android
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Default RockBox for T10

Is it possible? I beleive RockBox is open source, but would it be possible to program it to run on the T10?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM

No, i dont think so, They would probably allready maid one. But maybee it is some 240x320 V rockbox that may work.

// Oscar

Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 AM

Yes it would be possible, but without Manufacturer support (like Sandisk provided for the e2xx series) it requires a significant time investment and a reasonable level of programming skill.

Given Samsung are actively continually improving the official firmware, I'm not sure that the benefits of Rockbox are worth that investment for sufficiently skilled people.

It's a great project for tightly locked down firmwares (like iPod) or for abandoned products like Toshiba gigabeat (my previous player). I was involved in the gigabeat port.. it took 6 months work by a group of 10 developers to get it up and running..

If you're keen and have the skill though, it's a very helpful and supportive community, quite a worthwhile experience..

Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 AM

6 month...... 10 developers? Now that is nerdy, If it was private and not a company.
All computers, mobiles, mp3s .etc can be modded patched or recoded. So let say that yu all wanit a few more games to the T10, Well that could be done if somebody did it. The point i want to come to is that in this forum youll maybe wright as a threads lable.... More themes? and what you whrigt in the text is, Hi, is it possible to make some more themes to the T10? ......
Then someone may answer..... No Never. : but that is pssible all that things is possible. IF someone would do it!

And please forgive me for that i whrigten before in this thread.. I didnt think .

Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Well, thanks, but I don't think I'm going to put six months into developing it!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Rockbox sure could be ported to the T10... just somebody has to do it.

Read more about it here: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/NewPort

Quote:
First, don't ask Rockbox developers when they are going to port Rockbox to your platform. Ports are made by people who want to port, they are not done on request.

Then, assume that only actual owners of the target devices will be involved and interested enough to actually contribute to the down-to-metal porting. Nobody can port Rockbox to a device he/she doesn't have.

Porting Rockbox can be everything from hard work to extremely hard and time consuming work. Try to gather as many interested friends and fans as possible so that the whole burden isn't put on one single human.

The Rockbox developers can and will try to help out with development, advice, hints and other general things, but only as much as they can and if they have the time.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 PM

The reason it takes so long without manufacturer support is that development is done by trial and error until someone strikes it lucky with the right combination of settings..
It's also done in the spare time of developers...they're not employees of Rockbox, Rockbox isn't a company, the developers are just owners like you and me..
With manufacturer support, providing documentation for all the components as well as some software support, the Sansa e2xx series Rockbox port was up and running with full stability in about 6 weeks (estimated..)

It might be worth petitioning Samsung to open up Theme management.. this is about the only highly requested "feature" that Rockbox would add to the T10.. The T10 already has excellent audio codec support and much better video codec support than Rockbox..

Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 AM

Having the T10 firmware open sourced would be a dream...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Yeah, and the ability to edit the games would be really nice too!