android
Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you really want to use the Creative Software, I believe this is the Media Explorer patch that is needed in order to get it working right when WMP11 is installed:

ZNV_PCPatch_LB.exe

From Creative's site:

Quote:
This update resolves compatibility issues between Creative Media Explorer or Creative MediaSource™ Player/Organizer, and Windows Media® Player 11 (WMP11). For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

You must already have ZEN™ V Media Explorer version 5.40.10 or later, or ZEN V Series Media Explorer version 5.41.01 or later installed on your computer to perform this update successfully. To check your current version of this application, see Notes below.
This update may not fully support pre-release versions of WMP11.
Fixes:
  • Transfers album art and picture thumbnails correctly to your player.
Requirements:
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP (Service Pack 1 or higher) or Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
  • ZEN V Media Explorer version 5.40.10 or later, or ZEN V Series Media Explorer version 5.41.01 or later installed.
Notes:
  • To check your application's version number,
    1. Double-click the ZEN V Media Explorer or ZEN V Series Media Explorer icon on the desktop.
    2. On the Menu bar, click Help and select About ZEN V Media Explorer or About ZEN V Series Media Explorer. The version number is displayed in the dialog box that appears.
    3. Click the OK button to close the dialog box.
  • To install this software package,
    1. Download the ZNV_PCPatch_LB.exe file into your local hard disk.
    2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the instructions on the screen.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM

hhhmmm thanks guys... I have downloaded the Creative patch but I am still having the same issue... Can I just give up and conclude that WMP11 and Creative Media Explorer are not a perfect match?? Any more ideas or I need to downgrade to WMP10 as a last resort??

Old 06-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can use WMP instead of the Creative software if you like. Uninstall all of Creative's software. Uninstall WMP11. Open WMP10 and see if it recognizes the Zen. If it does you could either use WMP for now on (or WMP10 with Creative's software) or even try reinstalling WMP11 now since the Creative software is no longer installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM

Default Don't mean to hijack this thread ...

... especially on my first post, but ...

I just ordered a refurbed Zen V Plus, 4 gb. Reading this forum is making me a little nervous. I've had two MuVo TX FM's, a Zen Nano Plus, and an Iriver T-60. My three earlier Creatives acted like flash drives. I didn't have to install any software to get my PC to see them. I could easily transfer files using Total Commander (a twin pane file manager.) The Iriver T-60 basically let me do the same thing, although you had to power it up to transfer files.

Is this not going to be the case with the Zen V Plus? Am I going to need to install drivers or bloatware just to move .mp3s onto it?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABI c.coyle.

The Zen V's are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) devices. Meaning if you are using WinXP, you will need at least WMP10 (or better yet, WMP11) installed. Windows Vista has MTP support built in. MTP is a protocol used to help eliminate the need for any external driver needed by the manufacture for the device. Meaning, that if you are running an MTP compatible Operating System, you won't need any supplied driver in order to get it to work. If you are currently used to MSC (Mass Storage Class) devices, they are installed as another drive on the system and get a driver letter assigned to them. MTP devices are installed as Portable Devices attached to the computer and do not get drive letters assigned to them. Like an MSC device, an MTP device also supports drag-and-drop and file/folder support. However, it greatly depends on the device as to how well these features are utilized. The most popular way to transfer media onto an MTP device is by using a program (like WMP, MediaMonkey, etc.) to sync the media to the device, as to the file/folder drag-and-drop structure used on MCS devices. I suggest you read up on both technologies and the devices you are interested in to help determine which you prefer. There is a wealth of information here at ABI, so try out the search function and begin researching. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Thanks. Guess I gotta go with the flow. I hate having to install more software. I really hate WMP. Guess I'll check out Media Monkey. Or, maybe I can just find an MTP driver. I have XP Pro and XP Home.

If I were King, flash memory would equal USB stick, which would equal another drive as soon as I plug it in, which would equal tagging and moving files with a simple twin pane file manager. K.I.S.S.

God, I miss DOS. And batch files. And my VIC 20. And LIST.

c.coyle, Computing Dinosaur.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need the entire Windows Media Framework, not just the driver file. In order to get the Windows Media Network, WMP10 or WMP11 is needed. You don't have to use WMP after it is installed, but you do need it installed in order for MTP to work correctly.

With MTP, you can keep it simple and use drag-and-drop to transfer files. I do that and don't use any syncing software. It works great, however I am using the new Zen and Vista. MTP and MCS both have their advantages and disadvantages. What would be great is if ALL devices supported both.

Hey, I still use batch files all the time. I even still use some DOS utilities as well.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-04-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Zen V plus hardware problem

I've been stalking this site to see if anyone has had my problem, but so far no one has had it. I go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager but there's nothing that I can click on that says zen or creative or anything. it says something about my usb device

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

so when i try to update it a message pops up saying to type the path where the file is located. i have no clue what to do. any tips?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABI Marie. This error just means that the device does not have the driver installed. The Zen V is an MTP device so you need to make sure the Operating System you are using is MTP compliant. Make sure you have either WMP10 or WMP11 installed if using WinXP. If using Vista, the Zen V is natively supported, so if you have installed any Creative software, I would uninstall them. See this thread for more info.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Computer not recognising V Plus

Dear Sirs,

I have a V Plus using firmware 1.20.02e. My OS is XP SP2.

I bought another for a friend and downloaded some material onto it. When be plugged it into his computer it entered recovery mode. I have replaced his firmware with 1.32.01e. Now, when I plug it into my computer Creative Media Explorer does not start automatically. When I open it manually and try to add media I get the message 'the device is not connected or busy'. I seem unable to transfer any media from my computer to his Zen. I had the same problem on his computer.

I look forward to any assistance you can give!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABI horganj. I merged your post with the main "connection problem" thread. You may want to re-read the thread from the start now to get more information on your problem and how to resolve it. Check Device manager and to see how and if the driver for the Zen V is loading properly. What version of WMP do you have installed?

Pay close attention to these posts:

Post1
Post2
Post3
Post4

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Many thanks for this. I'm using WMP11, which I understand may be a problem.

Since my Zen Plus works fine on my computer, I'm loathe to start mucking around with settings for my friend's device. I would try some of these tricks on his computer (he's even more a novice than me so I can't expect him to try them). However, I'm up to the eyeballs with exams at the moment and then away on holiday. Consequently I've decided to send the player back to Amazon as not being of satisfactory quality. (Plug and play it ain't if you have to post messages on help forums and then tinker with the internals of your computer!) I'll then choose something else to buy for him.

Regards,

James.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
(Plug and play it ain't if you have to post messages on help forums and then tinker with the internals of your computer!)
No problem

That will mostly depend on the computer and OS used. Most of the time the issues are within the computer and not with the Zen. You can usually thank Microsoft and MTP (or lack of) in WinXP for that. Keep this in mind if you purchase another MTP based DAP for you may have similar issues.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by adikai View Post
I installed as you said and again plugged my usb but still i am getting error please see the image below. WHAT SHOULD I DO?.

i have service pack but still the problem persists? are there any drivers so that i can install manually?

i get this pop up message now. except it says "the device cannot start (code 10). i'm so close to it being fixed! any advice?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Error Code 10 usually means that some program, driver, or service is preventing the driver from loading properly.

See this thread.

I would also try booting into Recovery Mode and selecting a Cleanup from the menu. A corrupt database has also been known to cause this issue. If neither makes a difference, I have also seen where a format of the device has corrected it, but a Format will erase all files on the Zen, so keep that in mind.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Default My creative zen V is not detected by my computer

Hi,

I have been trying to make this work all day. When I plug my creative to the USB, it charges, however it is not detected by the computer. I cannot load/remove any songs from it. I tried a lot of things, cleanup, reset, uninstall/install software. also, I tried to add it as a new hardware (MTP device) and I get the following message saying there was an error installing the MTP device, "the specified service does not exist as an
installed device"

What should I do? Is there a problem with my mp3 player? should I format it??

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-29-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

First, read the thread from the beginning (all of it) and try all of the suggestions within it.

Second, you need to get the driver issue resolved. You said it is failing. Check Device Manager for the state of the driver.

Third, most likely it is a driver/MTP issue. So, focus on the computer for resolving the issue. If you have another computer to try, try it and see if you get a different result. What operating system are you using and what version of WMP is installed. If you have any Creative software, uninstall all of it before doing anything.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM

Default What works for me and my Zen V+

I'm running XP Pro with WMP 11 installed.

I use Total Commander for all my file manipulation requirements. It's a shareware twin pane file manager. Actually, it's free if you don't mind a nag screen. A great piece of programming.

You can download and install an MTP plugin for Total Commander called wmdmplug.wfx HERE. It allows Total Commander to see the Zen V+ as a device, and it's a breeze to tag and move multiple files back and forth. Zen V+ in the left pane, PC in the right. No need to install Creative software.

TC also has a sync feature, but I've never tried it. Plus, TC has 1001 other uses.

I've been using this simple setup on two machines for a month and it works like a champ.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I use Total Commander for all my file manipulation requirements.
Yeah, I've used it before. It was pretty nice, but most of the time I ended up doing the same thing with just using Windows Explorer, so I found myself using it less and less.

Quote:
No need to install Creative software.
No need to install any additional software, including Total Commander for that matter. Windows Explorer works just fine and no need to install any plug-ins.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yeah, I've used it before. It was pretty nice, but most of the time I ended up doing the same thing with just using Windows Explorer, so I found myself using it less and less.

No need to install any additional software, including Total Commander for that matter. Windows Explorer works just fine and no need to install any plug-ins.
Agreed. I just personally find Windows Explorer clunkier to use for almost every file operation.

I confess that I'm not a big fan of Microsoft or proprietary stuff in general. If I understand correctly, to use an MTP device with XP, I must have Windows Media Player - the whole thing - installed, not just a driver. Even if I never use WMP. Seems wasteful to me.

Oh well. One man's fish is another man's poisson.