android
Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Default "Build Library" Ridiculous behavior !

If this is how things are to be with the Pilot, the piece of junk is going back to BB tomorrow. Possibly even today. I picked it up, on sale for $130 including tax just yesterday. Put a few folders w/music on it, and things were fine.

Today, as I'm about to go out and shoot some pictures I decided to fill up my SDHC card, which is an Ultra II Sandisk card, and now it's stuck on "build library". I initially thought it was frozen, so I held the power off button, and could swear the song count was over 550, but when it cycled back on, it refused to play nice and now it's at 463. I am just sitting here like an idiot waiting to see if anything is going to happen with it, but it's also now plugged into the pc again, so I can check to see if there are any non supported files I might have thrown in there by accident.

Too bad I can't check though, because it's just hanging like a monkey....

This is one of the most poorly implemented firmware patches I've ever seen. First of all, the user should be able to choose which sorting method is to be default. Either file tree or Id3, rather than be forced to see both and run into all sorts of issues because of it, especially a constant library build issue every time you chuck ONE damned song on it.

Heck, I even just took out the battery and then put it back in. Still doing its thing. This is cheesy. Just shut it down, and took out the SD card. Boots up fine now, but ....bleh. Just went through all the folders, and removed any .ini files and one gif and one .txt file. Let's see what happens. I also took out a folder which was problematic on my Sony 810i phone for some reason, but is mp3. Still not happy with this behavior. Might as well get the D2 for what it's worth now...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 PM

K, it's doing its "build library" thing again, and the song count is 675, but hanging, again. It's 3:56. Let's see how long this takes, if it does anything at all.

Edit: It's now 4:07 and I have to leave the house. I figured that if it was finished in 10 minutes, that I'd say ok.. wth. But it's still hanging, and I personally don't have time for a DAP that will make me late, or require me to get up half an hour earlier just to get it going, if it does at all. I'll wait to see what you all say about this, but to me, glitchy behavior is just that, and would rather exercise the other options I have. The Sansa view, D2 etc... But for now, I just figured out where my money is going:

Doors Limited Edition 7 LP set

And still.... hanging at 4:10.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM

I regularly have to wait 10 minutes or more for the Pilot to rebuild its database, now that I have playlists it has to go through and match up to filenames. Yes, this is the Pilot's largest fault right now; that and the now-playing list gets reset to 'play all' during said database rebuild, necessitating the use of playlists...

Old 04-23-2008, 03:59 PM

I should note that it never took that long to index all the files when I had no playlists. If it's giving you that sort of grief when you don't have any playlists, I'd say the unit is faulty.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet spot View Post
K, it's doing its "build library" thing again, and the song count is 675, but hanging, again. It's 3:56. Let's see how long this takes, if it does anything at all.

Edit: It's now 4:07 and I have to leave the house. I figured that if it was finished in 10 minutes, that I'd say ok.. wth. But it's still hanging, and I personally don't have time for a DAP that will make me late, or require me to get up half an hour earlier just to get it going, if it does at all. I'll wait to see what you all say about this, but to me, glitchy behavior is just that, and would rather exercise the other options I have. The Sansa view, D2 etc... But for now, I just figured out where my money is going:

Doors Limited Edition 7 LP set

And still.... hanging at 4:10.
First, it should not be hanging, so you must have a corrupted file somewhere, a bad card, or the Pilot is defective. I have over 1000 mp3's 15 or so videos and a two or three playlists and it doesn't taking anywhere near 5 or 10 mins to build the library with an 8GB SDHC card inserted.

Second, a library build should only occur is you've removed/replaced the SDHC card and should NOT occur on every bootup. Otherwise, it goes through a shorter "media" build process during bootup that lasts <30 sec to 1 min roughly.

I know you are frustrated as evidenced by the negativity toward the Pilot in ALL your posts. I suspect your unit is defective somehow or you have a corrupt file because your Pilot's behavior is atypical. FWIW, I DO think the biggest drawback of the Pilot are the long bootup times, but what you are experiencing is way beyond what I've observed most Pilot users are experiencing.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 PM

Well, it's not a problem anymore, since it went back to BB.

Hanging because of a defective unit, I can understand. Hanging like that because of a corrupted file (which I highly doubt, because none of my other DAP's or media players react to any of those folders/files in a weird way, and because I rip most of my stuff) I can't tolerate too much. If there's no failsafe written into the code to make sure that the DAP handles corrupt files in a more productive manner, especially when you have to try to do a process of elimination thing, that's just poor programming IMO. Oh, and my Sandisk Extreme II SD card is just spiffy btw. Works very well outside of the Pilot.

As far as being negative towards it in ALL my posts.. All encompasses a whole two posts before this, and is based on a first experience with a product I was excited about. I've previously owned the NSDV4 and liked it a lot. This DAP needs serious refinement, because it can be killer if done right. The SD card slot, fantastic feature. Bluetooth ? Not so much. Navigation ? It's ok, but could be much better.

Like I've said, give the user a choice for default browsing method, and dismiss the redundancies...

So I took it back, and exchanged it for a Sansa View. So far, the wife likes it, and so it might be hers...

doug

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Hey SS, do I know you from some place?

Good luck with the View. From what I hear it's a great player. Sorry about your misfortunes with the Pilot.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 PM

Ya might MH, ya just might !

Thanks, so far the View seems rock solid. And the SQ is definitely (IMO) better than that of the Pilot's. Navigation (although not file tree) is also very intuitive and less of a hassle than I had anticipated.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet spot View Post
Well, it's not a problem anymore, since it went back to BB.

Hanging because of a defective unit, I can understand. Hanging like that because of a corrupted file (which I highly doubt, because none of my other DAP's or media players react to any of those folders/files in a weird way, and because I rip most of my stuff) I can't tolerate too much. If there's no failsafe written into the code to make sure that the DAP handles corrupt files in a more productive manner, especially when you have to try to do a process of elimination thing, that's just poor programming IMO. Oh, and my Sandisk Extreme II SD card is just spiffy btw. Works very well outside of the Pilot.

As far as being negative towards it in ALL my posts.. All encompasses a whole two posts before this, and is based on a first experience with a product I was excited about. I've previously owned the NSDV4 and liked it a lot. This DAP needs serious refinement, because it can be killer if done right. The SD card slot, fantastic feature. Bluetooth ? Not so much. Navigation ? It's ok, but could be much better.

Like I've said, give the user a choice for default browsing method, and dismiss the redundancies...

So I took it back, and exchanged it for a Sansa View. So far, the wife likes it, and so it might be hers...

doug
I agree that the corrupt file handling in the all the insignia players appears to be significantly problematic. Some people have experienced "permanent" lockups due to a corrupted file that takes down the player completely (you can't eject onboard flash memory, the same problem on an SD card is easily overcome by simply ejecting the card). I can understand your unwillingness to experiment to see what the root cause of the problem is (Insignia isn't paying you to be a beta tester) its just a shame you couldn't verify the whether the player was defective by getting another Pilot from BB.

Just curious about your comment on "bluetooth" are you saying you don't care much for the feature in general or the way it was implemented on the Pilot. Bluetooth is actually one of the main reasons why I went for the Pilot in the first place and I think in general it is implemented pretty well.

Finally, too bad the Pilot experience was not so good for you. Good luck with the Sansa but have you looked into the new Samsungs?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:10 PM

I setup a friends Pilot. I have 1583 MP3's on the 8GB internal storage and an additional 2000 songs on my 16GB SDHC card for a total of 3583 MP3's and the boot up time is around 20-25 seconds with Bluetooth enabled (BT adds boot up time to initialize). I do not use playlists (yet) as I have seen them increase the boot time substantially and cause lock-ups if the playlist is referencing a file that does not exist.

Good luck.