android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 07-15-2008, 07:28 AM

copeys, if you can please continue bugging them and let them know it's a major issue. If re-installing WM11 doesn't fix mine, I will join in on the harassment. This is too common of a problem for them not to issue a fix. Don't let them think since they're not selling like iPods that this will quietly go away.

Bobby,
Can you answer this issue I have regarding my power supply? I was changing it out and the one my bro-in-law gave me (parts wholesaler) has an auxiliary connector with 4 pins shaped in a rectangle while my motherboard has a 4 pin square connection. Any advice? Can I leave it unplugged since it's auxiliary? Is there an adapter or somewhere else on the board that I can plug it into?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Can you take a picture? The 4-pin P4 (square) connector is for the 12v supply in addition to the main ATX connector. This will need to be plugged in to get the proper power to operate. The 4-pin (rectangle) connector sounds like the typical molex peripheral connector for devices like IDE hard drives, optical drives, etc. It may also be the 4-pin floppy drive connector. See these charts for help:

Zen FAQ

Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

It's the 4 pin for the main power. He got me that was flat like **** instead of the square format. He'll get me another one. I tried with just the 20pin but it powered up for like 20 sec and then turned off.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, sorry to hear that. Once you get the right one, you should set. Good luck.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 AM

Excellent news!

I finally got the right power supply. I installed it and it successfully booted up. Then after running a few tests on my PC, I connected a 4GB flash drive I had purchased. That was finally recognized. I then tried connecting my Creative player and at first, it still had the regular play menu screen instead of docking. But then the PC recognized the drive and immediately installed it. Success!!! So I have two theories:

1) Not enough power to USB drive evidenced by power supply subsequently dying days later.

2) Un-installing WMP11. I still have 10 running but I didn't even touch it last night so I'm leaning towards theory 1.

Thanks for all your help guys. Thank God I didn't reformat the player. To all of you that have this same problem, exhaust ALL possible options before formatting your player. Computer software/hardware is so quirky that who knows why stuff happens.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
But then the PC recognized the drive and immediately installed it. Success!!!
Good to hear Doom! Nice job with getting it all resolved. Who really knows, it may have been a combination of all the issues; particulaly removing the Creative software and replacing the power supply.

Quote:
Thanks for all your help guys.
No problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Doom, I'm glad that your player got recognised...

Mine still has not yet been detected by the computer . After reading what you thought the problem might be, I have considered your experiences in my situation; and wonder why mine is still not being recognised. I think plugging it into 2 different computers might have fixed it as one computer would have recognised it, but no. I have even updated a computer (as the old one went kaboomy) and on even a 3rd computer the player has not been recognised.

BobbyRS, I am wondering why when my player is plugged into the computer, it does not charge. However, when plugged into the Creative wall charger (through the dongle) it does however charge.
Do you, or anyone else, know why this is?
(BTW If this is a noob type question... Sorry! )

Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, to catch myself back up....

- Your ZVM is functioning just fine by itself.
- Your ZVM turns on when plugged into a USB port but does not indicate charging (no flashing light)
- After being plugged in, it doesn't show "docked" or become detected by Windows.
- The ZVM driver does not show up in Device Manager.
- The ZVM doesn't get detected when connected and booted into Recovery Mode.
- Tested on XP and Vista and get the same result.
- Tested on 3 different computers with same result.

Does that sound accurate?

To me, it sounds like a possible firmware issue, but seeing how you get the same result when booted into Recovery Mode (bypassing the firmware)....

Forgive me for the simple questions, but I need to ask:

What firmware version is installed?
Have you booted into Recovery Mode and done a Cleanup?
Have you reloaded the firmware?
Have you tried using a different USB 2.0 cable?
Do you have or have access to another dongle to try?
Do you have WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed?<O>
Do you have WMP10 or 11 installed?<O></O>
Do you have the Creative Software installed?<O></O>
Do you get an audible alert and/or notification bubble when you connect it to the computer?

If the driver were to load correctly, you should see the ZVM load under the category of Potable Devices if MTP is properly installed.

Quote:
BobbyRS, I am wondering why when my player is plugged into the computer, it does not charge. However, when plugged into the Creative wall charger (through the dongle) it does however charge.
Do you, or anyone else, know why this is?
(BTW If this is a noob type question... Sorry! )
<!-- / message -->

From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
Before the USB bus interface can begin charging a device (Zen), it must return a device identifier to the hub driver (or device driver). Once the hub driver has the returned information from the device (like power requirements, supported transfer speeds, etc.), it can then begin charging the device based on those retuned values. This process is called Enumeration. Until enumeration has completed, it may not draw more than 100mA from the bus. Once enumeration has completed, it can then begin drawing up to the 500mA allowed by the USB bus.
When charging with an AC charger, the enumeration process is basically bypassed which allows the charger to begin charging the device with full current directly after you plug it in. Since your ZVM isn't being detected properly by a computer (not completing enumeration/driver loading), the computer never allows for the full USB charging current of up to 500mA.</O>

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM

I had the luxury of having a friend with the same player as mine. I used their dongle first on their computer when testing. If you don't have that luxury, did you try a direct USB to player wire from Ebay? Eliminating the dongle from the equation would be my first move.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Doom:

From here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
If there is a problem with the dongle, cable, or even the ports (pins), it could cause this problem. On the USB cable, you have 4 pins; Power, Ground, Data+, and Data-. If there is a misalignment with the pins or the cable is bad, it could detect the power coming through the power pin, but not necessarily from the data pins. You mentioned you have tried jiggling the dongle, but have you tried another cable or taken a close look at the pins on the data port and dongle to make sure that none are bent or misaligned?
From here:

Quote:
You can try getting another dongle somewhere or even one of those cables that will connect directly to the data port eliminating the dongle.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Well, to catch myself back up....

- Your ZVM is functioning just fine by itself.
- Your ZVM turns on when plugged into a USB port but does not indicate charging (no flashing light)
- After being plugged in, it doesn't show "docked" or become detected by Windows.
- The ZVM driver does not show up in Device Manager.
- The ZVM doesn't get detected when connected and booted into Recovery Mode.
- Tested on XP and Vista and get the same result.
- Tested on 3 different computers with same result.

Does that sound accurate? </O>
Yes

Quote:
To me, it sounds like a possible firmware issue, but seeing how you get the same result when booted into Recovery Mode (bypassing the firmware)....

Forgive me for the simple questions, but I need to ask:

What firmware version is installed?
Have you booted into Recovery Mode and done a Cleanup?
Have you reloaded the firmware?
Have you tried using a different USB 2.0 cable?
Do you have or have access to another dongle to try?
Do you have WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed?<O>
Do you have WMP10 or 11 installed?<O></O>
Do you have the Creative Software installed?<O></O>
Do you get an audible alert and/or notification bubble when you connect it to the computer?

If the driver were to load correctly, you should see the ZVM load under the category of Potable Devices if MTP is properly installed.
</O>
First off, It's o.k asking the simple questions, sometimes it's the simple things that resolve a problem! lol

What firmware version is installed? 1.62.02
Have you booted into Recovery Mode and done a Cleanup? Yes
Have you reloaded the firmware? I am not willing, as I am scared the computer will continue to not recognise it. Then my player will be unfunctional !!!!
Have you tried using a different USB 2.0 cable? Yep
Do you have or have access to another dongle to try? No, Bummer hey? lol
Do you have WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed? No, Vista<O>
Do you have WMP10 or 11 installed? Yes, 11<O></O>
Do you have the Creative Software installed? Yes<O></O>
Do you get an audible alert and/or notification bubble when you connect it to the computer? No

This is happening on 2 different computers. Both Vista and WMP 11 Installed, one with the creative software installed, one without.

New Symptom - The player is fully charged and when pluged into the computer, displays the "full" indicator. This puzzled me, as it doesn't charge when just sitting there connected to it.

If I were to Reload the firmware from Recovery Mode, and it would not pick up the new firmware, that would pretty much stuff it wouldn't it?

I am thinking about taking the player to skool to test it out on one of their computers (they have recently got New XP's). If it does work, I will try and reinstall the firmware from there.

Once again thanks for your advice/help.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
First off, It's o.k asking the simple questions, sometimes it's the simple things that resolve a problem! lol

Yeah, I know that and you know that, but some people get upset when asked.
<o></o>
<o></o>
Ok, first.... remove the Creative software. You really don't need it at all, especially since you are using <st1>Vista</st1>. The Creative software when used with Vista is extremely buggy and can interfere with <st1></st1>native MTP support (cause connection/detection issues).<o></o>
<o></o>
The next step I would try is to find another computer to test with. I know you have tried 3 different computers, but since you mention you have access to others, it can still be worth a shot since it is easy for you to do. However, it does seem as though the issue is with the ZVM and not the computer (possibly dongle related). Have you checked to make sure you don't see any misaligned pins on the dongles connector or the data port on the ZVM? Does the dongle seem to be loose when connected? With the ZVM connected to the computer, if you wiggle the dongle around, does the computer ever detect anything?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Okay, Uninstalling the software did nothing, it continued not to dock.

Jiggling the dongle/USB cord didn't help, and there doesn't seem to be any damaged/misaligned pins, but I would not be able to tell since I've never actually had a close look up until now.

I will go to skool and test it out on the computers at school, as you say it's worth a shot. If not, I agree with your diagnosis, the dongle has had it

Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 AM

Reporting about what happened on the school computers - nothing. So there is nothing to say really lol. The computers (the 2 I attempted it on) would not indicate they had picked something up. As I am not allowed to access the control panel (the administrator has disalowed it for all users and it annoys me) I was not able to find out even if it was in device manager.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it's not uncommon for schools to have the USB port disabled. Do you know if other USB devices work fine on them? If the driver loads fine, the ZVM should show under My Computer as a Portable Device as well as WMP should be able to detect it. Anyway, the fact that you didn't get any kind of visual or audio notification either means the ports are disabled or you are having the same problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 AM

yeah, I beleive it is a problem with the dongle/pins on the player. I will try and look around for one, but I am wanting to upgrade to a newer player
...I want something that has a touch screen (I just prefer them even if I do have to take it out of my pocket to change the volume) and also wi-fi internet browser as we recently installed wi-fi and would like to use it to access the internet when my family is using the computers... Anyway a little off topic

Thanks BobbyRS for your help and advice once again, and ABI

Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I will try and look around for one, but I am wanting to upgrade to a newer player
The ZVM is well worth the effort and money spent on getting it back to working order. Here are a few places you can get a new dongle.

Quote:
Thanks BobbyRS for your help and advice once again, and ABI
No problem. Good luck with which ever you decide to do.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Bobby, I need your help regarding the power supply of my pc. The new one seems to not work 100%. The computer eventually freezed when it's on for more than like a half hour. It also lags big time in operations like watching streaming video. With the old supply that was not an issue. I plugged in the main connector and the 12V. Also the computer smells like something is getting hot. any ideas?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you get a good power supply? Is this one new or another from your brother-in-law? Freezing and overheating can go hand-in-hand with power related problems. Make sure all of your fans are connected and working properly. It sounds like you may still need a replacement Power Supply if you have verified that everything is connected correctly and running properly.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 PM

It was a new one from him. I'll further investigate...

Tags
recognized, usb not recognized