android
Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Tutorial: Converting video using MediaCoder

*GUIDE UPDATED 1-31-08. Important setting found missing and corrected, which would cause file format not supported message. Better guide coming up

I thought I would write this guide because there is always a lot of questions on how to get video working correctly on the NS-DV. This is for the NS-DV4G but should work on the other versions. It will show how to convert video files and/or dvd files to AVI for the player.

1. Install Mediacoder:

Go to http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/download.htm and download the latest full version. This is probably one of the best free programs which will convert from virtually any video/audio format to another. It is very customizable, convert from dvd direct, zoom and crop, subtitles, customize just about anything.

2. Setup the file(s) for encoding:

To add the files you are encoding, you can drag them right into the window. Or you can click on the 'Add' button up top and choose Add Files or Add Folder. To add a DVD click on Add Track. If the dvd is ripped to your hard drive browse for it using the second button (Disc Root/URL). You can even encode straight from the DVD. If it is in the DVD drive choose the drive letter. It should show all the tracks on the left side, choose the tracks you want and then the chapters and click Add and Close.

Important forgot to add this. Thanks to another forum member TheDreamDoc. You have to go to File > Settings. In the settings window expand OVERALL, then expand VIDEO OPTIONS. In VIDEO OPTIONS, there is one setting that says OVERRIDE FOURCC of OUTPUT STREAM. You must change that to "XVID", all capitals.

3. Encoding:

Now the files you are encoding should be on the list of files. On the bottom half of the screen click on the Audio tab. Change the encoder to LAME MP3. Change the Resample to anything you want but I usually leave it as Original so that it is same as the file. Channel should be Stereo. If you are doing a DVD, change the Audio ID to 128 which is usually the main DVD audio. On the right side of the screen you can change the LAME MP3 settings, don't go over 192kbps it probably wont work. Also I would recommend to leave it on CBR, VBR might cause some problems with navigating movies.

Click on the Video tab. Change the mode to Bitrate-Based. You can move the slider to whatever bitrate but I would recommend not going over 512Kbps which is clear enough for DVD's. Go lower to save space or if match your video's bitrate if it is low. Change the Format to MPEG4. Change the container to AVI. Leave the Source and Backend checked as auto-select. Click on the Muxer tab, check it on Auto-Select. Click on the Picture tab. Change Resize to 320x240. Change the crop, I would recommend choose Manual. A window comes up where you can crop the video. Usually choosing Auto-Crop at the top will crop it for you or you can choose Free-Cropping and do it yourself. You can close that. You don't have to change the Frame rate unless it is over 30fps then lower it to 30fps. Click Start button at top and that should be it. It should encode pretty fast depending on the file and how big it is. You can then connect your player in File/Folder mode and drag the video on to it. Videos came out pretty good without any navigation/sound problems for me. You can also go to Save Preset and save your preset for Insignia and load it up any time.

Any comments, additions or need help, please Reply.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 PM

hi, I tried this exactly as you said. the video would not work in the ns. when I would try to put it on, it would tell me it was not comaptible. i did it in file mode and it went to the player but then would not open. this worked for you? how is it possible it did not for me? insignia is using mpeg 4 but what type then? how can it work for some but not others. confused... doc

Old 01-31-2008, 08:41 AM

Hi there Mediacoder released a new version lately so I will have to update this tutorial but everything should be almost the same. It could be many things that could not make your video work. The video that you got converted if you load it up in Mediacoder and click on it what does it say on the right side: is it 320x240, video XVID, Audio MP3 and the sample rate? Does the converted video play on your computer?

There is one important thing i forgot to add which may be why you are getting the format not supported. You have to go to File > Settings. In the settings window expand OVERALL, then expand VIDEO OPTIONS. In VIDEO OPTIONS, there is one thing that says OVERRIDE FOURCC of OUTPUT STREAM. You must change that to "XVID", all capitals. Now try converting the video again and it should play.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Hey! now we're getting somewhere. I can confirm this works with the corrected settings. many thanks to Daking. great tutorial for a great free program. this allows you also to get full screen from you 16x9 video by using the manual crop option (of course you lose a bit of picture). this transcoder is fast, free, versatile and most importantly it works. a superior alternative to the limited, slow arcsoft prog. I'm a great believer in personal choice in all asptects of life. Now insignia owners have one thanks again Daking!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Hello. I am getting an error and a failed to output message. Please help!!!
Also the prgram freezes when I click on dvd track number.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantGnome View Post
Hello. I am getting an error and a failed to output message. Please help!!!
Also the prgram freezes when I click on dvd track number.
Hi there, from what type of file are you converting in to what type of file? Are you converting a DVD into an AVI file? What version of the program do you have installed?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Samsung Moderator

Decent guide. I'm making a link to it in Tobey's "NS-DV Directory" sticky.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Cool Problem....

Hey I downloaded MediaCoder 0.6.1.4077 and I'm getting a no file output... it wants to create it and then it's just kicks out an error and then nothing. I'm converting .MP4's so it should be no problem... but apparently it is... any ideas?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Im getting the same thing as Hatcher.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 AM

Download the Update to 0.61.93 or newer there was a problem with mpeg4 for a few versions in between 0.61.48-0.61.85 I think..Click on support in the program and check for update..

Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 PM

Default Woo Hoo!

Yeah this worked absolutely perfectly, no audio sync issues, I can scroll back and forth throughout without worrying it will throw the audio off the picture, it fits the screen perfectly, and I converted a 2 hour movie in 30 minutes. No leaving shit over night to convert, this is exactly what I've been looking for FOR MONTHS! Thanks so much.

Matt

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM

Default Help

Ive downloaded Media Coder 0.6.1.4026 and im trying to convert a movie saved on my computer to a different format, something like Mp4 that will work on my 4th gen. ipod nano. it shows me "no file is outputted"

HELP PLZ