android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Player not recognized - looked everywhere, talked to everyone - no solution!

I know this issue is been brought up in many forums and on many occasions but I haven't found one since solution that solves my problem. I have read for the past month on all types of discussion forums and nothing helped. Today I called creative directly to use their 12.99 customer support offer and that still didn't help - actually it was worthless.
So my player is not recognized. It wokred fine and one day it just stopped being recognized. I have Vision M 30 GB. Two cables, 3 usb ports so it's not those. I have XP, tried it on another XP and 3 Vista computers - nothing. Player still works and chargers when plugged in. There is nothing on my device manager.

Of course I have an old firmware, but can't upgrade because I can't connect it to a computer.I formatted it from the recovery mode but nothing. The recovery tool form Creative is not worth it similar to the firmware reason. And of course the sticky solution that is posted in this forum and expects the player to connect and disconnect every now and then - doesn't work for me. I have tried everything but no success so I am hoping miricle happens and someone tells me what to do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does the ZVM have any problems or is it only with the computer?
Has it been working (being detected) or is this the first time trying?
Do you have WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed?<O
Do you have WMP10 or 11 installed?<O
Do you have the Creative Software installed?<O
Do you get an audible alert and/or notification bubble when you connect it to the computer?

Quote:
There is nothing on my device manager.

1. With the ZVM disconnected, open Device Manager<O
2. With Device Manager open, plug in the ZVM.<O
3. Take note of any activity at all. <O
<O
Does Device Manager do an automatic refresh due to a new plug and play device being inserted and detected? If so and you don't see any new entry with any error (exclamation mark over it), expand all categories looking for the new entry of the ZVM/MTP Device. You should see the ZVM load under the category of Potable Devices (if the OS has the driver) or Other (if it doesn't have the driver). If it does have an error, open the properties and check for more information on the error.<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 PM

BobbyRS,

Has it been working (being detected) or is this the first time trying?
Yes it worked for over a year before this happened. No particular reason why it happened

Do you have WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed?<o>
Yes

</o>
Do you have WMP10 or 11 installed?<o>
I am with 10. But the Vista computers I tried it on have 11 which is up to date

</o>
Do you have the Creative Software installed?<o>
For long time while it worked yes, then it stopped recognizing it so I removed it and tried other ways following forum discussions. The Vista computers I tried it on didn't have it neither.

</o>
Do you get an audible alert and/or notification bubble when you connect it to the computer?
Nothing more from the "Not recognized" pop-up

1. With the ZVM disconnected, open Device Manager<o>
2. With Device Manager open, plug in the ZVM.<o></o>
3. Take note of any activity at all. <o></o>
<o>

The device manager only updates the USB selection - an Unknown Device pops up when the player gets connected and I tried to go into it and point to the drivers, but didn't work.
</o>
No Portable devices category shows up

</o>

Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ZVM is still working correctly itself?

Do you have any other USB devices that are detected and working properly on this computer?

You mentioned you've tried multiple cables, but what about the dongle? Can you play around with the dongle and get a different result with it being detected?

You said you already tried booting into Recovery Mode and selected the Reformat option, correct?

Have you done any Windows updates or added new software to your computer lately?

First thought is that the problem is a bad cable/dongle.
Second thought is that the USB port/hosts/controllers may be bad.
Third thought is maybe the USB drivers are corrupt.

If you have tried other cables and another dongle and still have the issue, try this:

1. While the ZVM is connected, in Device Manager, uninstall the Unknown Device and Disconnect the ZVM.

2. Then do the same and uninstall everything listed under USB controllers and reboot.

3. Continue rebooting until all USB controllers and drivers.

4. Then reconnect the ZVM while having Device Manager open and see if it is detected/loaded properly.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately, given the fact that the behavior is the same on multiple computers, it points the blame squarely on the player itself. For whatever reason, the computer senses it, but the player is not identifying itself.

This could well be a firmware issue. I have a couple of things to try:

First, place the player in Removable Disk mode (Main Menu -> Extras -> Removable Disk). Choose a partition size, then plug the player in and see what happens. An MSC device should be detected.

If so, then disconnect, reboot the player into Recovery Mode, then plug in again, and see if it is recognized and that the player shows "Docked" at the bottom of the screen. If so, then do the "Reload Firmware" option.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Depending on their answer to if the ZVM is even working correctly or not (besides the ZVM itself as being the culprit), I suspect the cable/dongle or something within the mainboard. This same issue happens on many devices that connect to USB; something goes array and prevents it from being detected properly. Whether it is the controller, interface data ports, integrated circuits, cables for connection, etc....

Although it wouldn't surprise me if the firmware could be contributing to this issue if it was corrupt, shouldn't the ZVM be detected properly with or without firmware loaded?<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 PM

ZenChick,

Thank you for your response.

I created a separate disk on the ZEN but nothing happened when I connected it to the computer. Still shows up as unknown usb device and can't update the drivers.

BobbyRS,

Tried the usb idea and uninstalled all, rebooted, Windows did its part but still no luck of finding the zen.

I am really wondering what will happen if I reboot it from recovery mode with removing the firmware. And then if I plug it in a XP or Vista do you guys thing there might be a chance of recognizing it?

Thanks both of you for your responses

Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefsj View Post
I am really wondering what will happen if I reboot it from recovery mode with removing the firmware. And then if I plug it in a XP or Vista do you guys thing there might be a chance of recognizing it?
Well you can certainly try it. Although I would say it would be a last resort type of move. Is the ZVM recognized any differently or correctly if booted into Recovery Mode and connected to the computer?
<O
Have you tried maneuvering the dongle around to see if you get a different response? Better yet, are you able to try a different dongle?<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Connectivity Issue - searched forum first for answer

Hi all, I've had my Zen Vision:M for about a year now, and recently started having connectivity issues.

Here's what happens when I try to connect my player to the computer; the player turns on, and begins playback from a track I was previously listening to. The blue power light comes on, but does not flash, nor does the screen make the syncing or battery charging icons.

To help diagnose the problem:
The player does not show up in the device manager
The player is fully charged (ac charger)
I have used multiple cords and USB slots and get the same results
My old flash MP3 player has no problems connecting to my computer

Could it be that something is wrong with the dongle? I'd like some feedback before I invest in a new one. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was thinking the dongle as I read it, especially after you said you tried other cables and ports. With the ZVM connected to the computer, try moving the cable and dongle around to see if you can get the computer to detect it.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 AM

It seems that I am having the same trouble with my zen as cpain is having.
When I plug my zen vision M into the USB port, it turns on and starts up as normal. It doesn't even charge. I have tried 2 computers, and different ports, but it doesn't seem to work even if i do jiggle the dongle around. I've also tried plugging it in when it is on already. I am reluctant to try reformatting, (as it would delete everything???) but I'll listen to what people have to say...
Thanks in advance

Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

copeys: How do you know it doesn't charge? If it is turning on when you connect it, the ZVM is detecting the power from the USB port. How does the driver look in Device Manager for the ZVM?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Hey copeys, have you ever dropped your player? I was riding my bike one day and it fell out of my pocket. I wonder if that messed up something internally. The player itself still works perfectly, I just can't sync it.

This is what my device manager looks like when my ZVM is plugged in.

As you can see, nothing shows up that is related to the ZVM.

I also tried to use the ZVM's removable disk feature, and the computer still didn't detect it.

Last edited by cpain49176; 06-11-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well of course not, you don't have any of the categories expanded to see any devices. With the ZVM disconnected and leaving Device Manager open, when you connect the ZVM, Device Manager should refresh automatically when it loads the driver (and play an audible alert tone). Do you ever see/hear this happening? As an MTP device, a category called Portable Devices should show and under it, the ZVM listed when connected.

What OS and version of WMP do you have installed? <O</O
<O</O
I see that you have the Creative software installed.... I would uninstall it until your connection issues are resolved. It has been known too many times to interfere with the device being detected and recognized properly. <O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 06-11-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Well of course not, you don't have any of the categories expanded to see any devices. With the ZVM disconnected and leaving Device Manager open, when you connect the ZVM, Device Manager should refresh automatically when it loads the driver (and play an audible alert tone). Do you ever see/hear this happening? As an MTP device, a category called Portable Devices should show and under it, the ZVM listed when connected.

I've watched the device manager countless times while plugging in the ZVM, nothing changes at all. There's also no tone when I plug in the Zen. The only thing that happens when I plug it in is the itself Zen turns on. The screen shot was taken while the ZVM was plugged in.

Quote:
What OS and version of WMP do you have installed? <o></o>
<o></o>

XP service pack 2 and WMP 11.

Quote:
I see that you have the Creative software installed.... I would uninstall it until your connection issues are resolved. It has been known too many times to interfere with the device being detected and recognized properly. <o></o>
I'll do this and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Well, I removed all of my creative software. It didn't help anything as I thought it wouldn't, since my girlfriend's desktop has no creative software and my ZVM does the same thing with her computer. I guess I'm stuck with the same music for now . I would try reformatting it, but I don't want to be left with a completely useless player.

Last edited by cpain49176; 06-11-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'll do this and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
It's no problem. However, it does seem to indicate a problem with the dongle or data port on the ZVM. Do you have another computer you can connect it to for a test? Do you know of anyone else that has a ZVM that you may be able to borrow their dongle and try?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Well, never mind. Rest in pieces zen. POS didn't even last a year, no better than an ipod.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Come on now. I wouldn't give up on the ZVM so easily. You can try getting another dongle somewhere or even one of those cables that will connect directly to the data port eliminating the dongle.

Edit: Just something to try..... boot into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup and see if that makes any difference. When ever you feel bored enough with the files you have on the ZVM, you can also try the Format option in Recovery Mode.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-11-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
copeys: How do you know it doesn't charge? If it is turning on when you connect it, the ZVM is detecting the power from the USB port. How does the driver look in Device Manager for the ZVM?
Umm, I know it doesn't charge because it doesn't have the image on the battery meter (on the ZVM)

I thought so to that since it is turning on, it is detecting power but it doesn't connect. But once it turns on and starts up, it acts as if it isn't connected, when it still is. I can play music etc but it doesn't connect to the computer. In Device manager, it does not show up in Universal Serial Bus Controllers or anywhere else. Nothing changes . Also I just noticed that if the Zen is not touched, the idle shutdown kicks in and it turns off. Odd. I tested on 2 computers, A vista and a Xp. Can't think of anything else to tell you! I've got a new CD that I wish to rip too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpain49176 View Post
Hey copeys, have you ever dropped your player? I was riding my bike one day and it fell out of my pocket. I wonder if that messed up something internally. The player itself still works perfectly, I just can't sync it.
Yeah I've dropped my player a few times - even the first day I got it oops. It is a very tough player but it still works brilliantly. My player also works perfectly, doesn't miss a beat, but it seems that I just can't sync it... Well... It was almost full anyway lol

Last edited by copeys; 06-12-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: addition of information (added second quote)

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Umm, I know it doesn't charge because it doesn't have the image on the battery meter (on the ZVM)
Does the power light flash like it is charging?

Quote:
I thought so to that since it is turning on, it is detecting power but it doesn't connect. But once it turns on and starts up, it acts as if it isn't connected, when it still is.
If there is a problem with the dongle, cable, or even the ports (pins), it could cause this problem. On the USB cable, you have 4 pins; Power, Ground, Data+, and Data-. If there is a misalignment with the pins or the cable is bad, it could detect the power coming through the power pin, but not necessarily from the data pins. You mentioned you have tried jiggling the dongle, but have you tried another cable or taken a close look at the pins on the data port and dongle to make sure that none are bent or misaligned?

Quote:
In Device manager, it does not show up in Universal Serial Bus Controllers or anywhere else.

Yeah, if you have issues like mentioned above, since it isn't connecting properly, it won't be detected by the OS.

Zen FAQ

Tags
recognized, usb not recognized