android
Old 12-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Default MPEG4 protected iTunes files

This christmas I gave to myself a Creative ZEN 4Gb, so far I'm lovin it but I have some questions.
I use itunes to download music, but when I try to transfer to ZEN, it doesnt work, it says that its a MPEG4 protected file What can I do about this? Any clue?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 PM

Zen only supports iTunes Plus tracks. Not the regular iTunes tracks with DRM

Old 12-27-2007, 04:17 PM

I've found a way!!!
I ripped the iTunes music to a cd using WMP and I've added the files from the cd to the ZEN.
The only thing that you need to do in the ZEN is manually insert the title, artist and album in the files.
But thks anyway

Old 12-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Oh yea I've heard of that solution before. Great that you have found a solution!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM

If you burn the tracks in Itunes, by setting up a play list, and ripping it back in Itunes, it will insert the title, artist, and any other info.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Angry will the creative zen play itunes songs (acc/m4p/mp4)

feelin quite annoyed with apple ipod to be honest! ive had a nano 2gb ipod for about a year and have used all the memory on it so i need a new one, however i dont want to pay the prices 4 the ipod, which to be honest dont compare to the others out there anyway. I cant seem to find any portable audio devices that will play the itunes format apart from the creative zen, which claims to play itunes plus. does anyone kno if it plays the original itunes format or kno of an mp3 player that will?

cheers

Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM

The "iTunes format" is nothing more than AAC. The Creative Zen will play unprotected iTunes Plus tracks as well as CD rips from iTunes (M4A). Any DRM'ed tracks that you may have purchased through iTunes will not play on Zen.

You're on the right track to upgrading from iPod. Zen is fantastic!!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo777 View Post
The "iTunes format" is nothing more than AAC. The Creative Zen will play unprotected iTunes Plus tracks as well as CD rips from iTunes (M4A). Any DRM'ed tracks that you may have purchased through iTunes will not play on Zen.

You're on the right track to upgrading from iPod. Zen is fantastic!!
cheers for your reply. so prety much im out of luck with all the itunes music i bought which isnt itunes PLUS? i think everything before they brought out plus was DRM'ed?

any suggestions for another player that will play all the DRM'ed itunes stuff?

taaa

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM

No other player plays DRMed iTunes files - the iPod is a severely closed ecosystem. You can google for hints on how to remove the FairPlay DRM, but we don't discuss these issues in here, due to legal reasons.

Please don't post redundant threads, it just adds clutter to the forum.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 AM

What do you mean, you "used all the memory on it"!?

Are you asking for bigger, say, 8gb player?

Oh! it just got combined! That was weird.

I get it now …

Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
What do you mean, you "used all the memory on it"!?

Are you asking for bigger, say, 8gb player?

Oh! it just got combined! That was weird.

I get it now
yeah, i dont want another ipod tho, altho it seems i dont have the choice!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseffpe View Post
yeah, i dont want another ipod tho, altho it seems i dont have the choice!
Why don't you keep your Nano – just for the DRM'ed iTunes Store songs, and buy another device for all the rest? Just find something that can play MP4s.

That's what I'd do. (well, except for not buying drm'ed music in the first place, for this exact reason …)

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Why don't you keep your Nano just for the DRM'ed iTunes Store songs, and buy another device for all the rest? Just find something that can play MP4s.

That's what I'd do. (well, except for not buying drm'ed music in the first place, for this exact reason )
haha cheers for that. i have a possible (altho time consuming) solution. I could burn all my drm'ed stuff to cd and rip it back to my computer using windows media player so it wud then be in WMA format. the good thing about windows media is it has the lossless setting so u dont lose quality when ripping music. does this sound sensible or am i going down the wrong route? i dnt kno much about this stuff!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
haha cheers for that. i have a possible (altho time consuming) solution. I could burn all my drm'ed stuff to cd and rip it back to my computer using windows media player so it wud then be in WMA format. the good thing about windows media is it has the lossless setting so u dont lose quality when ripping music. does this sound sensible or am i going down the wrong route? i dnt kno much about this stuff!
Well, as dfkt mentioned, people are not allowed to talk about how to break the DRM.

But, I guess, that since it is possible to burn a cd with those tracks, it'll be all right to say at least this:
You _will_ lose even more quality when you convert a lossy file into a wav/aiff-file. You should try with a non-drm'ed song. First have it converted into 128kbps AAC-file, and then convert it back again to a wav-file (or a lossless of your choice or aiff). That could tell you the story whether that route is the route to go for you.

Edit: Just pm'ed you.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You _will_ lose even more quality when you convert a lossy file into a wav/aiff-file.
Converting from a lossy format to an uncompressed format (note: I didn't say "lossless") will not further degrade quality since, in this case, WAV uses the PCM codec which can fully represent each bit (read 1's and 0's) from the source. The further degradation will come when you inevitably have to re-compress the WAV files back into something like MP3.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
That is about the only legal way of removing the DRM so it can be discussed here. Just keep in mind that not very many players support the WMA Lossless format and I don't think there is a Zen on the market that supports WMA Lossless either. Just how many songs do you have in the DRM iTunes Store format? If it is over 300 then I suggest that you just stick with the iPod brand. I know that is not what you want but an 80GB iPod classic can be picked up for $250 from retail stores and even cheaper online. 300 songs means that you spent about $300 in the iTunes Store, I think that is a lot of money to waste just to transcode to another lossy format to lose quality.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
That is about the only legal way of removing the DRM so it can be discussed here. Just keep in mind that not very many players support the WMA Lossless format and I don't think there is a Zen on the market that supports WMA Lossless either. Just how many songs do you have in the DRM iTunes Store format? If it is over 300 then I suggest that you just stick with the iPod brand. I know that is not what you want but an 80GB iPod classic can be picked up for $250 from retail stores and even cheaper online. 300 songs means that you spent about $300 in the iTunes Store, I think that is a lot of money to waste just to transcode to another lossy format to lose quality.
hey thanks for clearning that up, i wasnt sure whether it was legal or not! yeah its a good few hundred as my 2gb ipod is full :-/ will the zen support the tracks if i ripped them without using lossless and used a constant bitrate?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Yes, Zen does not support lossless codecs and does support VBR and CBR.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 PM

would converting the drm'ed track fix it or would it still be locked?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo777 View Post
Converting from a lossy format to an uncompressed format (note: I didn't say "lossless") will not further degrade quality since, in this case, WAV uses the PCM codec which can fully represent each bit (read 1's and 0's) from the source. The further degradation will come when you inevitably have to re-compress the WAV files back into something like MP3.
Hmm. When it's first converted to a wav, there will be no further degradation if you make it lossless. Lossless it just like your original, assuming the lossless codec can handle the bit rates and kHz. Of course, you don't want to go directly from mp3 to a lossless format, but that's another story.

I think you're confusing something here. Wav is usually pcm, as you correctly state, but as it's just a container, it can actually contain lossy formats (it's true try renaming an mp3 to .wav) and as such it can still "decode" the lossy format. However, if you convert a lossy format to pcm, it _will_ degrade there already. Of course, the biggest degradation will come when you once again encode it into a lossy format.