android
Old 04-03-2008, 12:24 PM

Default How to encode video for Fuse?

I just bought the Sansa Fuse yesterday. I have been encoding video to one format or another for many years now, but I am having the hardest time encoding video for this thing.

To get video to play, I have to encode from divx/xvid to mp4 using Any Video Converter, then run it through Sansa Media Converter. Then manually drag and drop it to the Fuse (ignoring the error message). In other words, nothing near as easy as the instructions claim.

Has anyone else out there found a better way to get video converted? I like this player, but it is a real pain to get my video on it.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM

Try WMV format then then convert it

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM

I think I was just unlucky in the first few videos I was trying to encode. I got the K-Lite Codec pack that has been suggested to help with video on the Sansa, and while it didn't help with the first videos, it works on everything else I have thrown at it. So, perhaps there is something wrong with the video I was trying to convert.

And since my first post, the Sansa Media Converter has been acting more as it should. It now transfers converted video to the Fuse as the documentation said it would.

I can't point to any one thing, but I can now get my video playing (and in sync) without problems.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargin Icehole View Post
I think I was just unlucky in the first few videos I was trying to encode. I got the K-Lite Codec pack that has been suggested to help with video on the Sansa, and while it didn't help with the first videos, it works on everything else I have thrown at it. So, perhaps there is something wrong with the video I was trying to convert.

And since my first post, the Sansa Media Converter has been acting more as it should. It now transfers converted video to the Fuse as the documentation said it would.

I can't point to any one thing, but I can now get my video playing (and in sync) without problems.
The K-Lite Codec pack has helped me sooooooooooo much, now I
can download mp4 video and convert it to the Fuze using
Sansa Media Converter.

Thank you for the info. . . . . .

Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM

I wonder if it works with Gordian Knot Codec Pack as well..??. I have that installed and am a little leery about installing the K-Lite fearing that the installation will screw up the codecs already installed?.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Default K-Lite w/Gordian Knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
I wonder if it works with Gordian Knot Codec Pack as well..??. I have that installed and am a little leery about installing the K-Lite fearing that the installation will screw up the codecs already installed?.
I know what you mean about installing too many different codecs (been there). I am not familiar with the Gordian Knot Codec pack, so I couldn't say if you would have a problem or not. There is only one sure-fire way of knowing if it will work for you or not. Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 PM

K-Lite is a piece of garbage, GKnot is good.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Default Video for Sansa Fuze using Handbrake

O.K. I have experimented with multiple things and I have found this setting to work satisfactorily using Handbrake (a free Open source tool for working with video) This was done with the older version of Handbrake version "0.9.3"

You cannot download this version off of their mainsite, which is a little odd since most open source software will host older versions of their software, but not handbrake. Perhaps it is a cost issue, because hosting and storage is expensive. You can still find older versions of Handbrake on the web if you just search around. One day I will figure out how to make it work with the latest version but for those of you who are impatient, like myself, here it is.

Open up Handbrake and first load your video. I was using a DVD folder so I loaded the video folder first. Then I chose a location to save my file under destination. Once you do that and have named your file goto presets then goto the Basic/Classic setting. Now go to the Output setting and choose AVI file. Then under the Picture setting Tab under size, type in 320x240, I'm sure you could play with the other setting on that tab but I didn't, I just left them as they were. Now goto the Video Tab and choose mpeg4(X-vid) for Video Codec. For frame rate I tried both 23.976 and 29.97 and they both worked. Then change the Average bit rate to 500 kbps. Now onto the next tab Audio&subtitles. I kept the source as automatic then changed the audio codec to mp3, then I made the Mixdown stereo and then the most important part is the samplerate. It should be 44.1. If you do not do this your audio will become out of sync. you may not notice it at first but after about 30 min into the show the audio will be off if you do not force the samplerate and 44.1khz seems to work good. Now change the bitrate to 128. Now that's it for Handbrake. Just hit start and Handbrake will encode your video. You're not done yet, now you need to use SMC (Sansa Media Converter) to convert again to get it onto your Sansa Fuze. SMC does some voodoo magic that makes the player read it. You can download SMC from Sansa's website but it is tricky to find. I just went to the sansa forums to find it. With SMC you just add the file and click convert while your Fuze is plugged into your PC. Once it's done it should be on your player and play fine. Now don't expect fantastic video as the fuze is capable of decent video but it's no Ipod touch or Microsfot Zune, but it is decent and it is still awesome for audio files.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pderbidge View Post
O.K. I have experimented with multiple things and I have found this setting to work satisfactorily using Handbrake (a free Open source tool for working with video) This was done with the older version of Handbrake version "0.9.3"

You cannot download this version off of their mainsite, which is a little odd since most open source software will host older versions of their software, but not handbrake. Perhaps it is a cost issue, because hosting and storage is expensive. You can still find older versions of Handbrake on the web if you just search around. One day I will figure out how to make it work with the latest version but for those of you who are impatient, like myself, here it is.

Open up Handbrake and first load your video. I was using a DVD folder so I loaded the video folder first. Then I chose a location to save my file under destination. Once you do that and have named your file goto presets then goto the Basic/Classic setting. Now go to the Output setting and choose AVI file. Then under the Picture setting Tab under size, type in 320x240, I'm sure you could play with the other setting on that tab but I didn't, I just left them as they were. Now goto the Video Tab and choose mpeg4(X-vid) for Video Codec. For frame rate I tried both 23.976 and 29.97 and they both worked. Then change the Average bit rate to 500 kbps. Now onto the next tab Audio&subtitles. I kept the source as automatic then changed the audio codec to mp3, then I made the Mixdown stereo and then the most important part is the samplerate. It should be 44.1. If you do not do this your audio will become out of sync. you may not notice it at first but after about 30 min into the show the audio will be off if you do not force the samplerate and 44.1khz seems to work good. Now change the bitrate to 128. Now that's it for Handbrake. Just hit start and Handbrake will encode your video. You're not done yet, now you need to use SMC (Sansa Media Converter) to convert again to get it onto your Sansa Fuze. SMC does some voodoo magic that makes the player read it. You can download SMC from Sansa's website but it is tricky to find. I just went to the sansa forums to find it. With SMC you just add the file and click convert while your Fuze is plugged into your PC. Once it's done it should be on your player and play fine. Now don't expect fantastic video as the fuze is capable of decent video but it's no Ipod touch or Microsfot Zune, but it is decent and it is still awesome for audio files.
You can achieve the same results with MediaCoder. Also open source.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Default Media Coder suspicious

I looked up mediacoder and the only thing that makes me a little wary of it is that it says it is ad-supported. Wikipedia says
"There are no ads in the software GUI, although by default a web page containing ads is loaded on every startup."
What does that mean? There are ads but there are no ads? Very confusing. I couldn't find it on Sourceforge (a site that is dedicated to open source software).

Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pderbidge View Post
I looked up mediacoder and the only thing that makes me a little wary of it is that it says it is ad-supported. Wikipedia says
"There are no ads in the software GUI, although by default a web page containing ads is loaded on every startup."
What does that mean? There are ads but there are no ads? Very confusing. I couldn't find it on Sourceforge (a site that is dedicated to open source software).
although I haven't used it in a while I don't remember seeing any 'ads' while using it?. It does take you to web page (which you can disable later) for initial configuration during installation if that's what you mean?. I got some pretty good results from using it though.

My mistake...I should have said freeware as opposed to open source. Sorry if I confused you.