android
Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With ZVM off and computer on, plug it into the computer. Does it automatically turn on?

Edit: sorry

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
With ZVM off and computer on, plug it into the computer. Does it automatically turn on?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Didn't quite get the last bit LOL. However, yes lights up and charges but nothing more.

ta!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, back to that in a minute. Now, disconnect. Turn it on (how's the battery level?). Plug it into the computer. Since there is nothing in the Device Manager or no indication of anything being detected by Windows, open the Control Panel. Go to Add Hardware option. Tell it to do a "search for and install the hardware automatically" and click next. Does it detect anything new on your computer?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 AM

...no, nothing new detected.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtanga View Post
...yep tried that and yep tried that too Zen Chick!

Nothing happens in Device Manager when I plug the Zen in, nothing to dig any deeper into.

Tony...
Okay, so the computer isn't seeing the player - at all! Have you tried a different USB cable?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM

...yep, two different cables including my own thaet works with a friends Zen.

Ta,

Tony...

Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, getting tougher: Different dongle?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Okay, getting tougher: Different dongle?
Well I have tried two usb cables (no dongle) that go straight from the USB Port to the Zen AND a different Dongle...

Tougher is right LOL!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtanga View Post
...no, nothing new detected.
Tony: Ok. Do you feel and hear the hard drive spinning when you turn it on? Have you had a chance to open it and take a look to see if the hard drive needs reseated.

ZC: Since I don't have a ZVM, how well does it take to booting or being recognized if turned on and not have a hard drive connected or removed? I know it can boot and be recognized in Recovery Mode, but does the ROM chip's BIOS require the presence of a working drive to be in order to boot or be recognized correctly by the OS to load drivers for it; even without firmware loaded on the drive?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Tony: Ok. Do you feel and hear the hard drive spinning when you turn it on? Have you had a chance to open it and take a look to see if the hard drive needs reseated.

ZC: Since I don't have a ZVM, how well does it take to booting or being recognized if turned on and not have a hard drive connected or removed? I know it can boot and be recognized in Recovery Mode, but does the ROM chip's BIOS require the presence of a working drive to be in order to boot or be recognized correctly by the OS to load drivers for it; even without firmware loaded on the drive?
...oooer! Never open one up. Are there any resources I can use to get more info?

Ta!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup:

Video
Walkthrough

Zen FAQ

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The ZVM's bootloader and Recovery Mode software are stored on a ROM on the player. The ZVM will boot straight into Recovery Mode if the hard drive is not present or detected. The player should also be dockable, though you're not going to be able to accomplish much without the hard drive.

Ashtanga: Have you tried a different computer? Do you have access to a different computer running Vista?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
The ZVM's bootloader and Recovery Mode software are stored on a ROM on the player. The ZVM will boot straight into Recovery Mode if the hard drive is not present or detected. The player should also be dockable, though you're not going to be able to accomplish much without the hard drive.

Ashtanga: Have you tried a different computer? Do you have access to a different computer running Vista?
Ok, thanks, but to be clear, if you removed the hard drive, booted the ZVM, connected it to the computer, does the OS detect it enough to load the drivers? I am just wondering if a working (or at least a detectable drive based on a functioning drive controller) drive needs to be connected to the mainboard of the ZVM in order for the drivers and USB host controller to communicate successfully enough to load properly within the OS. Sorry if that is redundant.

Yes, his ZVM will not work on either of his computers (XP and Vista), which is partly why I'm focused on the ZVM having the problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 AM

ok quick update. I stripped the zen down and it looks like one of the pins got mashed up. Anyway a guy at work says that the zen vision and the ipod have the same connector, maybe different pin out but they are the same. Does anyone know which version of the ipod has this connector as i will get a broken one of ebay and take it off and put it on the zen. I would rather do it with the ipod as they are cheaper to get broken ones than zens.

Cheers

Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then again, a damaged data port pin can certainly cause problems... Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, but glad you got it figured out.

One suggestion: You might consider buying a broken or bricked ZVM off of ebay. You might be able to just swap motherboards and be done with it, or, if the motherboard is no good, you've got a perfectly compatible connector to cannibalize.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear you found your issue gaz25! I agree with ZC. Going with a direct replacement of the ZVM connector would be best. Different pin-outs and possible power issues you'll face with the IPod's connector, why introduce more variables to your problem. EBay has plenty of "as is" ZVM's (I even seen a motherboard on there too, but it was for the 30GB version).

Zen FAQ

Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A 30GB is what he has... I think...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think gaz has both, but the 60GB is the problem child (if I'm not mistaken...... but I am pretty tired right now).

Edit: Yeah.... gaz has a 60GB that is having issues and ashtanga has the 30GB with issues. (at least from reading their posts again).

Zen FAQ

Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 AM

...still not got round to stripping my Zen, will get back to you guys when I have.

Cheers,

Tony...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 AM

The reason i wanted to go for an ipod one is becuase its cheaper. They are exactly the same connectors. Over here in the uk the zen's on ebay are not cheap. I just watched one with a broken LCD go for 45 which i reckon is about $80. An ipod i can get for about 10 - 15 ($20 - $30).

I just need to know which ipod model has the connector.

The zen and ipod have different pins outs when on the boards but unsolder them and put them next to each other and they should be the same.... i'm told.