac OS X and any other UMS compatible OS.
- S610 has longer battery life.
- I -as a Mac user- prefer H.264 to WMV so S610 H.264 compatiblity was an advantage to me.
There are many advantages in Zen too, so it is really based on your needs that makes a player better than another one.
Sorry for my bad English!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousehunt View Post
Hi All,

Assuming that I am happy with these 2 units features regardless whether do I need them or not. Can someone give me a or some reasons why I should get the A618 and not the Creative Zen?

Thanks.
At first glance, feature for feature, the Zen would appear to be the clear winner. I could list all the great things about both players but its evident you already did that or you wouldn't have narrowed it to these two models.

The Zen was on my short list at one time. It appeared to have everything I wanted... but when the user reviews and independent tests started being posted on the web, its short comings became evident.

Two things killed the Zen for me 1) I wanted a SD slot to expand the memory capability. Problem is the SD slot on the Zen is not integrated with the player. It acts like a player with two separate storage compartments. (Videos, playlists etc, wont span over to the SD card. You have to access playlists or video on the card separately from the data stored in the main memory. 2) The dreaded "White Screen of Death" (Some refer to it as the black screen) but the result is the same. It locks up!

Also, the Zen doesn't play well with Windows Media Player, Doesn't play well with Windows Vista, Doesn't play at all with MAC or Linux.

The list goes on and on... but the bottom line is the Zen has a great user interface and lots of features but it also has lots of Bugs. (And Creative support is almost nonexistent.) I really wanted the Zen to work but after reading all the reviews the S618 was the clear choice.

Do yourself a favor. As you may know, Amazon uses a 5 Star Rating system with 5 Stars being the best. Navigate to the top left hand corner of this link and click on and read each of the individual 1 Star, 2 Star and 3 Star user review sections.

Then read the same 1 Star, 2 Star and 3 Star review sections for the S618 found here.

Both players have 5 Star reviews, but hopefully after reading through all the 1,2 & 3 star Zen reviews you'll convince yourself you might be better off with the S618. While none of the mp3 players on the market do everything I'd like them to do... the S618 came the closest for me.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Deside for yourself what you want. It does not matter what others think. In the long run it is what you like. Read the reviews, try them both out if you can in the shop.
I myself bought the Sony A816.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
At first glance, feature for feature, the Zen would appear to be the clear winner. I could list all the great things about both players but its evident you already did that or you wouldn't have narrowed it to these two models.

The Zen was on my short list at one time. It appeared to have everything I wanted... but when the user reviews and independent tests started being posted on the web, its short comings became evident.

Two things killed the Zen for me 1) I wanted a SD slot to expand the memory capability. Problem is the SD slot on the Zen is not integrated with the player. It acts like a player with two separate storage compartments. (Videos, playlists etc, wont span over to the SD card. You have to access playlists or video on the card separately from the data stored in the main memory. 2) The dreaded "White Screen of Death" (Some refer to it as the black screen) but the result is the same. It locks up!

Also, the Zen doesn't play well with Windows Media Player, Doesn't play well with Windows Vista, Doesn't play at all with MAC or Linux.

The list goes on and on... but the bottom line is the Zen has a great user interface and lots of features but it also has lots of Bugs. (And Creative support is almost nonexistent.) I really wanted the Zen to work but after reading all the reviews the S618 was the clear choice.

Do yourself a favor. As you may know, Amazon uses a 5 Star Rating system with 5 Stars being the best. Navigate to the top left hand corner of this link and click on and read each of the individual 1 Star, 2 Star and 3 Star user review sections.

Then read the same 1 Star, 2 Star and 3 Star review sections for the S618 found here.

Both players have 5 Star reviews, but hopefully after reading through all the 1,2 & 3 star Zen reviews you'll convince yourself you might be better off with the S618. While none of the mp3 players on the market do everything I'd like them to do... the S618 came the closest for me.

Got both (S618 & Zen 32gb) and the sony is just a KILLER player. Only gripe is the low capacity - 8gb. Makes up for it on all other fronts IMO, the most important is SOUND QUALITY!!! But still, only go for what you feel is best for you. Look at the reviews on Amazon and you'll see what people really think of both players. I like the Zen and I hope (by some MIRACLE) they improve the sound w/an update. Go with the sony and you CAN'T GO WRONG!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 PM

I finally bought a 4GB version. It is really expensive (US$170) here compared to the US. The player is really good and I love it!!! It can even display Asian fonts!! They still throw in a case cover, protection screen and tattoo for free!!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I finally bought a 4GB version. It is really expensive (US$170) here compared to the US. The player is really good and I love it!!! It can even display Asian fonts!! They still throw in a case cover, protection screen and tattoo for free!!
Where did you bought your S610 series? (which country?)

Thats a steal!!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 AM

I bought it in Singapore. Why do you say that it is a steal? Amazon is selling the 8GB at US$169!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I bought it in Singapore. Why do you say that it is a steal? Amazon is selling the 8GB at US$169!!!
I'm from Singapore too, where and how much did you bought your S610 series 4GB?

I wanna buy it too.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM

Go to Sim Lim Square 2nd level Song Brothers. They will most probably offer you S$239 but say you are wiling to pay S$230 only. If they counter offer, say no and walk away.

However, go to 1st level and search for Edison Electronics. They are selling at S$220 but always no stock.

Good luck and let us know the outcome!!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Go to Sim Lim Square 2nd level Song Brothers. They will most probably offer you S$239 but say you are wiling to pay S$230 only. If they counter offer, say no and walk away.

However, go to 1st level and search for Edison Electronics. They are selling at S$220 but always no stock.

Good luck and let us know the outcome!!
But only Song Brother comes with Casing and Screen Protector right?

Price from official Sony Stores:
Screen Protector = SG$15
Hard Casing = SG$ 39
Silicon Casing = SG$ 35

Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Actually it consists of a sling too (I think that is what it is called. You know those cell phone with a string tied to it?).

It comes in a box. It is actually a free gift from Sony. So if you go to any honest shop, they will offer the same thing to you. the box consists of a silicon case, screen protector, tattoo and the sling. It is while stock last basis.

Edison electronics also offer the same package at S$220 but they are always out of stock!! In Song Brothers, the player seems to sell very well and when I was there, a China tourist bought 2 at one go. Also, not many shops sell Sony player in SLS.

So you may want to act fast.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
Creative Zen is a quite sub-par player, the Sony is nice... however, may I suggest you look at the Cowon D2 as well?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
Not sure if you've made a decision yet but interestingly enough... here’s a comparison from the good folks at anythingbutipod!

I guess in thinking about it... in addition to the much better sound quality on the Sony... the deal breaker for me is lack of a hardware volume control on the Zen. When jogging or falling asleep at night the last thing I want to do is have to look at the display just to adjust the volume.