android
Old 10-06-2008, 12:03 AM

device manager. I can't find the mtp driver

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You shouldn't really have to locate it and manually install it if MTP was installed and working properly (especially in Vista). Windows should take care of everything once you plug the Zen in. Since you are using Vista, you may be having additional software interfering with MTP working correctly. This is the main reason to not install any Creative software at all when running Vista. I would first make sure you have all of the Creative software uninstalled.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 AM

I tried to install the software on my work laptop and when i did it gives the same message and is listed as uknown device. That cpu's os is xp. I don't know what to do when i go to its properties it said that there are no drivers for installed.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What version of WMP is installed on that XP computer? It needs to be either WMP10 or WMP11 to have MTP installed.

Do you have another USB cable to test with?

Zen FAQ

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 AM

No i dont have another usb cable. I don't believe that the issue. also i 'm using wmp 11. When i try to assign it a driver it says that driver does not have the information needed for the device. I'm just about ready to send it off and get someone to fix it.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would try reinstalling WMP11 in case MTP compatibility is broke.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 AM

I think the problem is from overcurrent or voltage from a universal charger.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So, what would make you think that? Did you try something? If you did try a charger that was too much for the Zen V, you could have damaged the USB controller if too much voltage was applied to it (like when using a miss-wired USB port like one built into cases).

Zen FAQ

Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 AM

I tried a a universal charger, smelt smoke and pulled out I thought the smoke came from the charger end but i'm not sure. Is repairable if i messed the controller? Because it still charges the player.

I took my zen apart and found where a chip had burnt up. will creative fix for me and do happen to know howmuch labor is

Last edited by BobbyRS; 10-11-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah..... that's not good. Most likely you need a new mainboard to repair. If you had a warranty, it is most likely void now since you had opened it up. Creative can fix for you, most likely at a cost now. Another option is to find an as-is (maybe cracked screen) Zen V off of somewhere like EBay and do the mainboard swap yourself.

Zen FAQ