android
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Default is the Sansa View good for Audiobooks?

I am planning on buying a Sansa View soon, mainly for listening to audiobooks. I have some questions from reading a bunch of threads here. Excuse me if I make any grammar mistakes or otherwise, my native language is Swedish.

Fast Forwarding
Is it really that bad? The point of buying a View for me is listening to audiobooks (usually with every track being 40min+)
Does FF:ing 30 minutes take more or less than 40 seconds?
According to http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=25754
Fast Forwarding 30 minutes takes 15 minutes, I assume this is hyperbole.
I can split the tracks up, but I would like to do a minimal amount of fiddling/scripting.

Powered on charging
Does the computer have to be powered on for charging? Does it matter if its a linux machine?

Photo zooming
In the photo-viewing menu, when viewing a large image is zooming available? (this is not so important, but kinda useful)

If you know of a better mp3-player for audiobooks, please let me know

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM

I don't know about the View, but I heard it doesn't have bookmarks. I just bought a Creative Zen primarily for listening to audio books and it works beautifully! I used to have an ebay-special mp3 player that was horrible for audio books. It had no bookmarks, so I could not listen to music and then pick up my book where I left off. It would FFwd in only one speed so it would take you ages to FFwd through your files to find your place.

The Zen on the other hand... It has 10 bookmarks so I can mark my place and come back to it anytime. I used to have to listen to books ripped from CDs with the track for each CD combined into one file because of the crappy FFwding. Now I can combine the whole book into a single file and use bookmarks. The Zen also has progressively faster FFWding, meaning the longer you hold the button, the faster it steps, so I can zing to a place on a huge file in seconds.

Also, since it has 10 bookmarks, I can listen to multiple books. My wife and I listen to one together on our commute, and I listen to another by myself.

I couldn't be happier with it for audio books! I is supposed to be fully "audible" compatible, but I doubt I will ever use that functionality.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 AM

That was actually one of the players I was comparing the View to! Thank you for your input, VERY appreciated.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Useless for audio books

The View is completely useless for listening to Mp3 audiobooks. No bookmarking feature and a dog-slow fast forward.

If you know about this .ai format people keep talking about, it might be OK, but I don't know anthing about it.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv View Post
The View is completely useless for listening to Mp3 audiobooks. No bookmarking feature and a dog-slow fast forward.

If you know about this .ai format people keep talking about, it might be OK, but I don't know anthing about it.
Yes it is when whole chapters are one mp3, but not so bad when it is segmented into 3-4 minute mp3s...

Not sure, but is there a way to lock the FF like on the e2xx?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 AM

I use the View (and the Express too) to listen to audiobooks.
If these are in Audible format, no problems at all, since bookmarks are supported in this format.

If your audiobooks are mp3s, then bookmarking is not supported.
But I read you use linux: therefore it's no big deal, since you can split your mp3 files in smaller chunks just by using a simple script. Install mp3splt and use the script I created and that you can find here. You can choose the length of the chunks, and the script will automatically split files at the nearest silence point. For me it works great (I split my audiobooks in 8 minutes chunks, and if I have to FF it does not take long)

Of course the computer has to be powered on for charging, but you can also buy a cheap usb wall charger to solve this problem.

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View

Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 AM

I was thinking of the Creative Zen as it seems good for audiobooks but there are way too many reviews of the white screen of death and no support from creative.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM

The Fuze is probably the best for audiobooks. Probably even better than the Zen, since it doesn't have a 10 bookmark limit, or a white screen of death problem. It is limited to one bookmark per file at a time, but no limit on the total number of bookmarks as far as I know.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolist View Post
The Fuze is probably the best for audiobooks. Probably even better than the Zen, since it doesn't have a 10 bookmark limit, or a white screen of death problem. It is limited to one bookmark per file at a time, but no limit on the total number of bookmarks as far as I know.
Does it support bookmarking of MP3 or WMA files?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3Man View Post
Does it support bookmarking of MP3 or WMA files?
It is excellant, my wife has one I only wish my Sansa View was as good

The Sansa View is about the worst Audio Player I have ever encounted

I am back using my Ipod 4G while I am waiting for help from the poor support that Sansa offers on the View Model

Arny

Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Audiobook bookmarking are only available with Audible.com .aa files, not with mp3's.
A free program to splitting large mp3's come from:
http://www.nch.com.au/splitter/index.html
Took me a while to get it to work as it was only splitting the files into 1 kb segments.
Turns out that you have to download a file called "mp3el" to get the file length you wanted.
You can find it here:
http://www.nch.com.au/components/
Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM

The other thing you can do with audiobooks that aren't in .aa format (but are in .wma or .mp3) is make sure that their genre is set to "Podcast". There's an auto-bookmarking type feature that remembers your place in a podcast so you can switch and listen to music for awhile (or something else) and come back to the same spot later without having to fast-forward.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanella View Post
The other thing you can do with audiobooks that aren't in .aa format (but are in .wma or .mp3) is make sure that their genre is set to "Podcast". There's an auto-bookmarking type feature that remembers your place in a podcast so you can switch and listen to music for awhile (or something else) and come back to the same spot later without having to fast-forward.
Neat tip friend, works great with my Walkman 639.
Cheers.