android
  #1  
Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default new to sdhc card

What a great forum! So much information! I haven't been able to find the answer to this, so maybe you all will be able to help.
I am actually on my second pilot. The first one I purchased was for my 13 year old son. Works great, he loves it. Since it worked so well what I wanted to do was get one for my 80 year old mother (who lives 4 hours away) for her to use for audio books. What I want to do is mail a SDHD card back and forth between us, so that I can load it with books, and she can just plug it in and listen. I bought a Transcend 8gb card, just got it today. I tried to plug it into my son's Pilot after loading some books and playlists on,(I used Winamp to make playlists) but the Pilot won't get past the 'loading library' phase. Do I need to format first? It is showing up as Fat32. Does the Pilot need to be in something other than file and folder mode? Do I have to format the Pilot with the card in the first time to get it to work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
S
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

What the others have said is the card will only play MP3 or other non DRM files I believe. I have not personally purchased a card yet. Just use the hard drive for DRM library books should hold plenty of books. But since you are sending them to her, you can only check out books that you are able to burn to CD with Windows Media Player. Very tedious to do so, and takes times, but you can do it. I have done it. Hopefully someone else can help you more.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Actually, all my books are mp3 formats, my own rips, so no problems with the library issue here. I played around with the card a little more, and I think the issue was the playlists I made in Winamp and stored on the card. I guess the Pilot just couldn't read them?? If anyone knows how to pre-make playlists on the external card, please let me know.
Thanks!
S
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 AM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Did you already read this?

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ight=SDHC+card


My guess is you need to transfer books with your card in the Pilot. Try that. Also, try formatting the SDHC, or erase as the case may be.

Have you put audio books in (MP3) in the "Audible" folder yet? Just curious (on your son's Pilot). I am still struggling with that feature myself. I just wondered how it is suppose to work with autoresume....

Good luck, I hope someone helps with your problem. That is a nice thing your sending books to her.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Yes, I have put mp3 audio books in the 'Audible' file. I have his in file/folder mode, so I am just dragging folders over. The resume works great, and so do the bookmarks. So far for audio books this has been the best player out there. Or, I guess I should clarify, the best player for mp3 audio books, since that is all I use.
Can't wait for the 8gb to go on sale again, I think I need one too!
S
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Yes this player does playback audio books extremely well. My books that are MP3 were originally made with Itunes. I went into MP3tag and changed the tags from ID3.2.2 to ID3.2.3 and it all plays in order now, but it will not autoresume.... So then I made a playlist .m3u with the MP3tag software. I did drag and drop the book into the "Audible" but it just won't autoresume. It does have over 60 parts that are less than 20 minutes each.

How long are your sections? Did you make them with Winamp? Sounds like you have most of the features figured out.

I did try it with a different MP3 books from LibroVox and that did autoresume. I think the Pilot doesn't like Itunes is all I can think of, but unfortunately I have been using that for years so I have to convert this to work somehow.

How much are the SDHC cards now?
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Transcend 8gb $33 + shipping. on Newegg. Not bad to double the capacity of the 8gb Pilot!
I usually use Music Match Jukebox to rip the CDs as mp3s. Then I use Mp3 Splitter/Joiner to join all the tracks of each CD together. I never worry about the ID3 tags, I just label them as CD 001, CD 002, etc, that way they play in order when I choose Add All Now Playing. So each of my sections are pretty long. Sorry, never use iTunes! Have you tried using 'bookmark'? Does it work with iTuned books?
S
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

That is an excellent buy on the 8gb card. I have never done business with Newegg.

It seems all the experts are taking a break from the forum, I am not getting responses back myself.

If you use Music Match to burn to MP3 and the MP3splitter/joiner, when do you use WinAmp to transfer you said?

I can use bookmarks fine in the regular Media files, but that only works with the one chapter you in. So I thought it would be nice to have one book that autoresumes and then I could go listen to something else and just "resume" again.

When you drag and drop into "audible" do you make a playlist? Is it necessary? I am just use to loading mostly Overdrive DRM books into the player and didn't have to mess with playlists.

Have you figured out your SDHC card yet? Hopefully the good helpers will start visiting again......
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Gosh, I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Brain dead this week!!
Let me just put in order exactly how I do audio books, maybe that will be easier.
1. Set Pilot to File/Folder mode. Not auto sync.
2. Get audio book CD, (library is always a good place to start looking) burn in mp3 format to my computer using Music Match Jukebox. I don't even bother with ID3 tags, I just label each track 001, 002, 003, etc all the way through the book. I have had 181 tracks before for longer books. I always jot on a piece of paper what track number each CD ends at for joining later.
3. I open MP3 Splitter/Joiner and drag the tracks for each CD into the program. For example I drag tracks 001 - 017 in. When I merge them I name them CD 001. Then I would do tracks 018 - 035 and name them CD 002 etc.
4. I put these files in a folder on my computer named what ever the name of the book is. (eg. The Beach House)
5. I plug in the Pilot, and I drag and drop the folder (eg. The Beach House) into the Audibles folder on the Pilot.
6. I then open up Winamp. I drag the folder from the Pilot (eg. The Beach House) into the playlist window on the Winamp. I click on Save Playlist, and make sure I save the m3u file to the main part of the Pilot, not under the Audibles folder.
7. When I go to play the audio book on the Pilot, I always make sure I play it from the playlist choice, not from the library.

I know this is a convoluted way of doing this, but it was the only way I could get my audio books to play in the correct order on my Sansa M250, and I guess I kinda stuck with it. So far using this method both resume and bookmarks have worked perfectly, and the books have played in perfect order. (My son listens to a lot of books)

I think there is a way to make playlists on the fly with the Pilot, but I haven't figured that out yet! Something about if you drag the whole folder on you can choose 'play all' and the whole book will play. Not sure how that will work for resume though.

Newegg is great, never had a problem with them. I built my other son's computer with parts from there. Great prices. No, I don't work for them, just nice to find a decent place to shop!!

Hope this helps just a little bit. Sorry to be so long winded!! Let me know if this works for you.
S
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Hi,Thanks for the info. My guess is the reason you don't use Music Match for making a playlist is because it won't do it? I am not sure why you have to drag it into the Pilot and then drag back into WinAmp to make playlist, is it won't do it any other way? Now when you play the "playlist" is it in the "Media" file? I don't see how it will autoresume if not in Audible. I believe when I made the playlist it went into the "Media" and I played it that way and it would not do autoresume.

I can see why now Itunes didn't play in order after seeing how you number the book. It didn't do that.

Also I had a Sansa M250 and I returned it after 30 days because I could not get it to play a book in order! Then I tried a Creative Zen Plus and that froze ever day! So then I got the Pilot and that only froze once in 2 months. And the worse day on the Pilot was nothing as bad as the other 2 players were.

Thanks for the info. I did use the MP3tag tool to rename so it was in order and I did make a playlist that went in Media folder and I played it that way, but it did not do the autoresume. I may try the players you mentioned. I have basically tried every player there is now!

I just visited my 82 year old Dad and I get him audiobooks from the Library and he couldn't get the CD player to work that I bought him. Also I got him a cell phone a few years back and have had a hell of time training him on that one too. So that is great you can get your 80 year old Mom to learn the Pilot. I don't think my Dad could. But he has had no prior learning on any computers. Good luck.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
digitalq digitalq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
2. Get audio book CD, (library is always a good place to start looking) burn in mp3 format to my computer using Music Match Jukebox. I don't even bother with ID3 tags, I just label each track 001, 002, 003, etc all the way through the book. I have had 181 tracks before for longer books. I always jot on a piece of paper what track number each CD ends at for joining later.
3. I open MP3 Splitter/Joiner and drag the tracks for each CD into the program. For example I drag tracks 001 - 017 in. When I merge them I name them CD 001. Then I would do tracks 018 - 035 and name them CD 002 etc.
Save you some time, provided MMJB is able to rip a CD as one, if it's not, simply get one of the popular free rippers out there, virtually all of them have a "rip CD as one file" function. Audiograbber is easy, Exact Audio Copy is very full featured and there are others, no reason to use MMJB.

If you combine the books into one or two files and drop them in the Audible folder (NO subfolders) then it should remember your place in each of the files. This is truly the most convenient way to listen to audiobooks short of actual Audible books. (they add section/chapter navigation and cannot be accidentially "jumped" to the beginning of the file.)

The above assumes MTP (with Windows Media 10 or 11) or file/folder mode and the files have been dragged and dropped directly into the Audible folder on the player using Windows explorer (as in, starting from the My Computer window)

This is a case of the KISS principal applying. The simpler you make this and the less software you use, the better it works.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

I will have to check out some of the programs you recommended. Thanks! Honestly, I have just been using MMJB for so darn long I haven't even thought of going elsewhere. I am still on version 8, if you can believe it! I do like having each CD as it's own Track, just personal preference I guess. When I fall asleep at night with the book going, it makes it easier to find my place again.
S
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 03-24-2008, 12:06 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

I just checked out Audiograbber. What a great program! I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.
Thanks so much!
S
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
digitalq digitalq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I just checked out Audiograbber. What a great program! I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.
Thanks so much!
S
LOL! Glad you like.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
Save you some time, provided MMJB is able to rip a CD as one, if it's not, simply get one of the popular free rippers out there, virtually all of them have a "rip CD as one file" function. Audiograbber is easy, Exact Audio Copy is very full featured and there are others, no reason to use MMJB.
I downloaded Audiograbber and am looking at it and don't see "rip CD as one file" option. Can you cut and paste to show me or something? I am still trying to use "Audible" remember me? That is my problem, there are discs listed seperately and I need to put them together I also downloaded LAME MP3 and put in the folder as it said to do. This is all new to me remember..... Itunes and Windows Media player user only. Oh my... Old dogs are trying to learn new tricks, it just ain't that easy!
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 AM
digitalq digitalq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 146
Default

I've actually been using something else for quite some time now, but I took a look at Audiograbber and it seems you can double click on the last track to get the properties window, in the bottom left you will see the start and end times for the track. Change the start time to 00:00 and only rip the last track (uncheck all the tracks except the last one)

That may be a hack, if Silverraven has a better way I hope he will chime in!
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 03-26-2008, 02:44 AM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
I've actually been using something else for quite some time now, but I took a look at Audiograbber and it seems you can double click on the last track to get the properties window, in the bottom left you will see the start and end times for the track. Change the start time to 00:00 and only rip the last track (uncheck all the tracks except the last one)

That may be a hack, if Silverraven has a better way I hope he will chime in!
What have you been using? Media Jukebox? I have been working on that for hours now and all I can see there is to burn a CD and it will make 9 CDs even though I told it to burn 96kbps or 64kbps so it will be smaller. Can you tell me how to combine 9 CDs into one and put on my hard drive? I need some screen prints from the software to see how to this
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 AM
digitalq digitalq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo3 View Post
What have you been using? Media Jukebox? I have been working on that for hours now and all I can see there is to burn a CD and it will make 9 CDs even though I told it to burn 96kbps or 64kbps so it will be smaller. Can you tell me how to combine 9 CDs into one and put on my hard drive? I need some screen prints from the software to see how to this
I'm sorry, I don't even understand what you are trying to do. The programs we have been discussing are ripping programs, and we have been discussing using them to rip audio CD files and make MP3 files. You cannot tell a program to "burn" 96kbps or any other bps. bps or bits per second is a setting for an encoder like lame and creates files that are larger and higher quality or smaller and lower quality on the computer.

To answer your first and last questions, I have been using a shareware program called dbPoweramp for all my format conversion and CD ripping needs. The current version, 12, does not have a rip all tracks as one function, but v13 should.
I try to only recommend free software in forums, since if it is not properly researched, or there is a misunderstanding, I can only be blamed for wasting someone's time and not money! In that spirit and to answer your last question, I did a little research and came up with BonkEnc. Free and simple, has Lame built in and a menu item to encode to a single file (you will find this in the Encode menu under Encoder options and you will not need a screen shot. Now you will have 9 files for the 9 CDs that you rip, so get MakeItOne Album Maker and combine your 9 files into one (or maybe two if that's a little unwieldy)

Get BoinkEnc here:
http://www.bonkenc.org/index.php
MakeItOne is here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mp3albummaker.html
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Smile Thanks Digitalq Audible works now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
I'm sorry, I don't even understand what you are trying to do. The programs we have been discussing are ripping programs, and we have been discussing using them to rip audio CD files and make MP3 files. You cannot tell a program to "burn" 96kbps or any other bps. bps or bits per second is a setting for an encoder like lame and creates files that are larger and higher quality or smaller and lower quality on the computer.

To answer your first and last questions, I have been using a shareware program called dbPoweramp for all my format conversion and CD ripping needs. The current version, 12, does not have a rip all tracks as one function, but v13 should.
I try to only recommend free software in forums, since if it is not properly researched, or there is a misunderstanding, I can only be blamed for wasting someone's time and not money! In that spirit and to answer your last question, I did a little research and came up with BonkEnc. Free and simple, has Lame built in and a menu item to encode to a single file (you will find this in the Encode menu under Encoder options and you will not need a screen shot. Now you will have 9 files for the 9 CDs that you rip, so get MakeItOne Album Maker and combine your 9 files into one (or maybe two if that's a little unwieldy)

Get BoinkEnc here:
http://www.bonkenc.org/index.php
MakeItOne is here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mp3albummaker.html

I used Makeitone for my 9 discs and it makes it all one, no subfolders at all. I normally wouldn't like that for trying to find my place manually in audiobooks (when I fall asleep), but apparently this is the only way it will work in "Audible". It works great for autoresume and going to another file, just like it is suppose to. Thanks for your help

I hope Silverraven fixed the card problem. What are the restrictions of loading the card (no DRM, or Audible files?). Some day I am going to buy one.

Thanks again. Great forum.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 04-06-2008, 12:23 PM
silverraven silverraven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo3 View Post
I hope Silverraven fixed the card problem. What are the restrictions of loading the card (no DRM, or Audible files?). Some day I am going to buy one.
Actually, the card works great. I was 'doing it wrong'! What I was trying to do was insert the card directly into my computer, drag the books (mp3 format, no DRM, no Audible) onto the chip, then make a playlist using Winamp. When I would insert it into the Pilot, it wouldn't recognize the playlists. But, if I have the chip in the Pilot when making the playlists (m3u) everything works fine. If I want to load up the chip and mail it to her Mom just has to choose the book she wants to listen to under Album instead of under Playlist.
S
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.