android
Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No, most likely the card works. You just need a SDHC compatible reader. Get an SDHC reader and then try the card. If it doesn't work after that, then yes I would attempt to reformat the card using the SDFormatter program. If it still causes you problem beyond that, I would look into getting it replaced.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
No, most likely the card works. You just need a SDHC compatible reader. Get an SDHC reader and then try the card. If it doesn't work after that, then yes I would attempt to reformat the card using the SDFormatter program. If it still causes you problem beyond that, I would look into getting it replaced.
Why wouldn't using the zen sd slot work as your reader?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was mainly referring to him using his other SD card reader, but yes you are right. It should work in the Zen. However, I don't know how much faith I would put in it for formatting cards. It may work, it may not.... To be safe, I would have to recommend using an actual SDHC card reader for formatting. In this case, the card is listed on Creative's site as compatible, you have tried it in the Zen and it is not working. You can continue to troubleshoot it at the attempt to correct the problem by using an additional SDHC compatible card reader and formatting with the SDFormatter program or you can simply just return/replace the card and see if that will take care of it. Which ever you feel would be easier/quicker. At this point, the problem seems to be leaning towards a defective card since it should at least work in the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM

It's confusing, no question. Clearly the card doesn't work in the reader I have, because that reader can't read SDHC cards. But I'm wondering if the card WOULD work in the Zen if I formatted it. It concerns me that I should have to format the card, but if that would solve the problem, I suppose I could live with it. However I wouldn't attempt to format the card while inside the Zen, if only because I've read so much about how the Zen goes haywire if you try to make it do anything it's not normally made to handle, etc. I guess what I'll do is buy a new card reader and attempt to format the card. If that works then great and not, I guess I'll just have to return the card and try again. Does anyone out there use the Transcend card? Formatting or not- anyone out there actually had success with it? If the cards in general just don't work too well then maybe I'll just order something else if the formatting fails. The Transcend card was very cheap but now I'm starting to wonder if maybe you just get what you pay for. I actually do have a brand new Sandisc 4 gig card, which I ordered before I got tipped off about the Transcend and was planning to return, but who knows- maybe I should just keep that one. I'm trying to figure out if I could live with 4 gigs, or would I always be wishing I had that extra 4 that I'd be giving up. Decisions, decisions...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
It concerns me that I should have to format the card, but if that would solve the problem, I suppose I could live with it.

You shouldn't have to. New cards are already formatted for use, but that doesn't mean you can't ruin the file system on the card to the point it needs reformatted. I have had cards that have latest years without the need of reformatting. Others, I have had to reformat because the file system became corrupt simply just by using a bad card/wrong reader or even just inserting it into a card reader while hot.

Quote:
However I wouldn't attempt to format the card while inside the Zen, if only because I've read so much about how the Zen goes haywire if you try to make it do anything it's not normally made to handle, etc.

I just successfully reformatted two different cards in my Zen as a Removable Disk using the SDFormatter program. So, if you want to try, I'd say have at it....

Quote:
Does anyone out there use the Transcend card? Formatting or not- anyone out there actually had success with it? If the cards in general just don't work too well then maybe I'll just order something else if the formatting fails. The Transcend card was very cheap but now I'm starting to wonder if maybe you just get what you pay for.

In my experience, Transcend cards have been outstanding. I prefer them over many. I have 4 right now and they all work great.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Amazon's now shipping me a replacement card. They gave me one day shipping (very kind of them) on the replacement so it'll be here tomorrow. In the meantime though I may buy a card reader anyhow and try to format the current card. I'm really curious to see if it'll work after formatting and my feeling is if the card IS broken- formatting can't possibly break it any further. I hope.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
I'm really curious to see if it'll work after formatting and my feeling is if the card IS broken- formatting can't possibly break it any further. I hope.
I think a replacement would be best too. If the card is bad, it most likely won't take a reformat anyway.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Actually I just stumbled across this thread:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ight=transcend

So maybe I moved too quickly when requesting that replacement, because it sounds like formatting will fix the problem. All the same, just to be on the safe side- I think I'll keep the replacement and send back the original...

Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Which is why I suggested it.... However, you still should not have to reformat a card if it is brand new. They are suposed to be formatted correctly from the manufacture. A proper reformat was brought up most likely due to the person mentioning that they tried reformatting multiple times already (most likely with the Windows Format program = no, no). He never mentioned if his card was new or not. Maybe he tried reformatting with the Windows Format program before ever trying it in the Zen or bought used from someone or from some place you don't really know if it is really new or not like EBay... don't know. Either way, I think you are better off with the replacement too.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM

I've not read this entire thread, but as you've mentioned the thread I started I thought I'd drop by and say the transcend card I bought was new. I put it in my laptop card reader, transferred files onto it, put it in my Zen and it didn't work. I then tried reformatting using windows - several times - and it still didn't work.

Eventually I got it working by downloading the app from:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

and then reformatting it (still using my laptop card reader, but this time using the app instead of the standard windows reformatter)

Jonny

Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks Jonny. That is good to know. It looks as though either Transcend maybe shipping these cards with an improper format or the Zen is a little sensitive to how SD cards are formatted. My vote is for the Zen being a little picky. Especially since, I believe, this card was one of the first 8GB SDHC cards that came out. Perhaps if nrfuller could verify his working or not in an SDHC reader, then we will have at least these two incidents verified. I would definitely say if anyone is having problems getting their working SDHC card to work in the Zen, to give it a proper reformat with the SDFormatter program.

Edit: It looks like, in the last page of the "SDHC Card Compatibility Thread", there are a few others that say they have used the 8GB Transcend Class 6 card with no problems in the Zen. So maybe there is a bad batch of improperly formatted cards, or the ones having issues in the Zen (when they work in other SDHC card readers) are just some left over older cards from when they were first released..... something along those lines. If this is the case, I would stick to purchasing the Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card from places that have been known to work with the Zen out of the package. It looks like Amazon maybe one of those "safe" places according to a couple people in that thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 AM

Well I tried the replacement card and it worked just fine in the SDHC reader I got and also played just fine in the Zen, no formatting necessary.

So I'm gonna agree with Bobby's theory that some of the cards were just improperly formatted, etc. The good news is that the formatting seems to fix the problem, so hopefully that means no one will wind up with a total junker of a card.

Thanks very much for all the input and help, I thank you and my zen thanks you!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem nrfuller. Good to hear it is all working for you now.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

After taking a listen to the Touch I can say (no offense to anyone) I'm definitely NOT going that route. With all those great features - and it does ROCK - I'm not to happy with the sq. I'll go back to my D2 and keep mackin' the Zen (DEFINITELY sounds better than Touch - only the Touch is LOUDER). The ZEN, even with all its faults, just has such a clean sound and the sound stage and separation is SOOOO good. I'm sorry I even contemplated a Touch as I didn't expect the disappointment I ended up feeling. GET BUSY ON THE SD INTEGRATION Creative - WE'RE WAITING!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Petition for better firmware and SD integration. Please sign and repost everywhere this is relevant!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SDZEN

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KGTP View Post
This is why I got the Zen, as it had standard SD card integration, not a MicroSD card. I'm gonna sit for a couple months and see if the Touch drops 100$ like the rumors state it will......
I have a Touch ...... and a couple of Zens.

The sound quality from the Touch is quite poor compared to the Zen and for that reason I only use it for Video and Wifi.

The Zen is my music player and like many on here I use the SD card only for video.

Best music player I have ....... so far
Current Collection: Sony: NWZ-A866, NWZ-A845, NWZ-X1060 Creative: ZEN(32GB), Zen Vision, Zen Micro, Zen NX, Muvo2 Sandisk: Sansa e280, Clip, Clip+, Fuze+ Rio: Carbon iRiver: T60 iPod: Nano, Shuffle Shure: SE530, SE420 SE210 & E3C.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Well, i just had to request a RMA from Transcend as 1 of the 8GB SD cards was showing only 3.5GB for some reason. Hopefully they send me a new one in sealed in the package so I can eBay it.....

I think I am going to get a 8GB Touch for my wife, and hold out for the price drop to get myself a 16GB. It's her birthday coming up so I figured I would get a gift wrapped one for her.....

She does not really listen to music too much, but I figure she would like the intuitive touch screen over little buttons.....

Old 04-07-2008, 01:04 PM

hahahahaha , iPod touch have NO card slot at all , and the zen is also available with 16 and 32 gb (plus it is not that expensive)

Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelsWayOfLife View Post
hahahahaha , iPod touch have NO card slot at all , and the zen is also available with 16 and 32 gb (plus it is not that expensive)
I know it costs more, but has more "gadget" features I like. Like a Touchscreen & WiFi. the 16GB Touch is about 80$ more than the 16GB Zen. The 32GB is 75$ more....

I work from home, therefore do not have any type of commute. I really don't need to carry my entire Music Library with me at all times.

Of course this relies on the 100$ price drop rumor in the next 60 days, and my Employer discount I get from Apple.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:42 PM

if u wanna use wifi , forget it and buy a laptop , al these wifi Bull**** , psp , touch and so on is terrible , none of them is working good imho.

touchscreen is nice but not very robust ... the importance of this point depends on what u'll doing with ur player (sports etc.)

and dont forget these : the zen got more features then the iPod

(by the way: god this sounds like a total fanboy post , but its just the way it is , belive me ^^ )