android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Page Sansa Fuze 8GB First Impressions *UPDATED /w Nano comparison pics*

My Initial Impressions
  • The viewing of album art when browsing through your music is nice, however, the load time is a little slow (1.5-2.0 secs). I'm using 320kbps mp3s, I don't know if this may effect it. Fortunately, this does not effect browsing speed, however, it does take up more space on the screen. With album art preview on, you can only see four (4) albums as opposed to six (6) when AA preview is turned off.
  • Sound quality; it's just good as the clip and view in my opinion. It's probably fine for the average DAP enthusiast. I'm using Creative EP-630 IEMs btw.
  • Initial impressions of the transfer speed were ... ... ... very slow (no numbers). It felt longer than the clip and view. It might be me though; I'm a speed freak.
  • The screen resolution is just fine for viewing your album art and photos, I don't see much of a difference from the standard 320x240 res. But video takes a decent hit. Again, partially my opinion. No numbers or test involved.
  • The scrolling of the wheel feels a little loser than the View. I prefer the tighter feel of the View so I have a better sense of control, however, I haven't slipped my thumb yet while scrolling threw the music; so that's good.
  • Music ratings show up by default for the song you're currently listening to. I don't remember the View having this, and I can't check because I returned that player. A firmware update will probably be released for the View.
  • USB mode can be selected in the menu.
  • The silver coat is oblivious to finger prints as usual.
  • The Micro SDHC slot works just like the View. It integrates seamlessly.
  • Interface is responsive.
  • You need to have some finger nails to be able to unplug the data cable while the earbuds are plugged in.
  • As usual, battery life may be rated for 25hrs however, most people will get around 20hrs. I expect 16-18 with 320kbps MP3s.
  • I don't use audiobooks, and I don't use the radio. So I can't say much about that.
  • Build quality is just plain good. Rubber back. And the weight of the player feels just right.

I will update with more info as soon as I find it.

*Update 1*
I just took some comparison with my friends 3rd gen Nano and my Sansa.
Here they are hot from campus.

*Update 2*
Got all my friends together that brought Sansas (and my old ones ) and took a "family picture"

*Update 3*
I received a PM from a user here at ABi wondering if the Fuze supported Unicode while in the English language mode, and the answer is yes. I have a few Japanese Pop and Rock songs untranslated on my Sansa Fuze, View, and Clip; they all display properly. I will test a Mandarin/Cantonese file soon from the requester.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-27-08_0909.jpg (61.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 03-27-08_0910.jpg (64.2 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 03-27-08_0911.jpg (60.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 03-27-08_1042.jpg (69.5 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1379.JPG_resize.JPG (103.9 KB, 358 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 AM

thanks for the report. the speed might be a concern, although other reports says that the updating of the db wasn't long or annoying.

is this true?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
ABI Founder

Updating 1GB on a 2GB card took but a few seconds. It might get closer to a min if you were using a 8GB or 12GB card, but it will only do the update once when the card is inserted.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Folks who have been able to compare the SQ of the Clip to the View have said that the Clip's SQ is superior. So hopefully the Fuze's SQ is as good as the Clip's. ;-) I'll compare when my Fuze finishes syncing!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM

according to reports, the fuze uses the same sound chip as the Clip.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBu View Post
according to reports, the fuze uses the same sound chip as the Clip.
That is correct, however, the circuitry inside the player also plays a role in the sound quality of the player.

Unless you have the ears for it, the difference in quality between the View, Fuze, and Clip should not be significantly different.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 PM

I'm wondering - did you just go into the store and ask them to check if it was in stock, or did your order online and do in-store pickup?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalias View Post
I'm wondering - did you just go into the store and ask them to check if it was in stock, or did your order online and do in-store pickup?
I ordered online and and choose instore pickup. The are on the shelves though; some BesBuys might keep the player in their back stock.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Thumb Up

Thanks for the comparison pics!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOforever1 View Post
I ordered online and and choose instore pickup. The are on the shelves though; some BesBuys might keep the player in their back stock.
Cool, I think I'll go in and see if they have it, since I'd rather pay with my debit card. Plus, they have a 10% coupon which may work on it.

And thanks for the pics!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOforever1 View Post
That is correct, however, the circuitry inside the player also plays a role in the sound quality of the player.

Unless you have the ears for it, the difference in quality between the View, Fuze, and Clip should not be significantly different.
Great review and thanks for the comparison & pics. 1 question myself: is the difference in sound THAT small that the view would be a better choice? I've been considering 1 of the 2 (view vs fuse) but I'm more interested in the higher capacity player. If the fuze is that much better in sq I'd deal w/smaller memory for the pleasure of the superior sound.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Great review and thanks for the comparison & pics. 1 question myself: is the difference in sound THAT small that the view would be a better choice? I've been considering 1 of the 2 (view vs fuse) but I'm more interested in the higher capacity player. If the fuze is that much better in sq I'd deal w/smaller memory for the pleasure of the superior sound.
If the slightly weighter player and larger form factor isn't a problem for you, then I would recommend the View for higher capacities. Seeing that you are questioning the difference in quality then I assume you won't hear the difference.

Oh this was just my first impressions of the player, but thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, gonna' see about getting a 32gb View - I just wonder if the sound is better then the Zen (DaHarder feels so and I see his posts all the time - I've learned to respect his opinion as he's usually on point!!!). You've been the deciding factor and once again THANKS!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Thanks, gonna' see about getting a 32gb View - I just wonder if the sound is better then the Zen (DaHarder feels so and I see his posts all the time - I've learned to respect his opinion as he's usually on point!!!). You've been the deciding factor and once again THANKS!!!
I'm glad you found what fits you. 32GB Views are still very expensive though. Be ready to put down as much money as many premium players out in the market.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just did a Google and the price IS too steep - I guess I will have to wait a little while till it drops a bit and a few stores get it in stock (only Sandisk and - eventually - Amazon).

Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Didn't realize it was that much bigger than the Nano. I think I just might suck up the limit of 4gigs on the Clip for awhile longer.

Funny thing is I've got a 4gig shuffle knockoff that might get me to sell the 4gig clip. If I can get swimman to waterproof it like they do with Shuffles, I'll have 4gigs of waterproof goodness in an extremely small form factor. I'll settle for the lesser sound quality and lack of amenities for that kind of size difference. I'd have to throw the Clip in a much bigger waterproof case for swimming.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Didn't realize it was that much bigger than the Nano. I think I just might suck up the limit of 4gigs on the Clip for awhile longer.

Funny thing is I've got a 4gig shuffle knockoff that might get me to sell the 4gig clip. If I can get swimman to waterproof it like they do with Shuffles, I'll have 4gigs of waterproof goodness in an extremely small form factor. I'll settle for the lesser sound quality and lack of amenities for that kind of size difference. I'd have to throw the Clip in a much bigger waterproof case for swimming.
that much bigger? doesn't seem like that big of a difference to me...it probably feels more solid and substantial than the Nano

Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM

well I'm not about to buy a nano, but if I'm coming from a Clip... It's thicker and longer and just a smidge narrower. I'd be getting it instead of my Clip. Seeing that it's even bigger than the Nano, it's a big difference.

And I highly doubt it feels more solid and substantial than the Nano. If it's one thing ipod's don't lack is a solid and substantial feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
that much bigger? doesn't seem like that big of a difference to me...it probably feels more solid and substantial than the Nano

Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 PM

for all of you fortunate ones who have your Fuze..(mine's in the mail as of Apr. 1 according to Sandisk), I have a question?.

Is the db refresh still as slow as on the e200's?
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
for all of you fortunate ones who have your Fuze..(mine's in the mail as of Apr. 1 according to Sandisk), I have a question?.

Is the db refresh still as slow as on the e200's?
It is faster and will only refresh when you add new content; unlike the e200 where it would refresh every time you start the player.