android
Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Default Need help choosing a hardrive

I was thinking about upgrading my 30gb to something a bit bigger. The 30gb works ok for me because I don't put all my movies on there. But as I would like to put more stuff on here soon I'm gonna need more space. I've read through some of threads but I'm having some difficulty finding a drive that would work best. I want at least a 60gb that will fit in there without much difficulty. Also do i need an adapter for it?
Sorry all the questions. I havent messed with this player much.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

If you want to go bigger than 60GB, its going to be a bit of a struggle. And here's why: the 30GB ZVM can only accomodate another 5mm hard drive. The only 5mm hard drives that will fit inside the ZVM are:

1. Seagate ST760211DE 60GB (proven to work in a ZVM)
2. Samsung HS081HA 80GB (not yet proven to work in a ZVM)
3. Toshiba MK8022GAA 80GB (not yet proven to work in a ZVM)

1 is currently available for purchase from multiple vendors; do a Froogle search.

2 & 3 are not currently available on the market but can be extracted from an iPod Classic. I have not gotten #2 to work yet when extracted from an iPod Classic; and I have not yet tried #3.

However, if you want to go bigger than 60GB and are dead-set on it, it is possible. But you will need to get a thicker backing for your Zen because the really big ones are 8mm thick. I do have one thick backing in stock on my website.

The only 8mm thick hard drive I can think of that has proven to work in a ZVM is the Toshiba MK1011GAH 100GB. There is a member of this forum who has successfully done this upgrade.

Regarding hard drive connectors: you will need the ZIF connector for any one of these upgrades. If you currently have Pins connector you can purchase the ZIF one from my website.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM

I wonder if three would work. I could get that pretty easily on ebay for 50 bucks or so.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Oh my, I am extremely surprised that those have been selling for under $100 on Ebay. Maybe you can get lucky and nab one! I'm going to try too though

Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPod-classic-80G...QQcmdZViewItem

Heres one, I wont be going after one yet, YOu can try to nab that one, Although it may be for more than 50 bucks. I thought it might but now its not looking so good. I'll catch on sooner or later.

The price just went up! , Was that you or another bidder

Would this harddrive ever "maybe" work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/60GB-iPod-Hard-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

The price is going to end at least $20 higher than it currently is, but it likely won't go higher than $100. If you look at the trends of the other ones that sold recently on Ebay, they went for between $60 and $80. Very, very surprising.

When the MK8022GAA finally becomes available on the market, it will likely start out at $150 and settle to $130 within the first month. The average price for the 60GB ST760211DE is $110 brand new.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM

I watch ebay for a while. Ill get lucky one of these days