android
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Help T10 w/ Moto S9 - Random Pitch Bending

Hey all,

I just switched from the FreePulse BT stereo headset to the Motorola S9 BT stereo headset and over the course of my walk today, I noticed that all of my .MP3 files sounded a little...off. It sounded as if someone were tweaking the pitch wheel on a DJ's mixing table, subtle, but annoying. I tried listening to them through wired headphones, as well as directly on my PC with decent RF wireless and did not get the same effect (at all).

I'm curious, is this random pitch bending normal for the T10, S9 or all Bluetooth stereo headphones in general? I read a review on ABI regarding the Insignia Pilot and the guy was talking about a very similar problem:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...lot-review.php

Thoughts?

Last edited by amarand; 04-21-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Enabled E-mail Notification

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM

Probably just a bad signal.
The FreePulse must just be a better bluetooth device.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM

Default FreePulse versus S9

Well, actually, the FreePulse cut out a lot more, and for longer periods of time, than the S9 with the same T10 unit. The problems with the S9 are weird (pitch bending and minor losses) whereas the FreePulse unit was almost useless. Is the Bluetooth standard so crappy that it can't transmit effectively from my belt to my ear, but it can transmit from my arm to my ear? I guess I never understood the whole "30 feet indoors, one foot outdoors" explanation. I would have expected there to be MORE interference indoors than out.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM

I don't know but I had a bluetooth dongle and my phone placed various lengths apart, from 1cm to a few metres, with my PC acting as a speaker, all had terrible sound quality as if it were an extremely weak radio signal.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Unhappy Bluetooth

I really don't have confidence in the Bluetooth technology, period. For the stuff that I use it for (walking outside) it's barely useful (and by "useful" I mean "tolerable"). What would be awesome would be a Bluetooth comparison chart, so I could see which units paired the best, and had the best connection rates, with fewest drop-offs. I love the reviews on this site, but there doesn't seem to be any Bluetooth comparison chart I could just reference and say "Aaah, this Bluetooth stereo headset works great with this $200 MP3 player, so I'll buy these!" Very sad state of affairs...it really should just work, but it rarely seems to.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM

I too have the the freepulse headphones and have experienced the sound cutting out to the point where use is pointless... however I discovered that by connecting the T10 to the freepulse, as opposed to establishing the connection from freepulse to T10 greatly reduced the cutout.

And to clarify what I mean by connecting the T10 to the Freepulse -- after the two are paired with each other, leave the BT on the T10 off, turn the headphones on (red solid light) then use the menus to navigate to Connect to Headset (whether in actual BT Menu or Now Playing context menu) this way significantly reduced the sound cutting out.

In contrast when I had the T10's BT on, and turned on my Freepulse and it automatically when blue (flashing red, then solid blue) is when I had severe cutting out of sound.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Bluetooth is good for non mission critical data streams. I dont think it's reliability is that good to support an audio stream with no missed frames. This is why I wont buy a Bluetooth headphone. That and they're grossly overpriced.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 AM

Unhappy Bluetooth

Thanks for the tip about the pairing sequence! Now that I've returned the FreePulse for the Motorola S9 unit, I'll try it with that as well.

Regarding the mission-criticality of Bluetooth: sure, that makes sense. But I'm just surprised that the protocol has been through a few revisions and yet it still sucks. WHY does it suck? I mean, every cellular service is selling BT headsets like hotcakes (voice) and yet everyone I know that buys them, says that the quality sucks even for that! I would have thought that with the industry selling audio-quality stereo headphones, they would try to make the underlying protocol audio-quality for things like, oh, I dunno...walking?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:29 PM

XD that would be a good thing to do. But Bluetooth was originally designed just to connect HID (Human Interface Devices) to a computer system (Sony PS3 DualShock3, Nintendo Wii Remotes, Bluetooth keyboards and mice and so forth). For those, it truly is an awesome wireless standard. My Wii Remotes are smooth, responsive and last forever with two AA batteries. It wasn't really meant for high quality audio though. Hopefully a future revision with beef up this aspect of a cool protocol and connection method. I hope anyways. Also, maybe some smaller footprint Bluetooth earbuds too? Who wants to have ear buds that have a wire to a box you wear on your belt to a device thats 6 inches away from it? =/ Not very wireless. *chuckles*

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolxen View Post
XD that would be a good thing to do. But Bluetooth was originally designed just to connect HID (Human Interface Devices) to a computer system (Sony PS3 DualShock3, Nintendo Wii Remotes, Bluetooth keyboards and mice and so forth). For those, it truly is an awesome wireless standard. My Wii Remotes are smooth, responsive and last forever with two AA batteries. It wasn't really meant for high quality audio though. Hopefully a future revision with beef up this aspect of a cool protocol and connection method. I hope anyways. Also, maybe some smaller footprint Bluetooth earbuds too? Who wants to have ear buds that have a wire to a box you wear on your belt to a device thats 6 inches away from it? =/ Not very wireless. *chuckles*

are you sure those devices are bluethooth? none of them have the bluetooth trademark on them and I know for sure the XBox 360 controller is not bluetooth http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...0201706&pgno=3

wireless != bluetooth but bluetooh == wireless... just as rectangle != to a square but a square == rectangle

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARob109 View Post
are you sure those devices are bluethooth? none of them have the bluetooth trademark on them and I know for sure the XBox 360 controller is not bluetooth http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...0201706&pgno=3

wireless != bluetooth but bluetooh == wireless... just as rectangle != to a square but a square == rectangle
PS3 Dualshock3 - The Sixaxis can operate wirelessly via Bluetooth and up to 7 simultaneous controllers are supported natively by the console. Under Feature and design changes paragraph.

Nintendo Wii Remote - The controller communicates wirelessly with the console via short-range Bluetooth radio, with which it is possible to operate up to four controllers as far as 10 meters (approx. 30ft) away from the console. Under Design paragraph.

Also, note i didnt include the 360 controllers as I know they do not use Bluetooth. But numerous Bluetooth keyboards and mice for computers exist.
Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard
Apple Bluetooth keyboard
Bluetooth Laser Mouse
Logitech Bluetooth Mouse

Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Thumb Up Bluetooth with Wires

Yeah, that's insane with the Bluetooth device with wires! I went to Verizon and they said "Ooh, look at this one! It's the Dogtag, you wear it around you neck, and it has wires that you can connect your earbuds up to!" So I think to myself: "I already have to have the MP3 player, and the headset...so now I have to have a third device AND wires?" It's a joke, but they aren't getting it.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 PM

haha my bad, I didn't realize you didn't mention 360 controllers, and I know theres bluetooth keyboards and mice... I just didn't know that PS3 and Wii controllers are bluetooth

Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARob109 View Post
haha my bad, I didn't realize you didn't mention 360 controllers, and I know theres bluetooth keyboards and mice... I just didn't know that PS3 and Wii controllers are bluetooth
No biggie. The Wii Remotes can be mated to a computer and be used as an input device. The Wii Guitar Hero guitar controller can be routed through a midi keyboard, and into a computer to actually control the midi keyboard and make a song using the GH guitar controller. You can do quite a lot with Bluetooth, hopefully developers make a new revision better suited for high quality audio.