android
Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1. Yes, but you need to have at least the 1.20.02 or newer firmware installed.

2. No, the Zen does not have a video output that can be used to connect to a TV.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am delighted to hear that I can back up digital photos from the SD card onto the internal memory of the Zen 16Gb. That makes the SD card slot really useful when on vacation. Thanks again

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. My wifes actually uses hers for this all the time with her camera.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Bobby, can you explain to me how to copy pics from the SD card to the internal memory? I've tried to do this, but have had no success. I would love to be able to transfer pics next month when I am on vacation, should I run out of space on my SD card. Thanks.

I love to give homemade gifts...which one of the children would you like?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi Michelle. You can do this from within the Memory Card section and by selecting Import All.

To view transferred photos (.jpg), select Photos --> Imported Files --> [memory card name] --> [folder name].

To open or view other transferred files, use your computer:

Connect your player to your computer and click your player's icon in My Computer. Click Storage Media --> Imported Files --> [memory card name] --> [folder name]

I'll add this to the FAQ soon.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check this out for some info: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27711

Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Playing music from the flash drive

I have what is probably a very simple question, but I am technology challenged and have only had my Creative Zen for a couple of days. I bought a 2 gig Zen as my music collection is not that large, and I thought I could put a 4 gig flash drive in it and be set. My question is, if I put a flash drive in the device, will it play the music just like the music on the internal drive? I understand how to get the music onto the removable drive, using the Zen software, but I cannot find the answer to my question. I hope that the only use for the flash drive is not for photos.

I am also wondering if I can play music on the flash drive on the car stereo via an aux. in cable?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I am beginning to think I should have bought a bigger internal drive.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any media files on the SD card will not show or integrate with the files of the internal library/storage. However, you still can access and play them by going to the Removable Disk option on the menu and not the Music section.

Quote:
I am also wondering if I can play music on the flash drive on the car stereo via an aux. in cable?

If you connect the Zen to a stereo using the Aux. connection and the headphone jack, you can hear anything played on the Zen regardless if it is from its internal memory or the SD card. You may want to check out this thread for more info.

Quote:
I am beginning to think I should have bought a bigger internal drive.

Ahhhh, the ever so popular realization that comes shortly after getting a Zen.

If you get a chance, you may want to look over the Zen FAQ. Enjoy the Zen and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the answer, and it's nice to know that I am not the only one with a sudden "too small of a drive" realization. Maybe size does matter.

Your answer brings up another question, that again I am sure is known by everyone but me on this forum. If I move several MP3 files to the flash drive, will I need to put some type of media player on it in order to play them without having to open each one up every time one file is played?

I found this on the FAQ page, but cannot find if my JVC car receiver supports UMS.

However, the Zen does support being a UMS device when enabled as a Removable Disk from the Memory Card menu for the SD card. Enabling this will allow the Zen to be connected to the UMS supported USB ports on car stereos and play songs stored on the SD card. (Big thanks to Kevo777 on this!)

If I do need a media player on the drive, does anyone know of one I can download? And, do most car receivers support UMS?

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Edit: Thread now merged with main SD thread.

Quote:
If I move several MP3 files to the flash drive, will I need to put some type of media player on it in order to play them without having to open each one up every time one file is played?
Play them on what? If you are talking about a USB flash drive and playing them on a USB port on a car stereo, then no. Most car stereos that have USB ports are compatable with UMS devices.

Quote:
If I do need a media player on the drive, does anyone know of one I can download? And, do most car receivers support UMS?
If you want to use your Zen, put the audio files on the SD card, set the Zen into Removable Disk mode, plug the Zen into the USB port of the car stereo using the USB cable, switch over to that input on the stereo, and it should begin playing the audio files on the SD card in the Zen. Remember, it won't play from the Zen's internal library.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem kam582. Good luck and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-06-2008, 01:26 AM

so many issue about SD card integration but one of the user sates this:

The memory from the SD slot does become integrated into the rest of the files, as long as you upload the files on to the ZEN while the SD card is in, and not directly to the SD card itself.

Is it true? if thats the case, i will not use card readers to transfer files to zen? can i access card through zen when transfering files?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 AM

No, that's rubbish.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The memory from the SD slot does become integrated into the rest of the files, as long as you upload the files on to the ZEN while the SD card is in, and not directly to the SD card itself.
That doesn't make sense. If you upload files to the Zen, then the files would be within the internal library on the Zen and not the SD Card. Plus, there is no way to access the SD card on the Zen while it is connected unless you put the Zen into Removable Disk mode (to where it basically becomes a card reader), but doing this would be uploading the files directly to the card itself. Obviously, who ever posted that has no idea as to how the Zen works or utilizes an SD card.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Have there been any changes to the process of importing from the SD card since the writing of the FAQs?

Specifically, is the only option to "Import All"?

So if I wanted to import just one video (of many) on the card to the internal memory, is that still not possible?

(Still trying to decide between the zen and the sansa fuze.)

Thanks ...

Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No changes. The latest firmware is still the same as when I wrote the Zen FAQ. Import All is your only option.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 AM

I know the SD card issue has been discussed to death in this and other forums, but the more I learn about it, the more narrow Creative's vision becomes.

From the X-Fi description:
"More content, endless enjoyment
Transfer your files easily from your SD/SDHC card to enjoy more videos, music and photos in your player!"

Is the SD card slot simply to be used as an alternative to syncing --- plug the card into your computer, transfer files, plug the card into the Zen / X-Fi, import the files?

I was at least hoping that I could keep a bank of 5 or 6 movies on the card, import one to the internal memory, watch it (and be able to use the features available, such as pausing and being able to come back later and pick up where I left off), and then delete it from the internal memory and replace it with another, and so on ... but I guess not ....

Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah that would be nice; importing only selected files instead of all of them.

I would actually enjoy the added features like the resume playback, bookmarking, zooming, etc. on the SD card more so than music integration..... but this is coming from someone who has enough storage for all of his music collection on the internal memory. I'm sure it would be different if I had a smaller capacity Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 AM

Hello!
I have a question about one problem with SD card and my ZEN.
Well I used a 2GB card with no problems for about a month, I always used the function in ZEN "Memory Card > Removable Disk" to add files, did the "eject" before unpluging it from the computer, BUT few times I forgot, and now when I want to open my card by clicking "Browse" it says: "Error were detected. Media might not be safely removed during copy. Proceed? YES; NO."
When I click yes, the card does work, but that table just bugs me a lot. How can I fix this? Do I have to format my card? Is there any risk of few MBs being lost?