android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 04-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Default So, I bought a Zen today, it doesn't work.

I bought a Zen from target today, I installed the program on the CD, then plugged in the Zen. I cannot transfer files, or even access the device at all. What am I to do?

Here's what happens.

I plug in the Zen via one of the 6 USB ports on the computer.

I'll get

"Installing new hardware: Creative Zen"
It will complete or fail, then change to
"Installing new Hardware: MTP device and then invariably fail"

EDIT: It asks me to reinstall drivers, when I do that, nothing changes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Now the firmware's been erased, I hate technology.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 PM

Ouch. Maybe a defective unit? I bought my Zen last Sunday at Walmart and had zero problems when installing the software and hooking it up the first time to charge. Also upgraded it to the February 2008 firmware with no issues.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM

have you tried other usb ports? i found that i have a dead one when my pc wouldnt recognize my zen. the others all work fine though

can you reload the firmware by doing a manual download?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check the FAQ (my sig) for possible solutions....

What OS (and service pack) are you using and if it is WinXP what version of WMP is installed?

The Zen doesn't need any of the Creative software installed to work. So, maybe uninstalling it and giving it another try may help.

Also, have you tried loading the driver manually? Instead of letting Windows load the driver, load it yourself:

a. With the Zen connected, uninstall the Zen listing within Device Manager.

b. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.

c. Now connect your device and when it detects it as a new device, don't "automatically install driver. Select " click to specify the location..." and choose not to search for the driver. Click the option to specify what driver you want to use. Click next.

d. The next window should ask you what driver to use and the top of the list should say "show all devices." Click next.

e. The next window select "have disk" and point the path of the driver to the desktop where you put wpdmtp.inf and select OK.

It should then force the MTP driver to load for that device. You have now reinstalled all USB and USB host controller drivers and forced the Zen to use the correct MTP driver it is supposed to use. Again, try to see if your problem still exists.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Ok, now its not even charging OR turning on.
This is un believable.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Try a different comp. Then return it.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 AM

It works perfectly on my brother's computer

Bobby: It will automatically install hardware no matter what I do. One of Vista's many many flaws, I suppose.

I tried a different route, using that file to "update drivers" will only say it's up to date, nothing will change. Maybe I should just trash this piece of crap vista computer.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
It works perfectly on my brother's computer
Good to hear. At least you know for sure it is a software issue on that one computer.

Quote:
Bobby: It will automatically install hardware no matter what I do. One of Vista's many many flaws, I suppose.

I tried a different route, using that file to "update drivers" will only say it's up to date, nothing will change. Maybe I should just trash this piece of crap vista computer.
You're on the right track. Did the driver for the Zen have an error (black exclamation mark)?

To verify the driver used:

- Double left click on the driver and goto the Details Tab and select "Inf Name" in the "Property" drop down box. - It should say "WPDMTP.INF".

To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:

- Double left click on the driver and goto the Driver Tab and select the Update Driver box.
- Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
- Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
- Windows will then install the MTP driver for the Zen.
- Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Zen under Portable Devices as Creative Zen with no errors.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-19-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Good to hear. At least you know for sure it is a software issue on that one computer.

You're on the right track. Did the driver for the Zen have an error (black exclamation mark)?

To verify the driver used:

- Double left click on the driver and goto the Details Tab and select "Inf Name" in the "Property" drop down box. - It should say "WPDMTP.INF".

To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:

- Double left click on the driver and goto the Driver Tab and select the Update Driver box.
- Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
- Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
- Windows will then install the MTP driver for the Zen.
- Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Zen under Portable Devices as Creative Zen with no errors.

Getting an error "the device cannot start code 10"

Old 04-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Getting an error "the device cannot start code 10"
Warning: This fix involves editing the Windows Registry. Please try if you feel it is your last resort and any of the previous fixes have not worked. It is a good idea to back up the enteries you modify or delete.

In regards to receiving "The device cannot start (code 10)" within Device Manager, you can try this registry entry change to fix this problem:

1. Disconnect the Zen, if connected.

2. Run regedit (Click on the "Start" button and select "Run") and go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

3. In the right hand panel, the key "(Default)" should say "Portable Devices".

4. Delete the Key “UpperFilters”.

5. Delete the Key “LowerFilters” (If present).

6. Reconnect the device .

This Registry change has been known to work on Windows XP SP2 only. I am not sure if it will work on other versions of Windows.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Well, The files to delete weren't there, neither of them, so this probably won't work either. If it's the computer, I think I'm getting rid of it, it's been nothing but trouble. Dell sucks.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well, The files to delete weren't there, neither of them, so this probably won't work either.
They are not files stored on the hard drive. They are Registry (System) settings/entries. Are you sure you used Regedit to locate them?

Quote:
If it's the computer, I think I'm getting rid of it, it's been nothing but trouble. Dell sucks.
I would say the software (Windows) is more of an issue here than the hardware vendor.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM

I was able to transfer music from an XP machine, finally.

Yes, when I used Regedit, the files weren't there.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I was able to transfer music from an XP machine, finally.

Yes, when I used Regedit, the files weren't there.
Glad to hear Junkman. Don't hold it against Dell or Creative. The Zen is awesome. I have not heard many good things about Windows Vista.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, good to hear. What ended up being the problem? Was it the LibUSB-Win32 service?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

*Off Topic* Damn,...... I HATE Vista *Off Topic*

Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Just have to say the same thing, VISTA SUCKS!!! I have yet to get creative media explorer to work right. Everything works great on my XP machine, but Vista is just to damn buggy. And just to let ya know Junkman all my pc's are Dell. My only problem with Dell was when I ordered my Quad-core last summer I didn't have the option to get it with XP.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I find Vista hardly buggy and the most stable OS (not counting Server versions) Microsoft has released yet. I have been running Vista since its release and love it (although it is a little bloated). Most issues I have had with it were the result of other software/drivers having issues with working with Vista, not with Vista itself. Once the companies who created the software/drivers addressed the issues by releasing newer versions of the software/drivers, all has been good. The problem here is not with Vista, but with Creative's software not working correctly all the time with Vista. It's Creative's software that really isn't all that great and buggy when running within Vista. It isn't stable at all and interferes with the native support of MTP.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-20-2008, 06:20 PM

+1 for ^

You should never even have to install Creative software. ZC said they don't even play well together anyway.

I was very concerned about this when I got Vista, but... one after the other, I plugged in my Creative players (no creative software on this machine), all were recognized and I use WMP 11 to sync all of them. (see sig for list of all the players Vista recognized immediately )

Couldn't be easier.