android
Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM

My Zen is a 30 Gb and its served me exceedingly well for 1.5 years. I downloaded the creative auto firmware upgrade but there is a docking issue.
Zen boots to recovery mode. When connected to pc it shows a "Docked" indicator in its lower screen, but the zen controls are unresponsive.

The PC recognized that the "portable device" was docked, but the Creative media explorer says "Your player is not connected. Please connect...". Also, trying to view files through explorer, shows Name: storage media, Type: generic hierarchical, Total Size: 50 MB, Free Space: 50 MB.

I have not opened it up. I wonder if I should format the the Storage media?

Oh yes, no strange sounds or vibrations from the HD that I can detect.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-20-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah the ZVM being seen as a 50MB device is pretty typical when there is a hard drive failure, corrupt file system, or even no firmware installed. I believe the 50mb space is being seen because Recovery Mode, which is stored in the flash ROM and not the hard drive, is programmed to set aside or see this allocated space for the firmware.

The software may not be detecting it because the drive/file system is not detected or set for the use of the ZVM database partition. Just to verify, check Device Manager and see how the driver for the ZVM is listed.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-25-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Device manager recognizes the Creative Zen Vision:M and reports "The device is working properly." The driver version is 5.2.5326.4762.

So does this mean the next step is surgery?!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You got it. Start by opening it up, disconnecting the drive, reconnecting the drive, putting it all back together, and starting it back up to see if it boots up seeing the drive. If it doesn't, I would then say you need a new hard drive.

Video
Guide

Zen FAQ

Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks for your assistance!!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good luck and report back when you can.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 AM

Default Unbelievable!!!!

I took my zen out of its rubber protective jacket (getting ready to open it). I accidentally knocked it off of my desk. I picked it up and turned it on and it started to NORMAL mode! I just docked it and its working fine!!!

I am using the media explorer tools to clean up and remove temp files. Any other recommended maintenance?? I will search other threads....

This is GREAT!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great! Sometimes, with hard drives, the heads stick to the platter causing the drive to lock up during shutdown, so a drop or a slight hit can sometimes set them free. Obvious this isn't something recommended unless it is a last resort (or accident) and you have basically come to the conclusion the drive needs replaced. Hitting or dropping it can very easily cause permanent damage as well.

Just in case, it would be a good time to make sure you have all your files backed up on the computer (if you haven't already).

Zen FAQ

Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Default help! having the exact same issue

I really hope this thread is still active as it has been most helpful. So, in short, I'm having the exact same issue as Baric. The zvm only loads to recovery mode and all options give me a generic "disk error" message.

I've purchased the replacement drive and enclosure and all seems to be fine with it when plugged into the computer. Though, its still not being recognized by zvm and still gives me the disk error message. I've gotten up to the point in the quote below and have no idea what else I should try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
That is because the Firmware is stored on a separate partition than from the rest of the drive. So when you format the drive, it doesn't format the partition with the Firmware on it and only does the volume set aside for the data.

Connect the drive to the computer and open up Computer Management. Go to Disk Management and delete all Volumes (partitions) on the drive. Create a new Volumes (only 1), but do not format them. Remove the drive from the computer and insert it into the ZVM. Then try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a format of the drive. If the ZVM doesn't see the disk, connect it back to the computer and open up My Computer and right click on the Drive and do a format (Fat32) and try it again in the ZVM.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Though, its still not being recognized by zvm and still gives me the disk error message.
So, if you put the new drive into the ZVM, boot into Recovery Mode, and then select a Format, you get an error message?

What hard drive are you using? How are you formatting the hard drive when connected to the computer? Are you formatting to FAT32? What Operating System are you using? Be careful you are not formatting the hard drive to NTFS instead of FAT32 when formatting using Windows.

Zen FAQ