android
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It isn't that you really "need" WMP in the sense of the software as a Media Player. What you need is the Windows Media Framework. Unfortunately, Microsoft has integrated the Framework within their Windows Media Player (10 or 11). Included in the Framework are the support for and the MTP driver for MTP devices.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Sorry if my english isnīt fine enough...Iīm spanish. I have the same problem and i tried all the things you have replied in this thread. The STMP3600 driver was required, i download the driver from the link someone said and it was recognized, but doesnt appear on My Pc as a volume...canīt execute the recovery, or the firmware, nothing, cause ALL this programs need to detect the Zen connected, and is not possible yet...somebody have another solution?? Thanks and sorry again if my english sucks

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zen V won't appear as a volume because it is not an MSC device, but an MTP device. It will be listed as a Portable Device under My Computer and under the category Portable Devices in Device Manager IF the driver is installing correctly. Make sure the driver is installing correctly and then try the firmware installation file or Recovery Tool from Creative.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Could you post a link where i can see the MTP .dll file, or the driver? I try to install the new found hardware as a "Portable Devices" but wizard canīt find any driver for the device...if i search manually in windows/inf it doesnīt work too...do you understand me?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What version of Windows are you running? What version of Windows Media Player is installed on your computer?

Old 07-04-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
What version of Windows are you running? What version of Windows Media Player is installed on your computer?
I tried in a XP sp2, XP sp3, Vista Home Premium, all with Windows Media Player 10, and tried with Media Player 11 too...

Old 07-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Vista comes with WMP11 and only WMP11.

Quote:
I tried in a XP sp2, XP sp3, Vista Home Premium, all with Windows Media Player 10, and tried with Media Player 11 too...
So, are you saying you've tried multiple computers? How is the driver loading (error or not) on all of them?

Quote:
Could you post a link where i can see the MTP .dll file, or the driver? I try to install the new found hardware as a "Portable Devices" but wizard canīt find any driver for the device...if i search manually in windows/inf it doesnīt work too...do you understand me?
Even if you got the INF driver file, if the MTP Framework isn't working correctly or not installed, the driver will not as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I did some research on this issue. STMP3600 is a SoC developed by Sigmatel and is used in a variety of players, including the Zen V-series. The fact that Windows is seeing the chip and not the player tells me that there is no hardware abstraction going on within the player; the player has basically become a "dumb" device. This indicates a complete firmware failure.

Can you still boot the player into Recovery Mode?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I've dealt with this problem before. I even posted the STMP3600 drivers somewhere around here before.....using the SMTP3600 drivers to get a driver to install enough for a new firmware load. However, I have also seen this when there is a bootstrap failure. So, the goal here is to determine which one; the one that is fixable on the computer end or the other which basically leaves your device bricked. Hopefully it is just that MTP is completely hosed and the OS is the dumb one here.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 PM

From a practical standpoint, meaning from the standpoint of schmos like me and most users who just want move music and podcasts from their computer to their player, and then listen, what exactly are the benefits of MTP over MSC?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
what exactly are the benefits of MTP over MSC?
Please see those discussions here and here and more information here:

What's the difference between an MTP and a MSC/UMS device? See here.
For more information on UMS/MSC.
For more information on MTP.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Please see those discussions here and here and more information here:

What's the difference between an MTP and a MSC/UMS device? See here.
For more information on UMS/MSC.
For more information on MTP.
I'd already read them.

Contrary to the impression I may have given, I love my Zen V Plus, it's working flawlessly, and MTP is fine with me. It's just that - given how I use a player and what I want out of it - I personally don't see any advantage. I realize that others are looking for different things and use their players differently.

Sorry. I don't want to start out here with a reputation for being a troll or a grump.

Chris

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I love my Zen V Plus, it's working flawlessly
That is what really matters.

Quote:
Sorry. I don't want to start out here with a reputation for being a troll or a grump.
It's no problem and the frustrations are completely understandable Chris. Enjoy the Zen V Plus!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 AM

Just bought a Zen player.

Did what the booklet said to do, including installing the software and upgrading to WMP10 (though I only managed finishing the installation AFTER plugging in the Zen). While my computer recognizes the player as a Creative Zen, and charges while in the USB port just fine, the Sync Manager and Creative Media Center (or whatever it's called), says that my player isn't connected? WMP10 also says the same thing.

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2. I was wondering if there's a way to get through this problem? I don't want to do internal tinkering as this isn't my computer (it belongs to my dad, my own PC runs on the modest Windows 2000). Any suggestions? I've read through this thread entirely and will consider taking up some of the solutions posted, but I'd like some personal feedback XD

Edit: I went to my device manager and says the device is working properly. I have a theory that because I only managed to get WMP10 to start working AFTER plugging the device in, it might need a refresh to get things all synced up?

Edit: First time buying a Zen and all that, but when you plug it into the USB port, does a 'docked' icon appear? According to the booklet, it's data transferring going on, but for charging? Uhmm, I'm confused.

Last edited by Memai; 07-27-2008 at 05:08 AM.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Memai. Welcome. Which Zen V do you have; Plus or non?

Give this thread a read and try what is listed within......Uninstall all of the Creative software until you get the connection issue resolved. Uninstall the driver from Device Manager. Upgrade to WMP11. Then try the connecting and verifying the driver and access to the Zen V.

When you plug the Zen in, it should show as Docked on the screen. It should also charge from the USB port as well, particularly if the driver is installing with no error.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Make sure the Windows Driver Foundation service is running and that you also have windows media player 10 or a newer version installed. For those of you who already did this and were not successful make sure you have the executable file called wudfhost.exe in c:\windows\system32, if you don't have it try getting it from your windows cd or a friend. That file seems to be the bridge between your mp3 player and your computer. Once you copy the file to the folder, open the device manager and uninstall the device, restart your computer and windows should install it right away. At least this worked for me, I mess a lot with my windows setup and sometimes I delete important files xD.

Good luck.

Edit: By the way I am running a fresh installation of windows xp sp3 with windows media player 11 included, I have also tried xp sp2 with windows media player 11 and both of the installations detect my player when I plug it in on the first run of windows.
If you want to know if you are running the necessary services to use the device, goto Start> Run> type in services.msc and press enter. Make sure the following services are started:

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
Windows Management Instrumentation
Plug and Play

All these services should always be running by default since they are important for the stability of your system with exception of the first one, but in this case they are all needed for installing your zen v player. To enable and start any of these services, double click on them, and in the small box that says Startup type select Automatic, click on Start, and finally click on OK to save changes. Repeat as necessary.

Hope anyone finds this information useful.

Last edited by Tlacuache; 08-03-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Addendum

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Tlacauche. Welcome to ABI. Thanks for the post.

Yes, MTP is based on this universal driver framework called User-Mode Driver Framework. All MTP devices use the same UMDF, so no extra driver is needed when it comes to managing your media device.

From post 16 from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Make sure you have this service running and set to Automatic in the Services:

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

It's located in:
Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services

Zen FAQ

Old 08-22-2008, 10:17 AM

hope you can help i bought 2 zen v plus for my daughters. Installed the creative sw on my laptop and set the first zen up fine.

A month later i try and set up the next one.
It has no life in it at all. so i plug it into the usb port get the de ding sound but it is not recognised by the computer.

I have tried to load smpt 3600 drivers as this is what the PC thinks the zen is
However in device manager it places the device in Player recovery device class and says an error occured in the instalation of this device a service installation section of this inf is invalid.

I have also tried the mtp driver copy to the desktop etc but when i try to force it to pickup the driver from there a message comes up saying that there is no info on my hardware in this area.

Will it help if i leave the zen charging overnight?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM

Talking

ah life has slowly returned to the zen after a few hours of charging

Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Hi, it sounds like I have similar problems... A couple of months ago I tried to charge my zen v plus 8gb before going overseas and instead of charging it kept turning itself on and playing even after I'd shut it down it would turn itself back on again. I didn't have time to deal with it, so when I got back I tried to work it out and it won't even turn on, the screen is just black. I called the creative labs and they said I could send it in and they would look at it for $220! Which is a wrought considering it doesn't cost that much to buy one new I have tried a couple of things I read on other threads and resetting it but to no avail. I want to try the recovery software I have downloaded from the creative site but it says my mp3 isn't connected - any suggestions on the big picture or how to get the software to recognise it?