android
Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
ABI Founder

Default abi>> Fuze Review

Here is the official anythingbutipod Sansa Fuze Review. Please enjoy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good review Dude!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 PM

yeah, good review. BTW Enzo I've been wondering...which mp3 player do you use the most out of your huge collection lol.

Music Organizer: MediaMonkey
My Last.fm

Old 03-28-2008, 08:28 PM
ABI Founder

i dont know if there is anyone i use the most out of the collection. It changes whenever i get a new player which is a few times a month- but lately i have been using the Fuze with the Shure SE530s

Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM

ok, thanks!

Music Organizer: MediaMonkey
My Last.fm

Old 03-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Uh, Enzo - I know this may be the wrong place to ask BUT which do you consider the best as for as SQ is concerned? I like my Zen but the S618 really rocks out. Now the Fuze comes along and I'm thinking this may be a better choice for SQ (I not saying its better than the S618) and the fact that I need at least 16gb of space brings it up closer to my needs (with the expansion slot). Or, should I just wait for 1 of the new Sony series?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 PM
ABI Founder

I like the sound of the sansa fuze better than the sony s610 and a810, not saying that the sony is bad but there is something i dont like about the low end mid bass and it became much more evident after listening to it on the shure se530s... its too exaggerated and cloudy imo, the fuze and the clip have a nice flat low end are is pretty flat throughout the spectrum.

now a friend of mine at the French site genMP3 said that the new sony 820 doenst sound as good as the 810 series. i will let you know for sure as soon as i pick one up.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, thanks. I'll think about the Fuze as my new prospect.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 PM

I bought a 8GB Fuze from BestBuy last Monday. I have put the Fuze on ebay. The sound quality was less than expected. Significantly lower than iPod Nano a coworker has. There was obvious noise at 75-80% volume. At any volume there was noise in playback of certain songs with quiet intros. The same songs had no noise in playback on my iriver 795. The volume at 80% is about the same as my iriver 795 and iriver t60 at 50% The fuze wasn't playing back some dual layer guitar tracks as expected also. One layer would be quieter than another layer. I've played the same dual layer guitar track mp3s on home computer, home stereo, car stereo, iriver 795, iriver t60 and have never noticed anything like that.

Don't get me wrong though, all the other functionality it has (microSD card slot which is fully integrated, video, photos, etc) is a good deal for only $130 dollars. But i wouldn't give the player to anyone i liked, based on the sound quality i encountered.

If it matters all i was using was a $30 dollar pair of sony "exercise/outdoor" headphones that wrap behind the ears. I think i've seen a very similar sony pair of head phones which were not considered for "exercise/outdoor" use, go for $15. So i don't think my headphones have anything to do with my judgement of the audio.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguff View Post
If it matters all i was using was a $30 dollar pair of sony "exercise/outdoor" headphones that wrap behind the ears. I think i've seen a very similar sony pair of head phones which were not considered for "exercise/outdoor" use, go for $15. So i don't think my headphones have anything to do with my judgement of the audio.
That's strange, just about all the other comments i've read about the Fuze say the sound quality is outstanding. Could you have gotten a defective unit? Also, I don't understand your take on the cheap Sony headphones not having anything to do with the sound quality. As far as I know cheap headphones aren't known to bring out the best in a player. Why do you consider them not to be a factor?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
So i don't think my headphones have anything to do with my judgement of the audio.
You are kidding right? $30 headphones have nothing to do with your assessment of sound quality?

Sorry you are not going to be able to tell the difference between ANY MP3 player with $30 headphones. I dont care if you have ear of gold, its just not possible. Sorry you are way off base.

I have tested countless of players and the Fuze on a set of $500 Shure Se530s and a set of $500 Sennhesier 650s- i can assure you that the Fuze's sound quality is excellent.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since the Fuze sounds like the Clip (as Enzo said, and since they use the same SOC/DAC/CODEC), it should most likely be one of the best sounding players available. I used my Clip with several high-end headphones (SE530, HFI-780, HD650+amp, ...), and it withstood every single test - it just sounds really great.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post

I have tested countless of players and the Fuze on a set of $500 Shure Se530s and a set of $500 Sennhesier 650s- i can assure you that the Fuze's sound quality is excellent.
How does it compare with the sound quality of the D2? How much power does the Fuze put out? Will it drive less efficient headphones to a decent volume? How is the build quality of the Fuze compared to the D2? I wouldn't mind a less expensive alternative to the D2 as long as it performs as well.

Having a resume feature for each podcast file is nice. Will it play low bitrate(16 kbps) files? How does the variable speed playback work? Is the sound quality okay when playing voice recordings at 1.5X? Can it play at 1.5x for low bitrate(16 kbps) mp3 files as well? Will the resume feature for each podcast file work for files on the micro SD card as well?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
ABI Founder

Flat EQ to flat EQ they are they are the same, but the D2 will have an advantage with BBE and the extensive EQ. As far as being able to drive larger headphones, it drives the HD650s to a decent level and sounds very good. (dfkt can comment more on this since i see no real performance differences between the Clip and the Fuze and he is more of a D2 user than me. So if he were to compare the SQ of the D2 to the Clip that would give you another opinion.)

As far as you there Qs i dont have it in front of me at the moment but from what i can remember it does resume on SD files. Also i do know that when playing back at 1.5x there is no pitch correction.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 PM

The manual states 32-320kbps. I haven't confirmed that it won't play 16kbps, but you should probably assume it won't.

UPDATE: It does play 16kbps mp3's.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I bought a 8GB Fuze from BestBuy last Monday. I have put the Fuze on ebay. The sound quality was less than expected. Significantly lower than iPod Nano a coworker has. There was obvious noise at 75-80% volume. At any volume there was noise in playback of certain songs with quiet intros. The same songs had no noise in playback on my iriver 795. The volume at 80% is about the same as my iriver 795 and iriver t60 at 50% The fuze wasn't playing back some dual layer guitar tracks as expected also. One layer would be quieter than another layer. I've played the same dual layer guitar track mp3s on home computer, home stereo, car stereo, iriver 795, iriver t60 and have never noticed anything like that.

Don't get me wrong though, all the other functionality it has (microSD card slot which is fully integrated, video, photos, etc) is a good deal for only $130 dollars. But i wouldn't give the player to anyone i liked, based on the sound quality i encountered.

Ipod ear buds used on a fuze do cut out at about 80%, it's might be a impedence difference.

The sansa ear buds even sound better when plugged into the Ipod.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Will it drive less efficient headphones to a decent volume?
I just tried it with my big 64ohm Sennheiser cans. It could get to a "decent" volume, but not particularly loud. I don't generally use those with mp3s, because mp3s sound kind of "dead" on those headphones (plus, they're too huge to port around!).

Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Enzo, like you tested a lot of mp3 players those past years, which one do you prefer between the Iriver Ihp 120 and the Iaudio X5?
I have a IHP 120 which break down a bit. And I don't know which player I gonna buy. I like the Fuze very much, nice and small and apparently sounds great. But the X5 seems better...
Thanks for helping.

PS: I bought the Z-5500 and an X-Fi platinium and it sounds really better than the Iriver with the same track (Daft Punk Alive 2007 320kbps)

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Also I tried it in a shop, it's far for being gapless on the microSD. Is it better on the flash memory...

Is the Zen better on this point or on the sound quality. Cause in France, it's easier to get a Zen than a Fuze.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samatrax View Post
Also I tried it in a shop, it's far for being gapless on the microSD. Is it better on the flash memory...

Is the Zen better on this point or on the sound quality. Cause in France, it's easier to get a Zen than a Fuze.
The Zen's not gapless, not sure if the gap is shorter at all. As for sound quality, no contest, the Fuze is better.

Tags
fuze, review