android
Old 03-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Just picked up an 8GB Fuze

It's charging right now. I'll post some impressions once I've played around with it for a little while. There will also be some comparison pictures once I've gathered all the various MP3 players.

OK, so I've played with it a little bit and I've got a few impressions from it so far:
  • The build quality is very good. I haven't noticed any flexing or odd noises so far. The seam between the faceplate and the back appears a little shoddy, but like I said, it doesn't feel like it.
    The screen is very nice. It doesn't have the highest resolution, which makes the text appear slightly blocky (much like the e200 series), but it's bright and easy to read.
    The scroll wheel is excellent! It feels extremely smooth while scrolling through long lists of music. It has very subtle "bumps" whenever you move down the list, which is helpful. It is also made of the same rubber/silicone-type material as the back, which reduces finger slippage.
    Sound quality appears to be excellent, though I'm no audiophile. The included earphones are good quality.

More to come!

Edit: Here are some pictures comparing the Fuze, e260, Samsung T9, and iPod Video.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Zune Moderator

nice! can't wait to see your thoughts

Old 03-29-2008, 05:28 PM

I won't be able to update until late tonight, since I have to go to work now. It'll be up soon though, promise!

*Update* Added a few first impressions and some comparison pictures!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 AM

I picked mine up about a week ago, and so far it's ok.

I'm not liking the lack AAC support, and videos at 20fps aren't too pleasant to look at.

I also found the 8gb silver color a bit drab, but I rectified that issue with some cranberry paint/clear, an airbrush and a little patience, the other problems won't be so easy to fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Sansa Fuze and View 001.jpg (64.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Dav's Sansa Fuse 8gb 002.jpg (110.3 KB, 51 views)

Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Yes, it's definitely not the best player for video. So I'd avoid it if that's what you're looking for. The fact that it doesn't support AAC is probably a problem for lots of people, but I don't use iTunes so it doesn't bother me. And I actually kind of like the silver/gray color. It's perfect for resisting scratches/fingerprints, and it matches my PSP.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM

A few options if you aren't fond of the bold silver color:

- 4gb models come in blue, black, pink, red
Good, if you're willing to sacrifice the extra gbs or you can just buy a mirco sd card

- silicone cases will very likely be released in different colors, in which they also protect the player

Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM

the_little_guy,

can you take a look at the upper left corner of the lcd screen. is your lcd screen some what tilted to the right. i read somewhere, people reporting this problem and i notice it in mine too.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:04 AM

I bought 2 of these about a week ago from Best Buy. While these are our first dedicated mp3 players, they are pretty nice (PDAs). It appears that they are no longer listed on the Best Buy website. I always check prices before the price adjustment period is up. Only issues is with the included earbuds. Luckily I have some E2c but my wife has o use the included. Perhaps we'll both upgrade with tax rebate check in May. I did not see a "tilted" screen on my unit.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM

yeah BB doesnt have it on their site. but the stores do have them in stock. if you dont see it on the shelf or in the display case, ask the sales person if they have it.

i didnt see them at my store but the girl working there knew they had them in storage. i asked why, and she said they didnt have space on the shelf for them. maybe they should put away those damn sansa c models and put the fuze out.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM

They were actually listed onsite a week ago when I bought my 2. This week...no listing at all for the 8GB.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Stopped at my local BB today. No Fuzes. The salesman said they were told they wouldn't have any until the end of the month!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolist View Post
Stopped at my local BB today. No Fuzes. The salesman said they were told they wouldn't have any until the end of the month!
Stopped in also to a few BB's in my town (LA) looking for the Fuze 8GB. Went to Pasadena, West LA and Culver City stores... nothing. No firm date of delivery or even availability. Amazon is putting out that it's 3-4 months (!!!??!!) and Sansa's site claims about the same.

Where are these things? We're set to go on vacation in mid-June and I had hoped to take my new Tunes machine with us? Any hope? My ol' Dell DJ is in the bitter Winter of it's life. Need a new dog.

Any thots?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Well I went to another BB a few miles away and they actually had the 8GB in stock. I didn't ask how many but he said there were more under the counter. Cagey, I don't think it'll be that long, the first BB said at the end of the month. I think it'll be out well before June. It's worth waiting for, this thing is sweeeet!!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well I went to another BB a few miles away and they actually had the 8GB in stock. I didn't ask how many but he said there were more under the counter. Cagey, I don't think it'll be that long, the first BB said at the end of the month. I think it'll be out well before June. It's worth waiting for, this thing is sweeeet!!
Thanks for the reply, Riolist. (Which BB did you try.) No, I'm not desperate, am I? *nervous laugh* Sounds like a great machine. I'll keep calling around.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:19 PM

I'm in NY. I went to the one in Valley Stream, it's just over the Queens border on Long Island. It's a really nice player, seems very well built and the wheel is flawless, smooth, and error free, plus $129 for 8GB is amazing. The ipod nano is $149 for 4GB with no expansion, voice recording, or radio. The Fuze is probably the best for price/performance on the market right now.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I'm in NY. I went to the one in Valley Stream, it's just over the Queens border on Long Island. It's a really nice player, seems very well built and the wheel is flawless, smooth, and error free, plus $129 for 8GB is amazing. The ipod nano is $149 for 4GB with no expansion, voice recording, or radio. The Fuze is probably the best for price/performance on the market right now.
NY? Ugh.... Hopefully the westward expansion of availability for these won't be wagon-train speed?

Update: Called a few local BB's here in So Cal. Most have the 2gb's and the 4's are on backorder. No sign of the 8giggers.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

They have the Fuze in stock here in NY all over the place - the BB on Queens Blvd. in Forest Hills (Elmhurst) has them.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
They have the Fuze in stock here in NY all over the place - the BB on Queens Blvd. in Forest Hills (Elmhurst) has them.
Hey nywytboy68, we're neighbors!
That's the one I went to a few days ago. They told me they wouldn't have them until the end of the month. They did have a 2GB on display, but none in stock. Do they have the 8GB's now?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I know they had the 4gb model in stock last week but not sure about the 8. I could find out by mid-week an let you know.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
I know they had the 4gb model in stock last week but not sure about the 8. I could find out by mid-week an let you know.
Thanks but I got my 8GB already from Green Acres, I was just curious.