android
Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Default USB connection problem

when i plug the usb cable in to my computer it is showing that my ZVM is not connected! ! !
any advice will be greatly appreciated,thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 PM

what operating system do you have? did it work on the same computer before and suddenly stop working?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 AM

system is running windows XP SP2.
i had know issues until i took my hard drive in for clean up.
can't remember what system was running prior to clean up but SP2 was recently installed. pretty sure it may be a softwear issue but not sure which one.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If your system was recently reinstalled, then you may no longer have the MTP driver installed. You can fix this by either installing Creative's software or by going to Windows Update and installing Windows Media Player 11 from the list of Optional updates.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM

creative's software and windows media player 11 were both installed after clean up.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you verified that the drivers are being loaded properly; no conflicts in Device Manager?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY SOLES View Post
creative's software and windows media player 11 were both installed after clean up.
That's probably your problem. The two really should not be installed together. However, if you must keep them both on, then you need to download and install the update patch for Media Explorer, found on Creative's website.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM

i took off all creative's software and reinstalled wmp11. i've tried rebooting the zvm and my system is running windows XP SP2. is there another software that needs to be down loaded? should i uninstall wmp11 and install creative's software? i hear the sound when the zvm is plugged in but it's not doing anything. it's telling me that i have no connection. device manager seems to all working fine as well but will recheck!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, double check the device manager for driver issues. When you connect it to the computer and you hear the audible alert, does it begin charging (check the light)?

Another program you can try installing or upgrading to is the .Net Framework. You can download the latest version here.

Have you tried uninstalling WMP11 and revert back to WMP10 and try connecting the ZVM to see if it does any different? If not, leave WMP11 uninstalled and let me know. There are a few other fixes to try before reinstalling it.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You could also uninstall the entry in Device Manager, unplug, wait a few seconds, then plug in again.

It could also be within the player itself. If the player's filesystem is corrupt, it could do what you're describing. Usually a Disk Cleanup within the player's Recovery Mode will fix it up; however, sometimes reformatting the player is necessary.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
It could also be within the player itself. If the player's filesystem is corrupt, it could do what you're describing. Usually a Disk Cleanup within the player's Recovery Mode will fix it up; however, sometimes reformatting the player is necessary.
Yeah, but I doubt it though since he said he had no issues before he took his PC in for a clean up. I am suspecting the problem to be more on the computer end, but a disk cleanup on the Zen shouldn't hurt.

I am really thinking this is a driver issue. Maybe a combination of the ZVM, MTP, and USB drivers.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I am really thinking this is a driver issue. Maybe a combination of the ZVM, MTP, and USB drivers.
I'm inclined to agree.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yes, double check the device manager for driver issues. When you connect it to the computer and you hear the audible alert, does it begin charging (check the light)?

Another program you can try installing or upgrading to is the .Net Framework. You can download the latest version here.

Have you tried uninstalling WMP11 and revert back to WMP10 and try connecting the ZVM to see if it does any different? If not, leave WMP11 uninstalled and let me know. There are a few other fixes to try before reinstalling it.
when i roll back wmp11 it want remove it from add or remove progams.
when i try to remove wmf11 runtime it will show wmp11 is keeping it from being removed.
when i try to install wmp10 i get this message ( This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web site. )

RESOLUTION
If the Windows Media Format 11 runtime is listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, this behavior is by design. You must first uninstall the Windows Media Format 11 runtime before you can install Windows Media Player 10.

i've got it narrowed down to this but i can't remove wmf11 with out first removing wmp11 so that i can install wmp10. something is keep me from removing wmp11 and wmf11 completely! ! !

Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WMP will still show within Add/Remove Programs. It should just revert back to the previous version of WMP you had installed before version 11. Yes, remove the runtime after you remove WMP11 (sorry). Verify what version this is after you uninstall version 11.

You shouldn't have to remove WMF1.1. Just install the latest version.

Try downloading and installing WMP10 from here and WMP11 from here.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM

all i get when i try to install wmp10 is: " This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web site. "

when i search microsoft web site it said: " You must first uninstall the Windows Media Format 11 runtime before you can install Windows Media Player 10."

BUT, before i can uninstall windows media format 11 runtime i must unistall wmp11. when i do the roll back on wmp11 its like nothing is happening, even though it states that roll back has been completed.
because, when i go to back to uninstall windows media format 11 runtime and it shows that wmp11 stll exists.

wmp11 should still show "Windows Media Player 11" on Add/Remove Programs.... RIGHT?

thanks a bunch for your patients! ! !

Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM

the zvm will turn on and you will hear the audible alert when plugged in. still no connection.
TODAY:
i've done a disk clean up.
rebooted the zvm.
uninstall creative's software.
reinstalled wmp11.
installed .NET framework
& had MTP driver installed.
i've downloaded pic from the same usb port so shouldn't an issue there.
if i can get wmp10 installed i think that would fix the problem. first i must remove the runtime after i remove wmp11 but when i roll back wmp11, runtime shows that wmp11 is still blocking it.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

WMP10 won't install if you have WMP11 and/or the WMP11 runtimes installed. You must first uninstall WMP11, which will roll back to a version you had installed before installing WMP11. Then uninstall the WMP11 runtime. After they are both uninstalled, start WMP and take note of which version it says it is. If it says version 10, try connecting the ZVM and see if it is detected properly.

Try following Microsoft's directions for removing WMP11 here.

Quote:
TODAY:
i've done a disk clean up.
rebooted the zvm.
uninstall creative's software.
reinstalled wmp11.
installed .NET framework
& had MTP driver installed.
i've downloaded pic from the same usb port so shouldn't an issue there.
if i can get wmp10 installed i think that would fix the problem. first i must remove the runtime after i remove wmp11 but when i roll back wmp11, runtime shows that wmp11 is still blocking it.
You don't need to install version 10 if you already installed version 11.

Edit: Oh, don't foget to uninstall Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework as well, if listed.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-16-2008, 11:40 AM

so, are you saying if i already have wmp11 i should'nt need anything else for my zvm to work properly? because if so, my zvm still shows no connection!
this is the steps taken and the response that i get when trying to remove wmp11.

remove wmp11: windows media player11 roll back complete.

remove wmp11 runtime: Program dependencies are blocking roll back.

The following program (Windows Media Player11) depends on this version of Windows Media Format Runtime to run properly and must be removed before you roll back to the previous version of Windows Media Format Runtime. Set up will exit without making any changes to your computer.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try all options listed for removing WMP11 under the Microsoft's Knowledge Base artile I linked to above? That should get WMP11 uninstalled so you can then try installing WMP10 to see if the ZVM gets detected properly. If WMP10 doesn't do it, you can try WMP11. In that order.

Have you been able to verify the ZVM is in the Device Manager after you connect it to make sure the driver is loading for it properly? If it isn't, no software you install or uninstall will show the ZVM as connected. You have to get driver issues resolved before the device can be used. Check Device Manager for errors and see if the ZVM is listed (usually under Portable Devices). You mentioned earlier you hear an audable alert, so it should be listed.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 AM

I'M FINALLY BACK ROCKING ! ! ! !
i don't know alot about computers but with the help from zen chick & bobby you guys got me back on track!
it was a DEVICE MANAGER issue! ! !
i just didn't know how to check it for errors.
MANY THANKS TO YOU BOTH! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !