android
Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Well they are both in FAT32. When I put either one into the zvm I get a harddrive error, which I never got before I formated on the pc. It used to say it was formating but it never would. Somehow the drives both have the 1.40 firmware on them even after I format on the pc and one of them never had it on there. Is there anyway to put the firmware on the drive from the pc? Other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That is because the Firmware is stored on a separate partition than from the rest of the drive. So when you format the drive, it doesn't format the partition with the Firmware on it and only does the volume set aside for the data.

Connect the drive to the computer and open up Computer Management. Go to Disk Management and delete all Volumes (partitions) on the drive. Create a new Volumes (only 1), but do not format them. Remove the drive from the computer and insert it into the ZVM. Then try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a format of the drive. If the ZVM doesn't see the disk, connect it back to the computer and open up My Computer and right click on the Drive and do a format (Fat32) and try it again in the ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM

Still no luck, keep getting a hard disk error on the zvm when doing a format or a remove firmware option. and on the clean up it says its doing a scan disk but nothing ever happens. (waited about 45min). Is there anyway to put the firmware on the drive via my pc or do i have to have the drive hooked up to the zvm? Don't know if that will get me anywhere but I'm willing to give about anything a shot.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I need some more information.... So, you are able to do what I listed above up until you go to format it in the ZVM? Which time? How does the ZVM react without a hard drive in? It should just boot into Recovery Mode (with recovery mode working).

The computer is really the only way to put the firmware on (with the drive in the ZVM); by connecting the ZVM to the computer, having its driver load so the software can detect it, then either using Creative's Recovery Tool or by executing the new .exe firmware file.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 PM

Sorry, yeah i was able to get everything up until the drive is in the ZVM. The ZVM does the same things when there is no drive. Which oddly enough once you said how it does without the drive I went to remove it and the piece on the main board that connects to the ribbon actually popped right off. I have a feeling this may have been the problem all along. Don't really know if there is a way to fix this. It looks like on the board there are 2 small holes on opposite corners and on the piece that came off there are 2 small pegs that match up to them perfect. Only prob is, is that it won't stay on the board tight. I think there may have been some glue holding it on that must have given out. I have some super glue that could hold it but I'll hold off to see what you think.

Thanks for the help

Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Which oddly enough once you said how it does without the drive I went to remove it and the piece on the main board that connects to the ribbon actually popped right off. I have a feeling this may have been the problem all along.
Just to be clear, was this the first time opening the ZVM up in this process? You were opening the ZVM up before and removing the drive for testing like discussed before? Can you post a picture? The hard drive connector is removable or are you talking about the male part of the connector on the board that the female part of the connector on the ribbon connects too? The question is which connector do you have; pins or ZIF. Check out this thread for pictures and descriptions. Maybe it was loose when you re-assembled and tried to see if your the changes you had done with the drive had helped. Can you reconnect it all and try again?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 PM

I have removed and replaced the drive prob 10-15 times now. (Sorry no pics yet, the only cam I have looks terrible if I dont have sunlight.) I have a pins connector and from what I can tell it seems to be in good condition. The part that came off was the male connector on the board I think I can get the piece lined up on the board, but it doesn't stay on there. Don't know if I should go with a little dab of super glue to get it to stay. With all the probs I've been having I have a really bad feeling that the ZVM is just done for. I'm not gonna give up quite yet just don't have a good feeling.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Pictures would definitely help. I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what happened.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM

Default me too

Wow, I am having the same problem, except I have not gone as far troubleshooting. My ZVM30 boots directly to recovery mode but nothing happens when I try to scan disk or format...

I have not yet tried to reload the firmware or open it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaricL7 View Post
Let me give a bit of a background. I turned on my ZVM30 today and it booted directly to Recovery Mode. I rebooted first and it went back to recovery. I ran the clean up and it says scan disk and just sits there. I can still scroll while its doing this. Either way i let it go for prob 10-15min and still the same thing. I reset and tried the format. Did the same thing, except I can't scroll while its doing this. Gave it another 10-15 and reset.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The part that came off was the male connector on the board I think I can get the piece lined up on the board, but it doesn't stay on there. Don't know if I should go with a little dab of super glue to get it to stay.
I believe you are referring to the interface connector on the PCB (printed circuit board). If so, most likely this connector should have been soldered (by solder tabs) to the PCB to help hold in place and for strain relief for the SMT tails. If this connector is not correctly connected to the PCB, then you won't be able to transmit through the interface; it basically won't see the hard drive anymore. Unless you know how to solder and work with surface mount technology, you are most likely looking at a mainboard replacement.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Thats what I was afraid of. I don't really have any idea about that kind of stuff, but I'm sure I can get someone at work who can give it a shot. They can't really break it any more than it already is.

Thanks again to all for the assistance, I'll let you know if I'm lucky enough to repair it.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:35 AM

I just went through this same thing. I had dropped it about three days ago, but it still was performing swimmingly (thanks to some rubbery skin I bought from somewhere). Yesterday I was walking to work, listening to my tunes. When I got to work, I powered off my player, and sat it on my desk. When I got back to it, a little bit later, the screen was still saying "Shutting down... "

I couldn't get it to turn off. I stuck a pin in the reset hole, and it started coming up, but really slow. It sat there most of the day. Then it was out of juice, and was done.

I came home and plugged in my AC wall adapter, and it started charging. It eventually was charged, and when I looked it was in "Recovery Mode".

I started with "Clean Up" Took forever!! (started scan disk then cleaning).

Nothing

Then I decided to give it a new firmware. From recovery, I deleted the Firmware. Then I had to get it to say "Docked" in the screen, when I plugged in my USB. Once it did I kicked off the MP3 Recovery tool application from creative.com.

Took forever!!

At one point the Docked message went away, and it just sat there. But the updater still was waiting to complete.

I unplugged the player, and the application updater said "Player rebooting... please wait." I plugged it back in, and hit the "reset" hole again.

When the player came back up, everything is quick and responsive (maybe a little faster now). All my music is there.

EDIT: I was't getting a harddisk error

Last edited by z-vap; 05-17-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added info

Old 05-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thats what I was afraid of. I don't really have any idea about that kind of stuff, but I'm sure I can get someone at work who can give it a shot. They can't really break it any more than it already is.

Thanks again to all for the assistance, I'll let you know if I'm lucky enough to repair it.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-vap View Post
When the player came back up, everything is quick and responsive (maybe a little faster now). All my music is there.
Wow. You really went through a battle. Good to hear you got it all back ok. Thanks for posting.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Default troubleshooting

As I mentioned earlier, I'm having similar issue. Slow to boot up. Recovery mode, but the clean up and format don't appear to be working. I tried the "reset" pin hole 2 times.

My recovery mode displays v0.0.16. Is this the right order of steps?

1. Try the Zen recovery mode 'upgrade firmware' option while docked (and give it time).
2. Manually upgrade the firmware.
3. Remove drive, buy an enclosure, and reformat the drive, install the firmware, and then put the drive back in the zen.

Thanks for any advice.
R

Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Roboticpaperclip: Have you read/tried to suggestions and possible solutions through-out this thread?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Default yep

BobbyRS,

Yes, I've read the thread. Can't say I understood it all. Seems like BaricL7 went further (before posting) than I have, and I wasn't sure about the order things were done. Because my ZEN hangs when "scanning" or "formatting" and I've interrupted them, I thought maybe I'd be doing more damage.

I am to the point where I must erase and re-install the firmware. If that fails, I guess I need to carefully make sure the hard drive is connected. If it is connected, I should carefully disconnect it, get an enclosure, and format it (through the pc).

I read, but don't completely understand that the firmware is installed on a separate partition?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So, your ZVM takes a bit to boot and only goes into Recovery Mode correct? Does the hard drive make any noises or can you feel it spinning? How long do you let it run during a cleanup or format from Recovery Mode? You can try reloading the firmware, but if you do have a bad hard drive, it won't load. Before using the Recovery Mode Reload Firmware option, try downloading the correct firmware version for Creative’s site for your ZVM (30gb or 60gb?) and verify that you have a good connection by verifying that the ZVM is loading correctly in Device Manager for its driver. Once you have verified you do have a good connection with your ZVM and have downloaded the latest firmware for it, execute the new firmware you downloaded to have it reload onto the ZVM. Let us know what happens.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 PM

Default progress!

I followed the dialog to erase the firmware, and after ~10 mins of "Erasing firmware...." my zen reported "hard disk problem" or "hard disk error". I did it again and it seemed to have worked. But now I have docked it, and it will not respond. I cannot through the recovery mode select the "reinstall firmware" option.

BobbyRS: I re-read your firmware partition post and instructions and its making more sense. Hopefully it won't come to that....

Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, so it is acting like it doesn't see the hard drive at all. Have you opened it up and verified that the drive connector is not loose?

Zen FAQ