android
Old 04-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
The sd card really doesn't matter to me anyway as I have 32gb to play with. I only use the sd card for vids myself. As for the lower capacity players it IS a problem because some may have needed that extra capacity to get a decent size music library going. Remember; its stated on the Creative site that you can use the card to increase the capacity of your player - they LEAD you to believe that it will be a part of your main filing system - not a separately browsed drive. That is not what 99% of buyers expected. It not being a problem for me or anyone else doesn't change the fact that they are using deceptive advertising practices to sell a product that has been a letdown for most customers - new AND old alike. I like my ZEN better than I did the Cowon D2 I had - is it better? Who knows - its just better for me. Does that mean I'll try to talk you out of buying it? Of COURSE NOT! But if you want the truth I'll tell you as best as I can. Does the sd card integration matter - yes it does because it was supposed to be a MAIN FEATURE of the player. Its just that its not the way its supposed to be-PERIOD!!! The ZEN could be the best player on the market and Creative is just killing it for all - their latest screwup proves it.

I agree-
I put movies & Videos on My 8gb SD cards, Music is stored on 32 G of internal memory, plenty of memory my netcasts & music on th eplayer and movies seperated on SD card make it easier for me to manage.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Even with its limitations its a great player. I just wish they would correct some of the issues that shouldn't even exist. Overall I DO recommend this player as I can personally say that I and all the people that I know have never had a problem with it. And with good earbuds (got my V-Moda Bass Freqs today - YAY!!!) this thing really does have some great SQ. It kicks AZZ!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Well, just dumped a bit of cash. I ordered a 8GB Touch for the wife and had it engraved for her birthday (a couple weeks off) and got a 16GB used off of eBay for myself in "like new" condition.

So Zen's will likely go to eBay soon, unless my kids want them....

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM

ur fault...

Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KGTP View Post
Well, just dumped a bit of cash. I ordered a 8GB Touch for the wife and had it engraved for her birthday (a couple weeks off) and got a 16GB used off of eBay for myself in "like new" condition.

So Zen's will likely go to eBay soon, unless my kids want them....
It's all dependent on what you feel best suits your needs. I'd get the Touch if the SQ were up to par. Weighed against all the other players it has SO many more features. It all falls down to how the player sounds to you in the long run and if the Touch is for you - then enjoy!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:41 AM

I like the looks of the Touch and nano, but the Zen wins with its easy friendly UI ( drag drop uload from Windows Explorer, No iTunes or any software needed. and 32 GB of Flash with expansion slot great features,
FM Tuner Everything I need in a PMP. I am not too keen on touch screens, and like the ability to expand my players capacity with a simple SD card loaded with Movies/Videos.

iPod may look nice and sexy but lacks features for the price.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM

It is pretty funny that the trend for years has been smaller and smaller players, with larger and larger capacity.

Suddenly ipod goes larger (itouch) and small capacity in that size, and some people love it. Weird.

I realize that features have been added, but iphone and itouch are way too big for my needs. I see people wearing them on armands at the gym and they look completely ridiculous.

I love the Zen.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For the size with the features the ZEN is a better choice IMO. I went back to my D2 cause I prefer the touch interface but my friend has my ZEN and suffice it to say - he's in LOVE with it. I don't blame him and I can say with confidence that, even if I've said it before, the ZEN is a great player. If they ever corrected the sd card prob I feel this would kill almost all players on the market - PERIOD!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
For the size with the features the ZEN is a better choice IMO..... If they ever corrected the sd card prob I feel this would kill almost all players on the market - PERIOD!!!
I agree 100%.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel II View Post
It is pretty funny that the trend for years has been smaller and smaller players, with larger and larger capacity.

Suddenly ipod goes larger (itouch) and small capacity in that size, and some people love it. Weird.

I realize that features have been added, but iphone and itouch are way too big for my needs. I see people wearing them on armands at the gym and they look completely ridiculous.

I love the Zen.
Having the Internet accessible like you can with the iPhone/iTouch can skew the norm I think. Having this feature, I think more people are willing to overlook the size. Plus some like the larger screen/size because of web browsing.

I used to carry around an IPAQ PDA which allowed me to use WiFi. It had a large screen and was nice. However, I hated carrying it. I seem to always want smaller with not necessarily more features, but with features I only need; which is usually only music, pics, and videos. Having those keep me entertained just fine while I don't have the Internet around. The Zen's size, portability, and features fit perfectly.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey - the ZEN is a STELLAR PLAYER!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:40 PM

im also unhappy with the SD integration, but who isnt??

anyways, as for the ipod touch and iphone thing, i believe that it isnt really players or stuff getting smaller and smaller, but more like the screen getting bigger and bigger AS the player gets smaller and smaller. with the touch and iphone, theres practically no space on the top thats not the screen, its all a screen! i think people like bigger screens and smaller players, thats why touch screen is so popular these days (and the fact that its touch), it meets their standards both ways.

the zen keeps the large screen but keeps intact the tactile buttons. personally, i wish they went the same way as the miezu and made it a slide touch thing (creative's tactile seems so cheap).

Old 04-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnandy View Post
im also unhappy with the SD integration, but who isnt??
I'm not. I like it just the way it is. I have the 32gb player. Needing to scan thru more than that to find what I want to hear is too much. I'm very happy with the sd card being separate.

However, it would be nice if you cold shuffle things there, see ratings, etc. But that is just a nice to have. I mainly have stuff I hardly ever listen to on the SD card, and videos and pics.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel II View Post
However, it would be nice if you cold shuffle things there, see ratings, etc. But that is just a nice to have. I mainly have stuff I hardly ever listen to on the SD card, and videos and pics.

So, library integration aside, you still think the functionality of SD card needs to be improved. You're not completely happy with it then......

Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Although I don't really have an issue directly with SD card integration of files into the library, yes it would be nice to have other functions of the sd card like bookmarking, zooming of photos and other issues that Nickel II mentioned. I do consider this integration as well; just not with the library, but with the OS.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

LOL! The choice isn't just the creative Zen or ipod Touch. How about a Cowon D2? Considering that the Zen is $50 less than a D2 with the same amount of storage, the Zen isn't so bad for the price. I guess one could argue that the Sandisk Fuze is close in price to the Zen for the same amount of storage, and that the Fuze is a better deal. The Fuze only comes with up to 8 gig of storage, and uses micro SD cards, vs full sized SD cards for the D2 or Zen. Micro SD cards are much more expensive than full sized SD cards, and are only available with up to 8 gigs of storage. An 8 gig Fuze Plus an 8 gig micro SD card costs more than a 16 gig Zen. While the Zen isn't perfect, one could still get some use from the SD card slot. The Zen also has a larger screen than the Fuze. With all this competition, I am hoping the price of the D2 will drop. The price has been stuck in place for a long time. Some of my friends said they might be interested in getting a 4 gig D2 when the price gets to $100.

I would like to see Apple drop its prices. Not because I want to buy an ipod, but because other players like the D2 would then probably drop in price as well.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Default shuffle songs on the SD card - yes or no?

Hello, first time poster here, and I've become rather fascinated with the Zen after someone mentioned the SD card side of it is pretty much UMS.

I'm just wondering, as of the latest firmware, is it possible to shuffle the songs placed on an SD card? I did some research, and there are*multiple conflicting answers. I don't need to shuffle the SD card contents *with* the*library on the Zen itself, but having this knowledge would definitely help wiht my decision-making.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No, they will only play in the order they are in on the sd card. If you've placed them in folders they will likewise only play in said order (#1, #2, #3, etc) - no shuffle or random play.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks nywytboy68!

And if anyone's seeing a bunch of CSS code in the first post, I tried to edit them out a few times, but the system kept putting them back in. Sorry

Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No prob - had a Zen 32gb and loved it (the sd integration was a non-issue for me though). Still feel its great and my buddy, who has me player, loves it his self!!!