android
Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Zen Font Size

Hello, first post here.

Been looking at a few players (I watch for the reviews here and dpreview for years) and am thinking of finally replacing my Creative Zen. (the old 20gb HD White one) While that unit still works for me quite well, it's not good for "where" I use it. I have it hardwired into the Alpine 9487 in my M3. Great sound! But that screen is almost impossible to read while driving. (small fonts, no contrast, black fonts on blue background)

I've been thinking about the Zune 80, it has large fonts, great contrast, and that 80gb is sweet. (being able to wireless synch when I pull into the garage is cool too, though I generally keep the majority of my media on the player)

The Zen 32 though looks cool, I like the idea of the no HD (though my old Zen has been rock solid, and know that my car has track springs/shocks/sways/etc, I can tell what side is heads when I run over a dime! ) it's small size form factor, etc. But having not seen one I have no idea if my old eyes (am 48) could make out that small screen at a glance....

Any thoughts? I'll try to see one, I imagine Circuit City carrys them....

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM

I've only had mine a few days and just used it for the first time in the car today. The fonts are easy to read (IMHO). But, the screen does wash out easily in the sunlight (it doesn't even have to be direct sunlight).

So far the Zen has been treating me right. Only problem I had was it crashed on one of my WMA files (also has DRM) over and over again, so I deleted it from the player. I have not updated to the latest firmware that is suppose to play WMA's better. I get no crackling as others have reported. Is suspect the DRM is what is messing it up.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't think Sunlight would too often be a problem for me, my Windows are pretty dark tinted, and most use would be early morning and late afternoon. (have a 70m per day commute in SoCal) And neither unit would be really used for videos (I have a 61" 1080P set for that!) but one thing once you get over 40 is your up close vision really starts to suck, that and you generally need more light or much better contrast. That little screen does have me a bit worried...

Also, have they fixed the SD card issue yet? I remember long ago hearing it was to be in a firmware update at some point...

Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM

By SD card problem, do you mean the files being integrated into the main database?

No, not yet. Still some debate if they ever will or not.

It would be nice, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I am going to put all sound-tracks/compilation CD's and live CD's/bootlegs onto an SD card, and leave the main memory for my core stuff.

It should take my 30gb library and break it up to about a 20/10 split and will leave me plenty of room for growth.

I actually like the idea of splitting them now, if I can figure out the best way to manage it thru MediaMonkey and tagging. One thing I hate about mixing all my live stuff with studio recordings is when you put it in shuffle mode. Greatly increases the chance of hearing same songs close together.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 PM

90% of my Music is Bootlegs from the 60's to Current, I just enjoy live shows. (specially Zep and Pink Floyd) and I rarely use shuffle mode, so I guess its not a deal breaker for me either, would be nice if memory was all treated as one if ya want it so....

Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only thing I can suggest is to go take a look at the Zen. Since I don't know how well your eye sight is, it may be fine, it may not. You may be better off with the larger font size of the Zune, especially if you prefer the larger fonts and have plans for the wireless feature as well.