android
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM

Default firmware sources?

Hello everybody,

I ve read about 3 different t10 firmware types in this forum (US, EU, KR), but where can i download them? Does it work probably this way: if i download the t10 firmware from www.samsung.com/uk im gonna get the EU version, and if i dl it from www.samsung.com/us i get the US one? Or if not, then what are the official sources for the latest different firmware types?
Thx 4 ur help in advance

MP

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-24-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majompicsa View Post
I ve read about 3 different t10 firmware types in this forum (US, EU, KR),
There is an additional type: the best buy version. And not sure whether there is a dedicated french version (to enforce the volume limit required in France - might be a hardware configuration as well)

SMS has an option to upgrade your player's firmware. So if you don't want to fiddle around and just want to get the latest version that matches your player, you should use that functionality. (If you switched to korean firmware, it will download korean firmware)

Apart from that, you're right, get the US firmware from the US site, get the EU firmware from any site in the EU, get korean version from the korean site (yepp.co.kr) - of look in this forum..

AFAIK the US and EU are (almost) identical - not sure whether US version has RDS support or not (surely you could find the answer in the forum). So there's not really a point from switching from EU to US or from US to EU.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 AM

Big thx 4 ur detailed answer and yes this info is important for me beacause of the rds support of the EU version since only that one is said to have the feature. It would also be good if the player used the UMS protocol featured in the 3.0 beta korean version, but i think i ll just wait for the final 3.0 EU firmware to get both features.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 AM

The 3.0 firmware will be MTP if you dont get the KR version. The EU, US and BB versions will all be MTP, and the KR one will be UMS. If you want UMS functionality, see the Stickied thread on MTP vs UMS at the top of the forum. In there is a modified KR firmware by Robinhd (sp? sorry man ) that you can use to get the 3.00 KR firmware when its officially released.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM

Oh, i see, thx 4 the info. Anyway i use windows xp sp2 so i think i ll just prefer the 3.0 EU firmware with rds support when it gets released, UMS functionality is not a must for me. Altough it d be a lot more comfortable i admit...but this is strange. Why will only the korean verison be UMS? I think its a rather idiotic solution when everyone is craving for UMS in the States and in Europe also, and the biggest disadvantage of Samsung's daps nowadays is the lack of UMS support. I think Korea is not that big of a market compared the EU and the US so i really dont understand...Samsung u fag.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Samsung Moderator

Samsung players are MTP in Europe because of the samsung online music webstore that Samsung Korea imposed, which still uses WMA DRM and has no success...

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Samsung players are MTP in Europe because of the samsung online music webstore that Samsung Korea imposed, which still uses WMA DRM and has no success...
Does that mean you think that UMS support won't happen in EU?

Regards, Geoff

ps. Where do I find out what MTP and UMS mean, technically? Thanks, G

Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM

There's a stickied thread at the top of the forum page, but basically, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is a media transfer method for Windows-based machines with XP SP2 or Vista and WMP 10 or 11 and UMS (Universal Mass Storage) is platform independant (meaning it'll work on Windows, Linux, Mac, everything). UMS treats the T10 like a USB flash drive (pen drive, USB stick depending on geographical vernacular. instead of a Media Device. Unless you want to use the T10 on non Windows systems, keeping it MTP is fine (as I keep mine)

Old 04-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
And DRM is one of the worst policies/formats I've ever seen in media devices... It makes me sad.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Samsung Moderator

Yep, I agree
Moreover because of MTP, mp3 players are sold more expensive (Samsung pays rights to microsoft for it)

@gegard: In a close future, samsung mp3-players will remain MTP. But I hope one day Samsung Korea will accept its error to have imposed MTP in Europe

And the new shuffle-like YP-S2 will be UMS in France!!! That's a progress
But unfortunately the S3 will be MTP...

Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
... @gegard: In a close future, samsung mp3-players will remain MTP. But I hope one day Samsung Korea will accept its error to have imposed MTP in Europe ...
Ok, thanks. I understand a lot more now thanks to you and Zolxen.

Regards, Geoff

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 AM

According to SMS mine has the current firmware....1.29!