android
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 AM

Default Won't mount on the computer

I have searched the forum extensively and still cannot resolve my 30G Zen Vision M problem. To summarise:
  • Plug into Vista or XP Pro charges but:
  • No response from Computer
  • Nothing at all in Device manager.
  • Have tried reseting and reformatting
  • Device worked fine up until getting new computers
  • Media Player 11 installed
  • Updates installed
  • Phoned a friend LOL!
Seriously bugging me now! ALL help appreciated!

Cheers,

Tony...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtanga View Post
  • Plug into Vista or XP Pro charges but:
  • No response from Computer
  • Nothing at all in Device manager.
  • Have tried reseting and reformatting
  • Device worked fine up until getting new computers
  • Media Player 11 installed
  • Updates installed
  • Phoned a friend LOL!
So "No response from Computer" means that there is neither audible alert when inserted nor an indication of Windows recognizing the device? Just wanted to be clear on that.

Are you using a USB hub or not connecting the ZVM to a USB port on the back of the computer? So, it is having this issue on both XP and Vista computers? Do other USB devices work on the USB ports you are plugging the ZVM into? Where exactly are you looking in Device Manager? Do you have the Creative Software installed?<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 04-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Ordinary USB Port
Issue on both OS
Creative Software installed
Looked throughout Device Manager no new usb devices or anything to do with MTU.

Cheers,

Tony...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtanga View Post
Ordinary USB Port
Issue on both OS
Creative Software installed
Looked throughout Device Manager no new usb devices or anything to do with MTU.
Ordinary USB port meaning the ports in the back of the computer?

Two different computers or one computer dual booting, upgraded??? Do you have access to a second computer to try and see if Windows recognizes a device when inserted?<O</O
<O</O

Uninstall all Creative Software. It is not needed in order for the ZVM to work. Many times it causes more issues than anything. Especially in Vista, do not use.

Nothing listed as or under "Portable Devices"? <O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Ordinary USB port meaning the ports in the back of the computer? - Yes

Two different computers or one computer dual booting, upgraded??? Do you have access to a second computer to try and see if Windows recognizes a device when inserted?<O</O
<O</O - Two Computers, same symptoms on each

Uninstall all Creative Software. It is not needed in order for the ZVM to work. Many times it causes more issues than anything. Especially in Vista, do not use. - tried that still no luck

Nothing listed as or under "Portable Devices"? <O</O - nope nothing at all
Please see answers above - I have even formatted my hard drive and installed a fresh install of XP. Still nothing happening...

Old 04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Specifics are needed when answering my questions. If you can't answer the questions accurately, then I won't be able to help you that well. Your answers effect the troubleshooting process and help determine what is wrong or what solution to try next.

Are you referring to the USB ports on the back of the computer?

Are you referring to one computer running two OS's or two different computers?

No listing for (MTP) "Portable Devices" or for the Creative Zen Vision:M at all in Device Manager?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 AM

I don't understand??? I have answered your questions definitively - see below. What other info do you require.

Originally Posted by BobbyRS
Ordinary USB port meaning the ports in the back of the computer? - Yes

Two different computers or one computer dual booting, upgraded??? Do you have access to a second computer to try and see if Windows recognizes a device when inserted?
- Two Computers, same symptoms on each

Uninstall all Creative Software. It is not needed in order for the ZVM to work. Many times it causes more issues than anything. Especially in Vista, do not use. - tried that still no luck
Nothing listed as or under "Portable Devices"? - nope nothing at all

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Let's move on....

You may already have done this, I just want to make sure it is listed in case....Make sure the ZVM is plugged into the computer when looking in Device Manager.

Now, do you have a listing under Services (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services) towards the bottom as:

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

If you do, is it running and set to Automatic?

The problem here is that you mention you got 2 new computers as of which the ZVM worked fine up until, but.... the ZVM is not even being detected by Windows (XP or Vista) on either computer upon inserting it into the USB ports on either computer. Can you try different cable for connection or perhaps a different dongle?

Also, on the XP computer you can try uninstalling WMP11 and having it rollback to a previously installed version. If the previously installed version is not WMP10, then install WMP10.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Hi, I checked and that service was neither running nor set to Automatic.

Bad news is its not made any difference having changed and re-booted.

Tony...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Still no detection at all by Windows? That service gets installed by WMP. Was it disabed on both the XP and Vista computers? It should be set to automatic by default. Windows will not install the driver correctly if this service is disabled. It needs to be running at all times and set to Automatic. How about that cable or dongle or even rolling back WMP11 on the XP system?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM

I haven't another cable to hand. Will see if I can borrow a friends. Might take a while to pin him down though. If you haven't already maybe you could subscribe to this thread and I'll get back to you. In the meantime thanks for your help to date!

Tony...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sure thing. Let me know....

Zen FAQ

Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 AM

I have the same problem. I have a 60gb version and i have tried it on different computers, with different version's of windows and different cables. I also tried plugging in the mains cable first to charge it and then plug in the usb too. Still don't pick it up. When you plug in the usb on its own the battery icon on the zen changes to the battery and plug icon as if i had a mains cable plugged in.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz25 View Post
I have the same problem. I have a 60gb version and i have tried it on different computers, with different version's of windows and different cables. I also tried plugging in the mains cable first to charge it and then plug in the usb too. Still don't pick it up. When you plug in the usb on its own the battery icon on the zen changes to the battery and plug icon as if i had a mains cable plugged in.
You've checked device manager to see if the driver is loading or not? No indication from Windows (no audable alert) when inserting into USB port? Does the battery charge or hold a charge?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM

When it charges it displays the lightning symbol over the battery. Onces its charges it displays the mains symbol. Drivers are fine. I also have another 30gb zen and it works fine. This leads me to think its the zen and not a pc or software issue.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, so you are further along then ashtanga. So if your ZVM comes on, charges, and loads fine in Device Manager, what's the problem you are having? Transferring? Detection in certain software? Does WMP see both ZVM's?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 AM

I never said it loaded fine in device manager. I said i have the same problem with ashtanga when i say drivers are fine i mean installed fine. Windows does not pick it up and zen says nothing about docking etc...

ok put simply. My 60gb zen has the problem with nothing picking it up my 30gb version works fine. So there must be something wrong with the 60gb version right?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I never said it loaded fine in device manager. I said i have the same problem with ashtanga when i say drivers are fine i mean installed fine. Windows does not pick it up and zen says nothing about docking etc..
Ok. Usually when someone says "Drivers are fine", it indicates they do not have problems with them loading, like in Device Manager.

Does the 60GB ZVM have any problems on the player specificly? Have you already reloaded the firmware and ran a Disk Cleanup?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM

To reload firmware i require a usb connection which i aint got at the moment hence the problem. I purchased the player off ebay. When i recieved the player it would not switch on or charge with usb. I put the main charger in and it booted up untill i got a glimpse of the wallpaper. Then it would restart. I then tried the usb again but it still won't charge off it. Put the mians back in and I put the player in recovery mode, tried a cleanup and the player couldn't even get to 1%. I was worried the hdd drive had gone as i heard clicking from the drive. I pulled the mains charger out and the zen stayed on. So i restarted it. The zen finally came on without the mains plugged in but was low on battery. Also the hdd stopped clicking. I then booted with mains plugged in and the zen booted fine. I left it charging for a good 5 hours. Zen works perfect and even charges off usb. Only problem is as i say, pc don't detect it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, good to know the backstory. It sounds like you battled through the issues with the ZVM (really low battery power), although you may either have the beginings of a bad (clicking) drive or it's severlely defragmented, or many bad sectors on it. Now that you have a good charge, can you do a reformat or disk cleanup? Also, now that it powers on and stays on, when you say the PC doesn't detect it, is the PC giving you any kind of audable alert when inserted?

Quote:
I said i have the same problem with ashtanga when i say drivers are fine i mean installed fine. Windows does not pick it up and zen says nothing about docking etc...
Installed fine.... do you have the Creative Software installed? What version of WMP do you have installed?

Zen FAQ