android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Does the power light flash like it is charging?
Sorry I forgot to mention that it does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
If there is a problem with the dongle, cable, or even the ports (pins), it could cause this problem. On the USB cable, you have 4 pins; Power, Ground, Data+, and Data-. If there is a misalignment with the pins or the cable is bad, it could detect the power coming through the power pin, but not necessarily from the data pins. You mentioned you have tried jiggling the dongle, but have you tried another cable or taken a close look at the pins on the data port and dongle to make sure that none are bent or misaligned?
It does not look as if any of the connectors/pins on either the ZVM dongle or USB cord look damaged. I am not sure what the problem would be... I just hope this isn't the last of my Zen If it has... Oh well. I've had a great year lol

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you boot into Recovery Mode and connect the ZVM, does it get detected it then?

If it doesn't then well..... I have the same advice for you as I left for cpain above:

You can try getting another dongle somewhere or even one of those cables that will connect directly to the data port eliminating the dongle.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 AM

Yeah it did not recognise the ZVM in recovery mode. I did a quick search and couldn't find any dongles on ebay (australian version) but I'll search more. I may even contact creative. It is still only under a year old...

Thanks BobbyRS for your help

Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey no problem. Good luck with Creative. Maybe they have or know how/where to get another dongle. If you can't seem to get any help, there is always opening up the dongle to see if anything inside is noticeably bad or loose. This should help.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM

I have this same problem. Any luck? What if I purchased a direct USB cable where the dongle wouldn't be needed? Would that eliminate the dongle out? My A/V connection works fine in the car and TV.

Last edited by Doom; 07-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A direct USB cable should work to eliminate the dongle and determine whether it was the cause of the problem or not.

Doom: Does your player give any indication of charging when plugged into your computer?

Edit: Merged two related threads into this one.

Last edited by ZenChick; 07-03-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 AM

When it's plugged in, it works in regular music playing mode. The battery icon has no lightning over it to indicate charging. The blue light on top of the player stays a solid blue. Luckily I have an aftermarket charger that charges without the dongle so I can still use the music that I already have in there.

FYI, I did do the Clean Up mode via Recovery menu but I will not attempt the Firmware nor Format option until I can determine if the dongle is to blame. I have a friend that I haven't spoken to in a while that has a the same player as I so I might hook up with her first. I also checked the connection by playing with the dongle and USB. I tried different USB ports on my PC and the USB cable that comes with my PS3 as it worked as well in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Edit: Merged two related threads into this one.
Thanks for the help but I wanted to see if the other member in the thread that I posted had any luck. Can you restore my message over there as well or can I just post again?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-03-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
FYI, I did do the Clean Up mode via Recovery menu but I will not attempt the Firmware nor Format option until I can determine if the dongle is to blame.
That's a wise choice. Dongle failure is exceedingly rare, but not completely unheard of. More often than not, when a ZVM fails to enumerate on a computer, it's usually because of a database corruption in the player. However, verifying the dongle first before resorting to measures that could wipe the player is a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
Thanks for the help but I wanted to see if the other member in the thread that I posted had any luck. Can you restore my message over there as well or can I just post again?
In an effort to keep relevant information in one place so that viewers don't have to search all over the forums looking for information, we generally merge multiple parallel threads into one. All of the information is still there, it's just now in one place.

We are not perfect, and occasionally a duplicate thread will escape our notice, as it has in this case. This usually happens when the older thread has aged out and fallen back a few pages in the forum list. It often takes someone "resurrecting" the aged thread to bring it back into our radar.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:18 PM

I went to my friend's house with the same 60GB as me. I tried her dongle my player was recognized. Then I tried my dongle and it was recognized and even in docking mode. Clearly now it is an issue with the software on the computer. I borrower her installation CD to uninstall and reinstall the player but no dice. I will experiment more by uninstalling the computer and then shutting it down. Then I'll try another install. I can safely assume that it's not an issue with my Zen thank goodness. Once again any suggestions are accepted. FYI, I do have WM11 and run XP.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

First, remove all Creative software before doing any other troubleshooting steps. Then focus on MTP and Drivers. To restore MTP compatibility, I would try to start as fresh as possible. Try uninstalling/rolling back WMP11 to the previous version (hopefully WMP10). If it doesn't roll back to WMP10, install it after WMP11 is removed. Test connecting the ZVM with WMP10 first to see if it gets recognized correctly. Check Device Manager to make sure the driver is loading correctly. Start there....

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

I rolled back WMP to 10. I uninstalled all the Creative products on my Add/Remove Hardware screen. However Creative still shows in Program folder. Should I delete it that or am I missing a step?

Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sure, delete it. If it isn't being detected *how do it look in Device Manager?), try reinstalling WMP10.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 AM

I didn't get a chance to delete the folder yet but I have a feeling this is not going to work. What would be the next step even after re-installing WMP10. Are there other programs to uninstall? What am I missing?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Upgrading to WMP11 again. This will give you a good reinstall of the latest and greatest Windows Media Framework for MTP support..... but try it with WMP10 and see.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM

Well I went to work on this yesterday and I went to turn on my computer and the power gave out. Looks like the power supply took a dump. Just what I need, another headache. I will report back in a few days. I've worked on my computer before but never had to change a power supply. Any tips?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What luck huh? Changing a power supply can look hard, but is actually easy to do. Before you start taking things apart, make sure you unplug it from the wall. It can be easy to do if you just swap the power supply, but leave the old one connected to everything. Then begin removing the connections and plugging in the new connections one at a time.

Here are a couple of links to help:

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Saw this thread and though I might update you on what happened when I talked to creative with the same problem. Basically they told me to look in device manager and it should be there. They just couldn't understand why it wasn't, and started emailing me instructions and requesting replies. I replied, saying that it was not recognised and eventually, they just stopped emailing me. Bummer, since now they stopped, my warranty ran out. Seems they stopped a week before with no solution

Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have they officially cut you off? I would ask (and ask until you got a response) since you did contact them and have been working on the issue since before the warranty expired.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 AM

Well they haven't officially cut me off. We had a computer crash about a week after I sent the last email, (I printed off all emails) and I was checking if they replied on a second computer. Now we have replaced the one that went kabomby, and I just gave up hope, as they haven't replied, and I was not really expecting a reply. I must have replied to at least 4 emails, saying that the player was not found in device manager. The replies I got back were how to locate the player in device manager. The emails were almost worded exactly the same, and I felt as if I wasn't actually emailing the creator of the product!
I was going to pester them, but I just dont want to (I know that might sound sad lol). Now I'm saving up money for an upgrade, although I will miss my ZVM, it has 30GB worth of movies on it . I can still watch them and charge the player from the wall so it's all good until the hard drive fails! lol

Thanks anyway BobbyRS and ABI for all your help!

Edit: I might start emailing again saying that I did not receive a reply last time. See if that might stur up some more encouragment to solve my problem

Last edited by copeys; 07-14-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added Text

Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks anyway BobbyRS and ABI for all your help!
It's no problem. I would keep bugging them just for the point of it, regardless. If you decide you want some additional help, just let us know.

Zen FAQ

Tags
recognized, usb not recognized