android
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM

i think that is a minor price to pay for getting 8 gigs more memory for 35 dollars.

i paid 80 for my 2 GB zen (amazon has the 4 for 90 but i didnt see that untill after i bought my 2) and because of the SD slot i have unlimited potential for storing movies and tv shows and leave the 2 GB on the zen for music and audiobooks.

i am sure you would be very happy with the touch.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can look at the Cowon D2 if you want SD card integration, with Creative expecting losses, selling off property, leaving their customers out to dry with some of their products, I wouldn't keep the Zen expecting it to be updated if I were you.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM

Cards were 27.99$ and shipping was pretty much nill, as I also ordered a couple 500GB USB drives, and a Altec Lancing speaker set for my wife's laptop. Great price for 8GB.

I just like going threw albums via Album Art, playing 1 song, and being about to browse threw and look at other stuff on the player at the same time. This works fine for internal memory, but I have to change menu's to get to the SD card music.....and then it's like any cheap no-name player at that point.....

Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They have no intention of sd card integration in the near OR distant future. As HHS stated you can go with the D2 and solve that prob and get a few more features as well. And yeah, the Zen's future is looking kinda bleak right now. As for the Touch, its a good device. Check 1 out and if it sounds good to you and the feature set works - grab it when the price drops (and if you have an idea of a time frame please let me know as I'm gonna' go get me a 32gigger myself/CardsFan seems to have inadvertently talked me into it). And by the way, the new Sony lineup also has EXCELLENT sound quality as well as HHS's fav - the Zune 80!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
They have no intention of sd card integration in the near OR distant future. As HHS stated you can go with the D2 and solve that prob and get a few more features as well. And yeah, the Zen's future is looking kinda bleak right now. As for the Touch, its a good device. Check 1 out and if it sounds good to you and the feature set works - grab it when the price drops (and if you have an idea of a time frame please let me know as I'm gonna' go get me a 32gigger myself/CardsFan seems to have inadvertently talked me into it). And by the way, the new Sony lineup also has EXCELLENT sound quality as well as HHS's fav - the Zune 80!!!

I am seeing multiple articles like this:

http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-iphone-p...GB-32GB-453677
http://www.slashgear.com/ipod-touch-...op-2710933.php

That lead me to believe that the price might drop in the next month or so. After watching the demo videos of it, and the fact I use iTunes for ripping CD's and sorting my music, I think it is my next player.

It helps that I get a Apple store discount threw my work (10% or so) so if it drops to 299$, I get it for 281$ shipped.....maybe tax on top of that I have not gone threw the cart system completely yet.

8GB is not quite enough, but 16GB I can do with quite nicely. Who knows, maybe I will scrape up an extra hundred to go from 16 to 32GB......

Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm putting all my less listened to music, plus videos on the SD card. I actually like it that way, that it isn't integrated. Too much to go thru on the main artist menu (I have 30+ gb of music) on a 32 gb Zen. Having the SD card not integrated makes it easier to manage.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel II View Post
I'm putting all my less listened to music, plus videos on the SD card. I actually like it that way, that it isn't integrated. Too much to go thru on the main artist menu (I have 30+ gb of music) on a 32 gb Zen. Having the SD card not integrated makes it easier to manage.
I do the same thing. I have all my music and a couple of smaller videos on the Zen. My audiobooks are on a 2Gb SD and the rest of my videos/movies are on a 4Gb SD. Trust me, videos come in handy when you're sitting in traffic for 5-1/2 hours on Easter Sunday. Well worth it even if the screen is a little small. Kept my daughter quiet all day.

I love to give homemade gifts...which one of the children would you like?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM

I don't see the problem- if you're browsing the SD card, aren't you on your way to new music anyhow? If you're about to change tunes in a few seconds, does it really matter if you can't listen while browsing your way to the new music?

Or did I just not understand?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The sd card really doesn't matter to me anyway as I have 32gb to play with. I only use the sd card for vids myself. As for the lower capacity players it IS a problem because some may have needed that extra capacity to get a decent size music library going. Remember; its stated on the Creative site that you can use the card to increase the capacity of your player - they LEAD you to believe that it will be a part of your main filing system - not a separately browsed drive. That is not what 99% of buyers expected. It not being a problem for me or anyone else doesn't change the fact that they are using deceptive advertising practices to sell a product that has been a letdown for most customers - new AND old alike. I like my ZEN better than I did the Cowon D2 I had - is it better? Who knows - its just better for me. Does that mean I'll try to talk you out of buying it? Of COURSE NOT! But if you want the truth I'll tell you as best as I can. Does the sd card integration matter - yes it does because it was supposed to be a MAIN FEATURE of the player. Its just that its not the way its supposed to be-PERIOD!!! The ZEN could be the best player on the market and Creative is just killing it for all - their latest screwup proves it.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
The sd card really doesn't matter to me anyway as I have 32gb to play with. I only use the sd card for vids myself. As for the lower capacity players it IS a problem because some may have needed that extra capacity to get a decent size music library going. Remember; its stated on the Creative site that you can use the card to increase the capacity of your player - they LEAD you to believe that it will be a part of your main filing system - not a separately browsed drive. That is not what 99% of buyers expected. It not being a problem for me or anyone else doesn't change the fact that they are using deceptive advertising practices to sell a product that has been a letdown for most customers - new AND old alike. I like my ZEN better than I did the Cowon D2 I had - is it better? Who knows - its just better for me. Does that mean I'll try to talk you out of buying it? Of COURSE NOT! But if you want the truth I'll tell you as best as I can. Does the sd card integration matter - yes it does because it was supposed to be a MAIN FEATURE of the player. Its just that its not the way its supposed to be-PERIOD!!! The ZEN could be the best player on the market and Creative is just killing it for all - their latest screwup proves it.
Well put. I guess the difference to me was that I knew it wasn't integrated. But you a right, Creative does not advertise it that way.

I think a lot of poeple might buy a smaller capacity player in hopes of making up for it later with expansion, so they have a right to be disappointed.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel II View Post
Well put. I guess the difference to me was that I knew it wasn't integrated. But you a right, Creative does not advertise it that way.

I think a lot of poeple might buy a smaller capacity player in hopes of making up for it later with expansion, so they have a right to be disappointed.
This is why I got the Zen, as it had standard SD card integration, not a MicroSD card. I'm gonna sit for a couple months and see if the Touch drops 100$ like the rumors state it will......

I'm sure I could buy one tomorrow (Tue), and then the price would drop Wed for everyone else

Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

At the rate its going I might go the Touch route myself and forget all things Creative. They make great products and then somehow, something always goes wrong. I would never have gotten the 5.5 gen ipod video if my Creative Zen Sleek Photo hadn't died on me in the first few days I'd gotten it. J&R Music World (a phone service rep) had told me to get a different product as Creative's players kept coming back FREQUENTLY as DOA!!! I happen to think my ZEN is great - I even moved away from the sony S618 I have as I'm enjoying the sq very much (hoping the problems their having don't keep them from an update that cleans up the bass-boost/I REALLY NEED THAT FEATURE!!!). All told, if these things w/Creative go south I won't even be able to get back what it cost me to buy this off ebay!!! And, yeah - it would be GREAT if the sd card were even considered at this point. Ipod Touch??? Maybe! It's a great product anyway,.... if the SQ appeals to you then by all means GO FOR IT!!! remember - its not what anyone else thinks that matters - you make the FINAL call! As it SHOULD be.

PS: WAIT FOR THE PRICE DROP!!! Why get a 16gb when you can get a 32???

Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 AM

Default Transcend 8 GB card - anyone have success?

I just got my transcend 8 gb card from amazon and the zen doesn't seem to want to recognize it. When I insert it and plug in the player, the card shows up in explorer, but when i double click on it I get a message that reads "please insert disc into drive." Since the disc essentially IS the drive- that's fairly impossible. I have an SD card reader and I couldn't read the card via that method either, but I'm not sure if that's because the reader can't handle SDHC cards. Or does that not matter? Because if not- then maybe I just got a bad card or something. Help?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 AM

Well crap, I think I just answered my own question. I put another card in, a 1 gig standard SD card and the Zen could read that just fine. Hooked the Zen up to the computer, loaded some files, disconnected- and they played just fine. So I guess it IS the Transcend 8 gig card. The creative site says that card works with the Zen, so maybe I just got a bad one, who knows. Anyone out there use this card? Have any luck with it?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
Well crap, I think I just answered my own question. I put another card in, a 1 gig standard SD card and the Zen could read that just fine. Hooked the Zen up to the computer, loaded some files, disconnected- and they played just fine. So I guess it IS the Transcend 8 gig card. The creative site says that card works with the Zen, so maybe I just got a bad one, who knows. Anyone out there use this card? Have any luck with it?
Which 8GB Transcend do you have? I have the Transcend 8GB Class 2 SDHC card and it works just fine. Is it a brand new card? You can try Number 3 under the SD card section in the Zen FAQ to see if you can get it working....

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM

The Transcend card I have is the same one that's listed as ok on the Creative site, same serial number and all that. I'd really love to try that formatting program, but unfortunately I can't even get my computer to recognize the card in order to run the software on it. I'm just trying it with my card reader, not in the Zen. Something tells me that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to format the card when it's in the Zen, given how sensitive the Zen is to just about everything, etc. Can anyone tell me if you need a special card reader for SDHC cards? The reader I'm using is a cheap little thing that came free with something a few months ago. It works fine with standards SD cards but maybe SDHC cards require a special reader. Anyone know anything about this sort of thing? As always, any light anyone can shine on this would be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The Transcend card I have is the same one that's listed as ok on the Creative site, same serial number and all that. I'd really love to try that formatting program, but unfortunately I can't even get my computer to recognize the card in order to run the software on it. I'm just trying it with my card reader, not in the Zen. Something tells me that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to format the card when it's in the Zen, given how sensitive the Zen is to just about everything, etc. Can anyone tell me if you need a special card reader for SDHC cards? The reader I'm using is a cheap little thing that came free with something a few months ago. It works fine with standards SD cards but maybe SDHC cards require a special reader. Anyone know anything about this sort of thing? As always, any light anyone can shine on this would be greatly appreciated...
Yes, you need an SDHC compatable card reader. If you have verified that your card reader supports SDHC and you have other cards working (including other SDHC cards), then I would say you card is defective. It wouldn't hurt trying in in anohter card reader though to make sure. If you can't verify it then maybe you card is good and you just need a SDHC reader.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM

I'd say it's highly unlikely that my card reader can handle SDHC, so this could be the problem. The card reader is a cheap little item that as I say, came free with something I bought a while back. The chances that it can handle SDHC are slim, I think. So basically I have two choices now- get a new card reader and try to format the card, or get a new card altogether. Final question: anyone out there use this card without formatting? Because if people are using this card right out of the package without needing to format, then that greatly increases the chance that I just have a defective card. But either way, thanks very much for the info thus far, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'd say it's highly unlikely that my card reader can handle SDHC, so this could be the problem. The card reader is a cheap little item that as I say, came free with something I bought a while back. The chances that it can handle SDHC are slim, I think. So basically I have two choices now- get a new card reader and try to format the card, or get a new card altogether. Final question: anyone out there use this card without formatting? Because if people are using this card right out of the package without needing to format, then that greatly increases the chance that I just have a defective card. But either way, thanks very much for the info thus far, I really appreciate it.
No problem.

It should come formatted right out of the package. You should not have to format it first before use.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM

So the fact that i DO have to format it- that's probably a bad sign.

Right?