android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia NS-DV

Old 04-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Wink Digitaldel is my hero!

BOOKMARK heaven!
Anyone notice faster boot times with a very fast shut down?
Sweet'n tasty FW upgrade.

Love the Matrix style icon layout.

Did I mention the ability to make real bookmarks?

Found a single post on a 4GB microSDHC working on 1.9, so this is way 8itching as is, but has anyone tried an 8GB card to see if this beta can really do the 8 gig jig?

Boot times would be nice, but just verification will help.

One more thing, did I confirm that bookmarking makes me giddy?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobs View Post
BOOKMARK heaven!

Found a single post on a 4GB microSDHC working on 1.9, so this is way 8itching as is, but has anyone tried an 8GB card to see if this beta can really do the 8 gig jig?

Amen! I've only has a little time to test drive 1.9 but so far I concur with nobs - boot and shut down are way faster and bookmarks really do work.

Mike

Old 04-19-2008, 05:11 PM

You should probably mention that you need to take out the microSD card before upgrading, or else it won't work.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith324 View Post
You should probably mention that you need to take out the microSD card before upgrading, or else it won't work.
Hmmm....I left mine in, didn't seem to cause any problems. I use that card to store movies on and they were still there after the upgrade.

Mike

Old 04-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:

with the new firmware update it can do microSDHC??????

Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Default microSDHC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutMaster View Post
with the new firmware update it can do microSDHC??????
http://www.dapreview.net/p/forum/for...opic.php?75026
Dam, just noticed mudd99 only has ONE post on the other forum!
Fri Apr 11 (2008) 12:07AM
Registered Member #9605
Quote:
mudd99
It looks like the 1.9 beta firmware has changed things where this is concerned. I'm using a 4GB micro SDHC card with my NS-DV4G and it's working fine.

Since mudd99 joined 9 months ago we can always hope
Still need to order a HC card to test.

Last edited by nobs; 04-19-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification on info source

Old 04-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
http://www.dapreview.net/p/forum/for...opic.php?75026
Dam, just noticed mudd99 only has ONE post on the other forum!
Fri Apr 11 (2008) 12:07AM
Registered Member #9605
Quote:
mudd99
It looks like the 1.9 beta firmware has changed things where this is concerned. I'm using a 4GB micro SDHC card with my NS-DV4G and it's working fine.

Since mudd99 joined 9 months ago we can always hope
Still need to order a HC card to test.
Re-Edit, Seems Digitaldel has an opinion (but due to user errors can't confirm)
replied to epithetless post:
epithetless Mon Apr 14 (2008) 07:26PM asked:
Quote/ Digitaldel wrote ...
Should be 10K internal/external./Quote

Wow. That's quite a boost! Thanks! ... and, since your not refuting it, I take it microSDHC support has now been implemented?

Digitaldel on Mon Apr 14 (2008) 07:27PM repied:
Correct, it gives this player quite a mid-life boost.

Digitaldel, you are my hero!
So 10K of file and microSDHC support, all I can say is thank you'$

Old 04-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Wow, that is nothing short of AMAZING!!! If someone does try this out please let us know how good it does work.

I'm glad I kept my NS-DV!

Mike

Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Okay, just so I don't waste $30 on Amazon...

I can go buy a 4gb microSDHC, slip into the the micro SD drive of NS-DV4G running F/W 1.9 and therefore boost this puppy to 8gb of storage... yes or no???

I was going to get a 2gb microSD, but if it'll work with 4gb microSDHC, I'll go buy that instead.

Way cool if it's true.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Insignia Moderator

Yes. Go for it Mr. Microphone.

BTW: You can get one at Newegg for $26 shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211196

Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 AM

Fantastic. I was giving up hope on my player and the scroll wheel acting strange after the player took a fall wasn't helping...

This is a great update. They could really use someone to double check the language though...a lot of this stuff is still in broken english.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 AM

I just got my NS-DV configured to show my "Lone Gunmen" wallpaper at boot-up! Thanks again Tobey for the tutorials!

Mike

Old 04-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Insignia Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntF View Post
They could really use someone to double check the language though...a lot of this stuff is still in broken english.
Please feel free to post any grammar errors you find. They tackled some of the big ones in earlier releases, but I know there are still a few left. The biggest one is a lot of the duration settings need to be pluralized. And "Please wait while erasing" should be "Erasing, please wait..." and "Build Library.." should be "Building library..." or even "Building library, please wait...".

Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 PM

Default 1.93 quick observations

Upgrade is easy, and works w/Vista just fine. One note is that bookmarks will not remember where you are if you're using the Genre trick to play MP3'd audio books. It will go back to "the" file playing, but then puts it in the list w/all other MP3's. Will have to try Playlists again.

Guess I will have to download the Pilot manual to see all the new features. 1.93 makes this player "new" again. Also the player erased itself (not needed prior). Had backup and all Audible, photos, videos work just like before.

Great job Insignia!!.Now anyone know of an anythingbutMIO for GPS forums?

Mongo

Quote:
BOOKMARK heaven!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Mongo, playlisting on audio books is a must, IMHO.

Depending on your Media Player, sublevel playlisting makes MTP really shine.

Under mass storage (File & Folder) and the limited, but much faster m3u playlist, single level playlist is why MSC is does not work for my uses, YMMV.
With MTP and a robust Media Player, Artist/Book Series/book # Title.file will make the ID3 hooked MTP sync worth the extra time.

About the "player erased itself (not needed prior)", are you sure? In order to do the Font update the player will have a popup requiring an erase memory warning on the last 3 FW's. The 4th FW is the orriginal factory and good ridance

The popup is right after the 1st half of the FW with a warning to backup all files on the player.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Faster shutdown times. Vastly improved menus. Total awesomeness all around. Thanks for posting the link and the simple and helpful instructions! I love this forum.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Upgrade is easy, and works w/Vista just fine.
Glad you got it to upgrade with Vista, it wouldn't work for me. I had to go to XP to get it to upgrade. It would hang at the USB polling on the splash screen.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Default new gui problems

theres still a few quirks in the firmware that need fixing, i think

in 1.200, when you use media library and go to tracks, you know how you can click right and play that file while adding all other tracks to the playlist?

well, with the new GUI, left and right switch the categories (track, artist, etc) and i found out you have to press down. which is fine, just needs some getting used to, but the problem is if the player is in any shuffle mode (shuffle, shuffle repeat all) the song selected when you press down is not the first song played. it just jumps to a shuffled song.

its an annoyance cuz in order to play all songs, you can't just press a button to play all starting from a song of choice. also, the down button seems kinda illogical to use as a selection key.

maybe in the next firmware, clicking play would play the song, while adding all other tracks? and maybe holding down play would pop up the menu with the other options (play, add now, add all now, etc)

dunno, anyone else find this a problem?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Insignia Moderator

You seem to be echoing what I wrote about the GUI in our review of the Pilot. The down button is indeed illogical. Every MP3 player, (or an electronic device with a GUI for that matter) I've used, uses the 'right' button to go forward/deeper into something.

I agree the play button should be turned into a select button, rather than popping up that play menu. Especially if they want to keep using the 'left'/'right' buttons to switch between tabs (a design they just need to scrap, IMO).

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Default 1.93 playlists

Nobs, yes the player erased itself when installing 1.93. I did erase some audio books to make sure I had about 2gigs (of 4) free before starting. And it did do a reboot to do the font section. I frankly expected it would and had backed up all my files beforehand.

Playlists are good if you can bookmark mid-way through, which is what I want to try next, now that bookmarks have arrived. I listen mostly to audiobooks while driving to and from work (2 hrs /day). So w/the genre trick can simply turn off the player, and then resume when turning on again. Downside is without bookmarking you can't listen to music or anything else w/out losing your place. W/out bookmarks the playlist is now better than the genre system (created w/Media Monkey).

What I would love, but can't find, is an MP3 to AA audible converter. It has 1 big condensed file, and when you stop it automatically bookmarks w/a file.

Mongo

Quote:
Mongo, playlisting on audio books is a must, IMHO.

Depending on your Media Player, sublevel playlisting makes MTP really shine.

Under mass storage (File & Folder) and the limited, but much faster m3u playlist, single level playlist is why MSC is does not work for my uses, YMMV.
With MTP and a robust Media Player, Artist/Book Series/book # Title.file will make the ID3 hooked MTP sync worth the extra time.

About the "player erased itself (not needed prior)", are you sure? In order to do the Font update the player will have a popup requiring an erase memory warning on the last 3 FW's. The 4th FW is the orriginal factory and good ridance

The popup is right after the 1st half of the FW with a warning to backup all files on the player.