android
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Default Memory Loss

Hello.

My winbugs shows 7.5 Gigs, and my pilot shows 7.7Gb Total - 158Mb Used but theres no files in it, i tryed Windows Format, HP USB TOOL Format, Erasing files from the pilot, nothing seems to work, it keeps showing 16o, 159 or 158 Mb Used.

This happened after putting some files over msc using linux (Ubuntu 8.04 ISO).

Thanks for your help.

Warning: Fractured English Inside

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 PM

The 8 GB flash memory, when converted to 1024 MB (and so on) gigibytes (not giga) is only 7.5 GiB. The extra .2 GiB your pilot reports is the 256 MiB dedicated chip for the Pilot's on-board software, which is 158 MiB in size and can't be seen by Windows or Ubuntu.

In short, you're not missing anything, and it's a good thing you can't erase that last 158 megibytes. Why the space taken up changes so much from reset to reset confuses me, though. I've noticed problems of my own with my Pilot claiming it's completely full when Ubuntu (and everything else external) report it to have upwards of 200 megibytes free... something's somewhat screwy with the drive space free indicator.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 AM

Thanks for your reply, the pilots software, firmware.. are already on the 7.8 - 7.9 Gb, thats why we can see only 7.7Gb but i dont have 7.7 like everyone i have 7.5 (Thats what Win and Ubu says) (The pilot shows 7.7g and 158m used) Even if i erase everything i can see those 158m (im sure if you erase from the menu it will show 0m Used)..

Other thing, i put my ISO in the pilot, then i switch to win so i can install ubu 8.04, but when i pluged the pilot, the iso wasnt there, i was confused then i saw that my pilot was 7.5G not 7.7 like always.

Saludos.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Hello.

Now my pilot doesnt work, i put my files on it and it frezees when building the library, if i reset the pilot it shows no tracks.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM

It may not actually be frozen; it takes a LONG (like 30 minutes) time to build the library sometimes.

The Pilot's 8 GB memory is only 7.5 gigabytes; that's all you or anyone else has. 8 Gigabytes refers to 8 billion bytes, while every computerized system I've ever seen thinks a kilobyte is 1024 bytes (not 1000), a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes and so on. 8,000,000,000 by 1024*1024*1024 is 7.4505 GB, so if you round, 7.5 is about right.

The reason the Pilot reports 7.7 gigabytes is that its OWN software can see the 256 MB (or as it sees it, 244 MB) RAM chip with the system software on it. You're missing nothing. The 160 MB that cannot be erased is the Insignia Pilot's operating system.

I don't know why the ISO disappeared. Possibly the entire file hadn't actually been written to the Pilot before you unplugged it. Did you unmount it and wait for data to be written before disconnecting it from the computer?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 PM

I have an eight gig with 981 songs. without the 1 GB SD card, it has about 900 songs and turns on in about 4 seconds

don't worry about the lower file size. On the insignia site...
http://insignia-products.com/pc-289-...echnology.aspx

...it says
"8GB* internal flash storage holds MP3 files, photos and videos Built-in Bluetooth wireless audio lets you listen to your music with compatible Bluetooth headphones (not included).

*Note: Actual formatted capacity less."

Plus, a lot of things such as flashdrives, CDs, and DVDs do the same thing. Besides, wouldn't it be a bit awkward if your mp3 player said "7.5 Gigabytes" on the box it came in or if it was called the "NS-7.5V24" or something like that? :]

concerning the freezing...i have no idea. the only suggestion i have is resetting your pilot, but you've already tried that.
good luck :/

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Thanks

Hello.

Thanks for your replies, Its all good now, it works correctly.

Quote:
Did you unmount it and wait for data to be written before disconnecting it from the computer?
Oh, i just unplugged the pilot from the USB , because it showed OK to Disconect.

Thanks again.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Not to be completely pedantic, but both 1000 and 1024 are valid multipliers when talking about computers. It used to be people used whichever suited them best, but now there are standards... kilo-, mega- and giga- and kibi-, mebi- and gibi- and so on for 1000 and 1024 respectively. Wikipedia has a good rundown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix).

Also, the only unbearably slow startups I have ever experienced were related to playlists... seems like it checks for existence of every file referenced or something. I just shuffle everything, so not using playlists doesn't bother me. Hopefully Insignia will fix this problem, though.