android
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Nope. 32gig will work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Theoretically, what ever current size of SDHC card (4GB+) is available (currently 32GB). Well the Zen supports SDHC so no matter what the theoretical storage limit of a high capacity SD card is, it should support some. Newer devices, like the Zen, seem to have better support for newer SD/SDHC cards then older non-SDHC previously released versions. Newly released cards and SDHC support is the key here, I believe.

http://www.sdcard.org/home

Last edited by BobbyRS; 09-08-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM

yeah, 32gb. the 1 or 2gb you heard was probably the micro-sd non SDHC.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Speaking of a 32GB SD(HC) card:
$399 http://www.memorysuppliers.com/sa32u...hannelid=FROOG

Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Speaking of a 32GB SD(HC) card:
$399 http://www.memorysuppliers.com/sa32u...hannelid=FROOG
Wait for the price to drop. This is as much as the Zen itself!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was just posting it to shows its availability.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM

Fortunately, I have an internal card reader, so I just pop my SD card into there and do what I need to do that way. When I try to access the card while it's in the Zen from my PC by doing this...

If you want to use the Zen as a SD/SDHC card reader, what you need to do is to navigate to 'Memory Card' on the player and select 'Removable Disk'. Once you do that, plug the Zen to your PC using the USB cable and you can copy what you want to and from the SD/SDHC card.

...my player reboots.

I love to give homemade gifts...which one of the children would you like?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Exclamation Zen & SD cards big problems!

Hi guys. I bought a Zen 8gb 3 months ago to replace my old Zen Nano.

I'm really happy of my choice and I've never had problems with it since now.

Considered that buying a Zen 8gb with a SD card 8gb I saved > 50 than buying the 16gb zen i decided to do so.

This tuesday I bought a PEAK SDHC 8gb class 6 card. I put it in the zen, went to the "removeable disc" section, connected the USB cable to the pc, copied some videos, and it was working. I spent the rest of the evening converting files and copying them to the SD card.

After some time, while I was doing other things, I noticed that explorer and the copy of the files where stuck. I killed explorer, removed the USB cable but the ZEN was still saying "Do not disconnect". So I removed the SD card and the Zen's screen went black. I resetted it, inserted the card back and connected it to the PC, discovering that my SD card was downgraded from 8gb of space to 3.75gb and it had become unformattable.

After a lot of googling i found the problem. The MBR of the SD was corrupted. So I downloaded a nice program called testdisk and tried to fix it. Infact it said that the geometry of the disc (cylinders heads sectors) was something like 468C 256H 63S (468*256*63*512 = 3.75gb circa).

So I tried to set the geometry as it should have been (1024 cylinders instead of 468), to get back the lost 4.25gb. No way. Anytime I set it, then removed the card and put it back in it was as before.

The next day I went to the shop and they replaced it.

The new one lasted 2 days. Yesterday evening I was still copying videos in it and I got stuck for no reason. Disconnected, resetted the Zen, etc. When I put the card back in it was veeeery slooow but the Zen was still able to read it (after saying "The disc is corrupted, maybe after an unsafe removal" ) .

I connected the USB and launched a scandisk on the SD card. It was almost complete but then said "Unable to complete the task" and I got an i/o error.

Disconnected etc. The card is now unreadable. From windows explorer it says "Insert disc into drive please". From testdisk I can read the MBR and it gives me 8GB correctly, but no partitions, and if I try to modify anything it gives me writing errors.

Help needed.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 AM

can you give us more information?
win xp or vista?
which sp?
which firmware on the zen?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Simply put, it looks as though you are just trying to use an SD card that isn’t going to work in the Zen. It happens. That card is not officially supported by Creative to work in the Zen. I know that doesn't explain why it was working and then stopped. Just don't expect support from them on it for now.

Here is the (small) list of supported SD cards from Creative that will work in the Zen:
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/?nav=sdcard

You may also want to read this thread that lists some confirmed workable SD cards for the Zen that people have tested and used:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20855

Now obviously that card has problems when using in the Zen, so I would avoid doing so in the future. I would focus on getting your card back to operating status so you can continue to use elsewhere or replace for a different one that will work in the Zen. It appears as though (and it looks like you may have confirmed) that the MBR (Master Boot Record) may be corrupt. You cannot re-create the MBR by formatting the card. The card will have to be re-partitioned in order to create a new MBR. Then the card can be formatted for use. However, if the MBR is not corrupt, you can try formatting the SD card with this utility using the "Format Size Adjustment":
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html
Manual here:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/ftp/manual2007e.pdf

Oh, if the SDFormatter program doesn't work out. Try using the HP Drive Boot Utility to wipe out and re-create the partition and format:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23839&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM

I went threw this with an older Sansa player & Kingston MicroSD card I had.

Stick with what the manufacturer says will work with their player....the 5-10$ you might save will be made up in frustration later.....

Any chance you can return the SD card, or use it for something else?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Videos in SD card not working?

Player gives me "There are no playable files" warning?

How can I get this to work. I reformatted the card (fat32) when I selected removable disk in the player dumped the files and safely removed but the files aren't showing up, its a small 256mb SD card btw.

The files work when I dump them directly to the player, was hoping to try the sd slot before I bought some expensive card.

Any ideas?

Also is there anything within the Zen Explorer that also to dump files to the SD card?

Last edited by sykox; 03-25-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Edit

Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Is that card listed on Creatives site as being compatible?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Well it's a PNY sd card it's not listed but it worked when i took it out of my digital camera, and browsed the pictures on the zen so it did work. I might have reformated wrong but I doubt it.

I really don't think just cause it's not listed means it won't work. It has to be that the way it's transferring between the pc and the zen, the files are on the MC but don't show up on the zen.

Ok I dumped a photo and video file on the MC and only the photo shows up, the video is .divx which works when i dump it directly to the player.

Ok i got it working the files don't show up on the MC as .divx but they do on the players internal memory I renamed the format to .avi and now the zen list it, that's werid cause if the .divx format works on the player the directly why would it not show up on the MC?

Last edited by sykox; 03-26-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: edit

Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 AM

Not sure.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykox View Post
Player gives me "There are no playable files" warning?

How can I get this to work. I reformatted the card (fat32) when I selected removable disk in the player dumped the files and safely removed but the files aren't showing up, its a small 256mb SD card btw.

The files work when I dump them directly to the player, was hoping to try the sd slot before I bought some expensive card.

Any ideas?

Also is there anything within the Zen Explorer that also to dump files to the SD card?
The card may simply not work fully with the Zen. Download this utility to format the SD card properly and give it another shot.

SDFormatter:
http://panasonic.jp/support/audio/sd...p/sdfv2002.exe
Manual:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...anual2007e.pdf

If it doesn't work then, I would say it looks like a no-go for use with the Zen. Most combatiblity problems with SD cards will be from older cards like this one.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Yep, Zen no likey old cards.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 PM

The card works perfectly as I stated before. It was the video format (wrapper) that was the problem, the .divx extension i'm guessing doesn't work from sd cards so i changed it to .avi and it works great.

When I dump the files directly to the players internal memory as a .divx it works aswell, the problem was that the .divx was not showing up on the memory card until I changed it to .avi.

All works perfectly.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately, I think you can include this issue in with the wonderful lack of SD file "integration/support" the Zen suffers from.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Not happy with SD card integration

Well, I just got a couple 8GB SD cards for my players, and it seems that music on the card has to be accessed via "memory card" main menu, then have to click threw the artist\song to get somewhere. As soon as you want to pick a different song, the music stops until the next song is selected.

So if you want to listen to a song, and browse for something else on the player, you really can't at the same time.

Any idea if there are plans to integrate the SD card better, or is this likely all it will be?

The 16GB iTouch after the expected 100$ price drop is looking better and better to me in the near future.....