android
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Default glowing navigation buttons?

i was wondering if there was a mod to get the navigation buttons to light up/glow.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2008, 03:23 PM

glow in the dark paint! buy the kind that dries on clear and glows green

Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 PM

oh i was thinking something along the lines of just the symbols on the buttons light up, instead of the whole button lighting up.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM

carve them out really carefully with a pen knife?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 PM

If you are disparate, Take the pieces out, it's possible, they still work, just are a little loose in the system, and make a mold out of the piece, or pieces, and use some kind of melted, clear plastic to fill the mold, it could work. Then, because of the LEDs powering the click/scroll wheel (can't remember) will light the buttons! man, I'm good! If you do it, post a tutorial on how you actually did it!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Illuminated nav buttons, eh??

Looking at the v2 device, one can see where the design fell short in the field.

Look closely at the illuminated scroll wheel. Now look at the scroll wheel from an acute angle, through the navigation buttons.

See something?

The buttons are clear, with a screened-on logo on the button face. Light passes through the button, but can't illuminate the logos on them.

If the logos were etched into the button, with an opaqueness (allowing light to pass though the logo and scatter), the logos would light up.

The second problem is in the back of the buttons. There needs to be sufficient line of transmission for the light to "pipe" through the clear button.

The back side of the button is okay, as it must be dark, with a clear button. It's the inner edge that needs a wee bit more light. Rorate the Sansa v2 so that you are looking into the side edge of the nav buttons, and you'll see that they could indeed have four cool glowing logos, with a little work.

If only I had a wee rotary pin bit to etch the logos in place of the screened ones...

If you have a damaged Sansa, it's worth the experiment, to implement the missing part of the design.

I firmly believe that illuminated quadrant nav buttons was part of the original design concept, but production missed this goal.

Who wants to try it?

Bob

Old 01-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Hmm, I've got some very small engraving tips that might work. That and a little tiny dab of epoxy with a whitener in it might do. I'll have to experiment with additives for the epoxy, and get a little practice with the engraver on a similar grade of plastic. This is going to be real small finicky work.

I've got a refurb e280 on the way so I'll have the spare parts along with my e250. If I decide to give this a try I'll post again, with pictures. I bought the e280 not because I expected it to work right, but because I wanted to pull the memory module and battery for my e250.

I don't think this will work for the power button though. It's doesn't have enough light running through it.

Last edited by leadgolem; 01-01-2009 at 08:25 AM.